Wedding Etiquette Forum

Best way to get info out about about after party?

FI and I have reserved a restaurant/bar for an after party after our reception that will go from around 10:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.  The bar is about a mile away from our venue.

I know normally this info would just be spread via word of mouth , but we are shuttling many of our guests to and from the wedding from a hotel about 10 miles away, and would therefore need to shuttle them to and from the bar as well.  

Our venue is quite literally in the middle of nowhere, and the shuttles are coming from a city an hour away, so we'll need a good head count of who plans on attending the afterparty and who isn't ahead of time so we can schedule the shuttles accordingly. 

Any advice on how to handle the logistics? Including info about the afterparty with the invite and asking people to RSVP yes or no to it as well seems ... weird ... but I'm not sure how else we would get an accurate count.  

Re: Best way to get info out about about after party?

• I'm thinking word of mouth is going to be your best bet.  Does your family and close friends know about the after party? They will most likely be the ones to be hangin' around long enough to go.  

You mentioned a shuttle, so would the shuttle also transport them from reception to after party, and then after party back to hotel?

We are doing an after party as well, and I have put it in the bridesmaids notes as well as any correspondance I have with family, as an FYI, which is then followed up with, "don't feel obligated".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_best-way-to-get-info-about-about-after-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:981914c1-c422-4087-857e-ddcf6193a9a5Post:9c943d60-350d-4310-93a8-0c69b64f3e59">Re: Best way to get info out about about after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking word of mouth is going to be your best bet.  Does your family and close friends know about the after party? They will most likely be the ones to be hangin' around long enough to go.   You mentioned a shuttle, so would the shuttle also transport them from reception to after party, and then after party back to hotel? We are doing an after party as well, and I have put it in the bridesmaids notes as well as any correspondance I have with family, as an FYI, which is then followed up with, "don't feel obligated".
    Posted by triciaholden1987[/QUOTE]

<div>Great point - we can probably guess pretty accurately who will attend and who won't. The shuttle would take them from the reception to the after party, then back to the hotel at the end of the night. What worries me is that guests who don't have their cars with them that we haven't anticipated will decide they want to go, and if we don't have enough shuttles it would take an hour to get another one.  I guess technically it's a walkable distance, but not for women in heels. :-S I like your idea of circulating the info beforehand and trying to guestimate how many will really attend. Thanks!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_best-way-to-get-info-about-about-after-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:981914c1-c422-4087-857e-ddcf6193a9a5Post:93c2aca1-6d35-4aa1-88d9-3a75ea7acb70">Re: Best way to get info out about about after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best way to get info out about about after party? : Great point - we can probably guess pretty accurately who will attend and who won't. The shuttle would take them from the reception to the after party, then back to the hotel at the end of the night. What worries me is that guests who don't have their cars with them that we haven't anticipated will decide they want to go, and if we don't have enough shuttles it would take an hour to get another one.  I guess technically it's a walkable distance, but not for women in heels. :-S I like your idea of circulating the info beforehand and trying to guestimate how many will really attend. Thanks!
    Posted by OjitosVerdes[/QUOTE]

<div>No problem- glad I could help :)  I'm glad I am not the only one doing the after party thing! :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the after party is only a mile away can't the shuttle just take some people and then drive back to the venue and pick up more people? If it's only a mile it should only be a wait of a few minutes for the guests in the second trip.
  • OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_best-way-to-get-info-about-about-after-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:981914c1-c422-4087-857e-ddcf6193a9a5Post:07b24835-2ba5-4e25-9e90-b72f33e8584d">Re: Best way to get info out about about after party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the after party is only a mile away can't the shuttle just take some people and then drive back to the venue and pick up more people? If it's only a mile it should only be a wait of a few minutes for the guests in the second trip.
    Posted by tammym1001[/QUOTE]

<div>That is absolutely true - I forgot to mention - if it were just the bridal party, closest friends and family coming, we weren't going to get the shuttle for between the venue and afterparty, as we're all staying at our venue, would have our cars, have have willing DDs that don't really drink among us.  I suppose what we could do then is maybe just reserve one shuttle and have it take trips if more people decide to come.  Although they aren't "shuttles" as much as they are small vans, so I'm still concerned that there could be a wait if the van ends up having to make 10 trips or something - the road to get there is a back road and so even though it's just a mile, it's still about a 7 minute round trip. </div><div>
    </div><div>Edited to add - and if we had the shuttle make rounds, although it might work to get people to the bar, it would be a problem at the end of the night because we'd have to get all of those additional guests back to their hotel, which is a 20 minute round trip drive.  And at that time of night, I'm not sure if we could call and get additional vans. </div><div>
    </div><div>I know this shouldn't be this difficult! We really want to provide the shuttle service so people don't have to worry about driving (those staying at the more distant hotel would also have to go through an immigration checkpoint on the way back :-S, but figuring out who is going to be going where and reserving these shuttles is a huge PITA. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards