New Jersey

Monday Wedding yes or no

So after trying to figure out a wedding day, we really thinking about having the wedding Monday September 1, 2014 Labor Day. Do you guys think it is a bad idea? It would still be an evening wedding but my guess is that it will end by 11pm, not 12 or 1am, like my family is accustomed to. Another option could be August 28th, but really wanted to get married in September.

Re: Monday Wedding yes or no

• If it's what you and your fiance really want to do and will be happy with? Then yes, do what makes you happy.

But keep in mind that even though most people will have off of work that day, they will have work the next day. Meaning that some people will not be able to come at all (a lot of people often go away for Labor Day weekend) and most people will most likely leave early (even if it is until 11pm) and not drink very much. If those things will damper your experience, then I'd re-think the idea.

End of August / Early September are not likely to be vastly different in terms of weather, so why not go with August 28th? (I really wanted an October wedding but ended up in April...so I understand!)
  • Sure why not the people you really want to be there will be there. Keep in mind when you agree on your min the usual percentage of no's is 20% being its a holiday I'd count on 40% being no
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Don't have it on a holiday Monday *just* so you can have a September date.   There will be no seasonal difference.  If you really want September, why not later in September?

I don't agree that "the people who you want to be there will be there."  If it's a major inconvenience for them, they won't come.  Now, if you've talked to your VIPs and they are cool with it, then that's another story.  Also keep in mind that most schools start back after Labor Day and that could be a big factor if you have younger family members, or family members who are teachers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Thanks jcg98 and everyone else. I didn't think about the kids, while we are having adults only, people still have children so they might have school the next day. I have to really think this thing.

• I disagree with PP who said those who you want to be there will be. That may not be true in all cases. If you want to do Labor Day, why not do it as a daytime thing? Or at least an earlier evening thing? This way if those who need to be up early for work the next day, or to get their kids off to school can do so without having to worry.
  • Earlier Evening thing can work. Don't really want to do Daytime, but early evening is a good possibility. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.
  • I am having my wedding on Labor Day of this year. I did check with the most important people before I booked. You can't make everyone happy. My venue is still charging Sunday rates and not weekday like Thurs night rates. We had a small timeframe to work with since my FI is in the military.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is there a specific reason you are having a Monday wedding?  Honeslty if it's a money thing the Monday of Labor Day weekend isn't going to be discounted.  It may work if you have it earlier in the day but 11 pm is way to late on a work night.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I suppose since people have Sunday weddings, it's kind of the same thing - but I'd have it earlier in the day.   If it goes until 11:00, people are going to leave early and I think that kind of will put a damper on the whole thing.  You don't want people starting off the night thinking about what time they'll be able to leave.     

• There's nothing wrong with a Monday wedding on a holiday weekend, but in defferance to those guests who need to travel, it should be an earlier wedding with the reception ending by 5 or 6.
  • Thanks everyone, yes it is cause a money thing, but have to decide if its enough for us to have it end earlier. The venues I have contacted, all are wlling to give me Thursday prices for that Monday, so it opens up so much more options. I have a lot of family and very close family friends and just want everyone to be there. I am going to discuss with the VIP, I'll let you guys know the outcome :-)
  • My thing is if you are going to pay per person a rate to have unlimited bar and what not isn't it sort of a waste to pay for it if most people wont drink due to having to go back to work the next day or prep for kids going back to school. I think the sunday before is a better option but if you want september I would go with another date but that just my humble opinion.
  • I would say no because people will have to work the next day so it might be inconvenient for your guests.  This is the same reason why I'm not a fan of Sunday weddings either.  Also, it's a holiday weekend so a lot of people might be away....or planned on being away.

I would do as PP said and clear it with VIPs.  Maybe feel it out with the people you plan to invite and see what type of feedback you get.  

Good luck and congrats!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my wedding the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and it worked out perfectly for people's schedules and my budget.  However, we did have a few who couldn't make it because of prior committements for that weekend.  Just make sure you talk it over with the VIPs before, and send STDs a little earlier (like Jan) to give the head's up.  My venue did weddings Thurs-Mon of Labor Day weekend and they were all packed.  A Monday holiday weekend wedding is really no diff from a Sunday wedding, so just make sure you treat it as so.  

One thing I want to give a heads up about regarding a holiday weekend wedding.  I'm not sure where you're looking to book your venue, but I got married down the shore and I had to make sure I negotiated very well with hotels to get a good rate that didn't require a 2-night min, so booking early to get 2013 rates is key.  I also had a really hard time finding a place to hold our rehearsal dinner b/c most places with private rooms were opening up to the public to accomodate for the holiday weekend crowds, but we had an earlier lunch and everything worked out great for us.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards