New Jersey

Venue help

Hi all,

I'm having a really hard time finding a venue! We're looking for someplace that we can do ceremony outside and then reception inside. Want the style of the inside to be a bit more contempory, not your standard wedding hall or rustic barn. We're pretty open to location (basically anywhere within a few hours driving distance of NYC) and budget. Venue doesn't have to have its own catering, we have a caterer we know we like, but does have to have great food (if they don't allow outside caterers)

Any ideas??

Re: Venue help

• I think we need more info: of guests Price range VERY important Exactly how far are you willing to travel? Some people Say a few hours then get suggestions in AC and say that's too far
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_venue-help-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:950b011c-8730-4cab-abc6-53904466698bPost:f7d416c7-2754-499a-9547-ad8eba94dd1e">Re:Venue help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we need more info: of guests Price range VERY important Exactly how far are you willing to travel? Some people Say a few hours then get suggestions in AC and say that's too far
    Posted by gelaine22[/QUOTE]

<div>Good point! Clearly I need all the help I can get!</div><div>We're talking about ~140 guests</div><div>Willing to travel ~2, maybe up to 3, hours driving distance from NYC, any direction</div><div>Price range we were thinking was ~150-250 pp (before fees and tax) but willing to adjust for the right venue.</div>
  • Look at the Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, New Jersey. There's a really cool scuplture garden stretched across huge park and then Rat's Restaurant for the reception. Their website isn't that good, but if you google "Grounds for Sculpture wedding" you can see some photographers blogs that give a better sense of the space.

This was a top 3 venue for us. And I've been to the restaurant many times and always been blown away by the food.
  • I'm getting married at Valenzano Winery in Shamong, NJ. It's an hour and a half from NYC and a little under an hour from Philly. The ceremony is outside by the vineyards and the reception is in the "ballroom" which is not a typical NJ wedding venue ballroom at all. 

They have a list of preferred caterers on their site but I'm using Ultimate Caterer out of Marlboro, NJ  (they're not listed on the website). The winery doesn't charge any fee for having a wedding there but you do have to purchase a wine package from them for the event. 

• Liberty House or it's sister venue. Also, Maritime Parc. What about some of the lofts in the city? I think with your price range of up to 250pp before tax there are LOTS of possibilities. I would pick up a local NJ or NY Knot or bridal magazine and start from there. Also, the Brooklyn museum or the Camden Aquarium.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Maritime Parc

Tappan Hill (in Westchester / right over the TZ Bridge)

Tribeca Rooftop (NYC)

Capitale (NYC) - this might be a little too big though

September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SUPER helpful, thanks all!

The reception space at Maritime Parc and Tribeca rooftop are exactly what I'm looking for, but I really want to have an outdoor ceremony with grass and trees and real outside space. Are there any places with similar indoor style, that also have grounds?

I visited Stone House and Liberty House - Stone House is really close to what I'm looking for, but I just wasn't quite sold. Liberty House may have just been having a bad day, but they were awful when we visited... Not good customer service, everything was dingy and dirty, and the food at the restaurant was not good - was quite disapointing as they were my top choice from online research!
  • If you do Maritime Parc, you could always get married in Liberty State Park.  The park itself is beautiful and I'm sure the venue will be able to help with details.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Try Glen Island Harbour Club in New Rochelle. It is a little more on the catering hall side but they have a beautiful ballroom which overlooks the Long Island Sound and they have an outdoor ceremony area.

They do 2 events at a time but have separate entrances and stagger arrival/departure times so you really have no idea there's another event going on. I promise... we just went to our friend's wedding there & never would have known. Food was delicious too! Ask to work with Rocco - he's awesome!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards