Plus-Sized
Options

Fat rolls and Wedding Dresses

I'm trying to figure how it is that I see so many plus size women in wedding dresses without a single fat roll in sight.  Do the dresses lay a certain way most of the time that keeps "fat rolls" from showing?  I am wanting to know so I can not dread the whole "wedding dress" shopping as much as I do ..... 

This is my second post in this "plus size" board.  Sorry so many posts!  I'm just clueless about weddings and dresses!

Re: Fat rolls and Wedding Dresses

• Options
    jessi3617jessi3617 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    When I went dress shopping I thought the same thing. I had a great consultant she was amazing. She asked me if I had any concerns and I told her I didn't want it to look like I had rolls all over. She assured me there wouldn't be. And she was right. I didn't see one. So I think it's how the dress lays
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It really does depend upon the style of the dress and details of the fabric.  I've found that rouching does wonders for me.  I was pretty sure that I would only look good in A-Line dresses, but the dress that I feel in love with is a fit&flare/mermaid style.  I never would have thought in a million years that I could wear a silhouette like that. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    For me, I found corset-back dresses helped the most.  They pull and suck in those fat rolls to give you a lovely, womanly shape.  I really, really love the look of a button-back dress, but I bought a corset back dress because it makes such a difference.  Button back dresses can work for us plus sized ladies as well, but they need more help from foundation garments and alterations to achieve a similar result.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_fat-rolls-and-wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:b6c5ea3d-3dd2-41b4-bb00-009716c49dddPost:45d5cb43-4738-4cc2-ab38-179d085ab47b">Re: Fat rolls and Wedding Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me, I found corset-back dresses helped the most.  They pull and suck in those fat rolls to give you a lovely, womanly shape.  I really, really love the look of a button-back dress, but I bought a corset back dress because it makes such a difference.  Button back dresses can work for us plus sized ladies as well, but they need more help from foundation garments and alterations to achieve a similar result.
    Posted by Ven&Radio[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>The corset-back does wonders.  I used to be really opposed to it, and like Ven&Radio, I love the look of the buttons.  But after putting on a dress with a corset and having the bridal consultant properly lace it up, it looked and felt great!  </div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    For the corset, be careful.  All that tugging puts the fat somewhere and it is usually up, leaving you spilling over in your back and lifting the girls too high.  Make sure any dress you try on is flattering in the front and the back and when you are sitting!
  • Options
    RaptorSLHRaptorSLH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Fat rolls and Wedding Dresses:
    [QUOTE]For the corset, be careful.  All that tugging puts the fat somewhere and it is usually up, leaving you spilling over in your back and lifting the girls too high.  Make sure any dress you try on is flattering in the front and the back and when you are sitting!
    Posted by stampadhesive[/QUOTE]

True, but depends on the fit and how you lace it.  In my case, I was terrified of this effect with my own corset back, but it only happened when it was laced too losely, and sagged a bit.  One of the nice things with a corset back is if it does losen up (as many dresses do in the eveniing), it can be retightened again.  Not so a zipper back.  

I just had my maid of honor relace me and I was good to go.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards