• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Ceremony and Vow Ideas

No ushers: Pick a seat, not a side sign

My fiancé and I have decided to not have ushers but a sign at the entrance saying "as two families become one, we ask that you pick a seat not a side"
I'm just not sure where to get or how to make the sign???

Re: No ushers: Pick a seat, not a side sign

• I'm not sure you need a sign.  I've been to 20+ weddings.  Not many of them had ushers and so we just sat wherever we wanted.  I think the bride/groom side thing is dying out.  
  • No sign necessary. 
  • We didn't have ushers or a sign and everyone managed to seat themselves.  Many still took the traditional bride or groom side, some did not.  Doesn't really matter.
  • No sign. People know they can sit wherever they want.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I will be doing the same. I am getting my dad to make a sign out of wood.  He loves wood working so I will be having him make several signs!!!
  • You could print something and put it up on an easel, buy a sign, make a sign, etc.

As PPs have pointed out, though, you don't necessarily need it. People will seat themselves if there are no ushers. They might split up by sides or they might not. It's fine either way.

Are you wanting to change an assigned Knottie# name to a custom username? Hover over your avatar/name at the top right, click My Account, then click Change My Username
  • i have seen this idea on Pinterest, and I thought it was a really cute touch!  I was thinking of getting some wood and having the FI paint a sign but my wedding is an outdoor wedding so that would go with it...... Otherwise you could do an easel...... Or make a framed Chalkboard that you could write on.......
  • We didn't have ushers early. Our groomsman sat people and they used both sides so that it was even regardless of bride/groom.
  • Vistaprint make signs.  We actually did one similar that said "If you're here, you're family.  Please take a seat whereever you'd like."

• lplionslplions
    1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    I bought a picture frame from Goodwill ($3) and painted the words onto the glass. I'm putting fabric behind the glass so it gives it some color.
    Majide
  • In Response to Re: No ushers: Pick a seat, not a side sign:
    [QUOTE]Vistaprint make signs.  We actually did one similar that said "If you're here, you're family.  Please take a seat whereever you'd like."
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I really like this wording.  To me, saying "Pick a seat, not a side" comes off snarky.  I could be in the minority here, but the wording just seems abrasive to me.  I like cmg's wording!
  • zobirdzobird
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    In Response to Re: No ushers: Pick a seat, not a side sign:
    [QUOTE]I bought a picture frame from Goodwill ($3) and painted the words onto the glass. I'm putting fabric behind the glass so it gives it some color.
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]

Genius. I love that idea.

• Jen4948Jen4948
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers Name Dropper
    No sign is necessary.
  • I'm not having sides either, but for the reception (also not assigned seating) I'm thinking of having a sign then.