Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Dress shopping

So we finally booked the church and reception site! After saying I was NOT getting married in my hometown..we're getting married in my hometown. It's not everything I've envisioned but we decided to go with what would save us money and I have to say, I'm glad the deposit is down and I can't change my mind anymore! Our date is April 12, 2014.

Up until this point I was not even excited about dress shopping but now that there's a date and place set I can't wait to go!! I live out of state now but I know I want to shop in the PA/OH area to be with my mom and friends. I feel like I need to be very strategic since I don't have much time on my trips home. We'll be making a trip back at the end of May then probably not again until July. I'm nervous about shopping and the limited time I have at home! Especially since I'm all over the place with what styles I like.

I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh and Youngstown area is very close as well so I was wondering if any of you had suggestions of good places I should go to shop? I think Say Yes to the Dress has my expectations for the day set a certain way haha, with consultants there giving suggestions and what not. I want to be free to maybe browse but also want someone to be there and not helping a bunch of other people at the same time. I guess I don't know what to really expect since I've never been before?

Sorry for the long post but does any one have good suggestions in/north of Pittsburgh or nearby Ohio? Also, any suggestions for the actual dress shopping process? Thanks for your help!!

Re: Dress shopping

• hannahj0hannahj0 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Oh man, I'm on my phone and that did NOT save my paragraphs!! Sorry if that's hard to read
  • cma212cma212 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Dress shopping is so exciting!! So yeah for you!! I only took my mom, my moh who happened to be my sister, and my best friend. The appointments are typically 2 hours long so if you have a short window I recommend only doing two shops in one day. After awhile you try on to many dresses and it gets to be overwhelming. I had two wonderful consultants. They ask you what you see yourself in and what are definite deal breakers. They will give you a catalog and tell you to point any and all you may want to try on. The dress I picked was one I didn't necessarily like in the photo but it was "the one" when I put it on. Have fun with it! Oh and enjoy being the center of attention that day it's wonderful!
  • csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    The Winner in Sharon PA is supposed to have a good selection.
  • I highly recommend The Ribbon in Beaver.  It is worth the drive!  Where is your reception?  I am from the New Castle area.
  • I was thinking of checking out The Winner - but that's where all my homecoming and prom dresses came from so I guess I am hoping for more of a *bride* experience haha.

and @steff! I am originally from New Castle as well! I'll have to check out The Ribbon - I saw on weddingbee that people were recommending there. My reception is at The Gatherings. I guess it's fairly new. It pretty much just a banquet hall so I'm a little sad I'm not having the "pretty" wedding - but hey...I'd rather have money for a honeymoon! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards