Attire & Accessories Forum

when did you start looking at dresses?

How early did you start looking at wedding dresses. I am 2 years away from my wedding but I figuered I might start looking. I don't want to buy yet. Just figured I can get an idea of the style that flatters my figure and price ranges. Is this too soon?

Re: when did you start looking at dresses?

• In Response to when did you start looking at dresses?:
    [QUOTE]How early did you start looking at wedding dresses. I am 2 years away from my wedding but I figuered I might start looking. I don't want to buy yet. Just figured I can get an idea of the style that flatters my figure and price ranges. Is this too soon?
    Posted by Psych819[/QUOTE]

You won't really know which style flatters your figure until you actually start trying dresses on.  A good portion of the brides here bought something very different than what they thought they were going to try.

it's ok to look online and at photos, etc.  But, I would avoid going shopping at salons yet.   If you fall in love with a dress now, it may end up being discontinued by the time you want to buy.  Most designer dresses take 5-8 months to arrive after ordering. If you are considering Davids Bridal, those dresses usually arrive in 3-8 weeks.  So, if your wedding is 2 years away, I would wait a year.
  • Thanks so much for the advice!
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, my dream dress was a big ball gown; I looked like a birthday cake in it. The dress I ended up with was the only one of it's style that I even tried on b/c I was sure I wanted a different style. I was so wrong!

I started shopping early b/c I thought it would take me much longer to find a dress, so I had mine for a little over a year before the wedding. I would definitely wait a little longer since you are two years out. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to Re: when did you start looking at dresses?:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, my dream dress was a big ball gown; I looked like a birthday cake in it. The dress I ended up with was the only one of it's style that I even tried on b/c I was sure I wanted a different style. I was so wrong! I started shopping early b/c I thought it would take me much longer to find a dress, so I had mine for a little over a year before the wedding. I would definitely wait a little longer since you are two years out. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

I did exactly this.  I thought I knew what I wanted so I started browing at a year and a half out.  I found my dress at that point and bought it because I didn't want to lose it.  Its been sitting in my closet since January.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just now ordered my dress, and my wedding is December. When I went to talk to salons and mentioned when my wedding was, they said I was cutting it pretty close! I was kinda surprised, but apparently it takes anywhere from four to six months to get a wedding dress in from a salon.

If you have two years left, I would wait until you are down to only one year before you really start to visit salons. As others said, you might fall in love with a gown that you find this year, only to realize that you can no longer find it a year from now!

• We are also having a 2 year engagement and I started looking at dresses about 18 months out only because I wanted to do it with my friend and my family and there were very few opportunities where I had them all together.  I did not purchase my dress until December (they said it would take up to 9 months to arrive).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I started going into stores and trying things on after the 11 month mark--this gave me about a month to find "the one" and put it on order. They recommend buying dresses 8-10 months out just to be safe--especially if you want custom work done to it. I purchased in July and it came in last month. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I started looking online and through magazines before being engaged and then went in person within the first month of engagement just to try on what I liked.  I actually placed the order a year in advance because we had a long engagement
  • Thanks ladies!! I appreciate the great advice
  • I made my first appointments 6 months out but went in knowing exactly what style I wanted. A couple of shop assistants thought I was cutting it really close but then where I ended up buying no one seemed rushed by the timing. I should mention that my dress didn't have to be ordered though, I purchased the one that was used for the runway and simply had to have it altered a bit, which they did in-atelier. I didn't have a long engagement (less than one year) but nonetheless didn't want to start looking too early, I liked the opportunity to pick from the current collections at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards