Wedding Party

Bridesmaid's Gift Budget?

Hi ladies,

I am wondering what an appropriate amount of money would be to spend on a bridesmaid's gift?

I paid for all of my girl's dresses ($200 each) and I am also paying for them each to have professional hair and makeup done on my wedding day (another $150 each). I would still like to give them a small gift to unwrap together on the big day, and let them know how much I appreciate all of their hardwork. Unfortunately I AM on a budget & because of how much I have already spent, I need to keep the costs down... However, I  want to make sure that my gratitude is properly & adequately expressed. 

Do you think a $50 gift along with a very nice, handwritten note be appropriate? I'm not sure what the ettiquette is here.

Thanks!!

Re: Bridesmaid's Gift Budget?

• Spend whatever amount you are comfortable with based on your budget.  As long as you are shopping for them as individuals, it doesn't matter if you spend $10 or $200.
  • It sounds like you have been very generous. $50 would be fine, so long as the gift is something you know the girl would enjoy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to Re: Bridesmaid's Gift Budget?:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like you have been very generous. $50 would be fine, so long as the gift is something you know the girl would enjoy.
    Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]

You have been very generous! What you have planned is perfect. 
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

I agree -- you've been quite generous! $50 is more than enough.

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I think whatever you can afford to spend is ok.  I don't think there's a minimum you have to spend, as long as it's something not wedding related that you know she will enjoy.
     I got 5 of my 7 girls Coach bags (fabulous sale) because I know they'll be thrilled and the other 2 are probably getting something from Tiffany's, since they both LOVE their jewelry.  I wanted to spend approximately the same amount on each person, and get them each something they will really like. 
  • In Response to Bridesmaid's Gift Budget?:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I am wondering what an appropriate amount of money would be to spend on a bridesmaid's gift? I paid for all of my girl's dresses ($200 each) and I am also paying for them each to have professional hair and makeup done on my wedding day (another $150 each). I would still like to give them a small gift to unwrap together on the big day, and let them know how much I appreciate all of their hardwork. Unfortunately I AM on a budget & because of how much I have already spent, I need to keep the costs down... However, I  want to make sure that my gratitude is properly & adequately expressed.  Do you think a $50 gift along with a very nice, handwritten note be appropriate? I'm not sure what the ettiquette is here. Thanks!!
    Posted by theretamaragoes[/QUOTE]

I think what you are already paying for, for them is enough of a gift. I would skip an aditional gift but instead absolutly do the hand written note and tell them how much they mean to you. You shouldn't feel obligated to give them another costly item.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bridesmaid's Gift Budget? : I think what you are already paying for, for them is enough of a gift. I would skip an aditional gift but instead absolutly do the hand written note and tell them how much they mean to you. You shouldn't feel obligated to give them another costly item.
    Posted by TCK&SMR[/QUOTE]

Well technically, although very generous, paying for their dresses and hair/makeup is not a gift. The gift doesn't have to be costly but she should give them something that is not wedding related, even if it is less expensive. 
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid's Gift Budget? : Well technically, although very generous, paying for their dresses and hair/makeup is not a gift. The gift doesn't have to be costly but she should give them something that is not wedding related, even if it is less expensive. 
    Posted by Salsera29[/QUOTE]

I would say this is a yes and no, give those are their responsibilities and not the bride she would be IMO technically gifting those things.  However, a personally gift (doesn't have to be costly) would be nice the day of or before.  Personally, I have been in a wedding where the bride paid for everything I did not expect a gift then again I think anyone expecting gifts is rude to begin with.  One should never expect gifts, they are nice if you get one but never should be expected.  It's just polite to give.
  • Thanks for all your helpful input, ladies!

Whether or not a gift is technically "required" in this situation is not really important to me. I want to give them something. All 3 of them have been very dedicated, hardworking and so, so, so lovely. It's extremely important to me that the realize just how much I appreciate everything they've done. 

• AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Bridesmaid's Gift Budget?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid's Gift Budget? : I would say this is a yes and no, give those are their responsibilities and not the bride she would be IMO technically gifting those things.  However, a personally gift (doesn't have to be costly) would be nice the day of or before.  Personally, I have been in a wedding where the bride paid for everything I did not expect a gift then again I think anyone expecting gifts is rude to begin with.  One should never expect gifts, they are nice if you get one but never should be expected.  It's just polite to give.
    Posted by mdtaylor1981[/QUOTE]

I agree. I know that wedding-related items are not considered gifts, but you've already spent $350 on them so I wouldn't go overboard with other gifts. Yes, it is $350 for your wedding, but most bridesmaids have to pay for their own hair and dress so you've given them the gift of being able to keep the money in their pockets and spend it on what they want. I would appreciate this much more than any gift if I was a bridesmaid.

I do agree that you should get them a personal gift though. $50 is plenty and you could probably spend less as long as you get them something you know they'd like.

• It sounds like truly appreciate and value your friendships, which is wonderful. I think $50 is very generous, particularly in light of your paying for their dresses. You might think about a heartfelt card to go alongside any gift so that not just we, but they, know how much you think of them. I know it's something I would treasure!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards