Wedding Reception Forum

Had to change the date - massive panic

We have had to move our wedding as FH is being sent abroad for work and we want to get married before we go.
The feeling and what we wanted to do is now very very different.
Wedding is now June 22nd

We have booked our ceremony in one of the rooms in the city hall (thankfully in the lovely old debating chamber as it has had a cancelation)

But what do we do about a reception?
The hotels aren't us and we are stuck (to cold to have it outdoors)
My thoughts were a church hall that we could decorate but then what about food?
The bars/restaurants that would fit our numbers would have to close to other business so that is a no go unless we paid them a fair amount
Most of the places that are popular around here are booked
Hire a field with a tent? but what about weather and loos?
FH rugby clubhouse is free so we could ask for that
Without getting specific about where I am. What do you think would be easiest for a wedding?

I'm getting very stressed as we had to change it this week but I don't want to sacrifice what we actually want by a reception that is a bit 'blah'

Re: Had to change the date - massive panic

• The easiest would be to rent something like a community center, moose lodge, VFW hall, or even a fire department and have it in the afternoon. They are relatively inexpensive spaces, and afternoon timing would allow you to skip worrying about caterers and such. You'd just need some form of refreshments: cake, punch, and some snack trays would be just fine. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • laradolllaradoll member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic:
    [QUOTE]The easiest would be to rent something like a community center, moose lodge, VFW hall, or even a fire department and have it in the afternoon. They are relatively inexpensive spaces, and afternoon timing would allow you to skip worrying about caterers and such. You'd just need some form of refreshments: cake, punch, and some snack trays would be just fine. 
    Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]

Except I want a 'stereotypical' (not so in decor or where but what is in it) reception - with full food and dancing and games and speeches. the whole thing that goes on until midnight
    TH eonly time we could get for the ceremony is 4.00 - would an afternoon reception work?
  • bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic : Except I want an actual reception - with full food and dancing and games and speeches. the whole thing that goes on until midnight TH eonly time we could get for the ceremony is 4.00 - would an afternoon reception work?
    Posted by laradoll[/QUOTE]

No, that'd push your reception over into dinnertime, so you would need a full meal.

The spaces I listed could still work. They'll usually allow outside catering, but might not allow alcohol. Try restaurants for catering, like local Italian, Mexican, or BBQ.

ETA: and just because it doesn't last until midnight does not negate the legitimacy of anyone's reception. An actual reception is one where guests are hosted and thanked for attending the ceremony, whether or not that involves dancing or a dinner.
  • In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic :  . ETA: and just because it doesn't last until midnight does not negate the legitimacy of anyone's reception. An actual reception is one where guests are hosted and thanked for attending the ceremony, whether or not that involves dancing or a dinner.

I'm not saying it is.
    It is just that I knew what sort of wedding I always wanted and it involved a certain type of reception. That was dinner and dancing and games - I'm already making massive sacrifices I don't want to sacrifice everything

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Had to change the date - massive panic : I'm not saying it is. It is just that I knew what sort of wedding I always wanted and it involved a certain type of reception. That was dinner and dancing and games - I'm already making massive sacrifices I don't want to sacrifice everything
    Posted by laradoll[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with that. But you did say that what you wanted was an "actual reception," and you might want to be more careful of that kind of wording. Lots of ladies around here had afternoon or brunch receptions, and they aren't any less of a reception than yours. Just different.
  • I definitely think you are right to not consider outdoor options at this point; the tent, portable restrooms, chair rentals and all the extra expenses will really add up quickly.

Did you have any vendors (like a DJ) booked already that may be able to just change your date so you don't lose a deposit?
    [QUOTE]I definitely think you are right to not consider outdoor options at this point; the tent, portable restrooms, chair rentals and all the extra expenses will really add up quickly. Did you have any vendors (like a DJ) booked already that may be able to just change your date so you don't lose a deposit?

We had nothing booked - wedding was in feb 2014 and were looking into people
  • Well, at least you aren't losing deposits, then.

Have you tried the local boards? They are to the left. You can go to the board associated with where the wedding will take place, and the ladies will be able to give more area-specific vendor recommendations.
    [QUOTE]Well, at least you aren't losing deposits, then. Have you tried the local boards? They are to the left. You can go to the board associated with where the wedding will take place, and the ladies will be able to give more area-specific vendor recommendations.

thanks we are lossing the deposit for the venue of the original wedding but because of when we.cancelled if they get someone wanting that date we get 3/4 of the deposit back heres praying (we picked a school holiday originally so it should be popular) I could cope with a 1/4 easily
  • Well I wish you the best of luck! Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
  • edited May 2013
    I know you said the hotels "aren't you," but I think that would really be easiest, and you may be able to find a more quaint inn or smaller hotel that is more what you want.  The reason I think it will be easiest is because hotels generally have packages, so you wouldn't have to find a caterer, dishes and linen rentals, etc. yourself.  Also, because you're planning on such short notice, you may be able to get a good deal on a hotel package.  
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I don't see how June 22nd will be "too cold" in most places.  And if the date is less than 2 months away I think you need to throw what you want out of the window and start calling hotels so you can still have the reception you'd hoped for.  Who cares if it's at a hotel...it's the people and feel of the night that matter.
    [QUOTE]I don't see how June 22nd will be "too cold" in most places.  And if the date is less than 2 months away I think you need to throw what you want out of the window and start calling hotels so you can still have the reception you'd hoped for.  Who cares if it's at a hotel...it's the people and feel of the night that matter.
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

This X100

You have less than two months.  You're going to have to compromise on something.  Either the cost, the location, the time of day, or fanciness.

Check restaurants again.  You might be surprised at how affordable some restaurants can be.  Or check out museums/community centers/firehalls, etc.  Start really thinking outside the box and calling around.  

SaveSave
  • June here is a tad cold 50 to 64 and last year it rained all month pretty much and even when the sun is out there is a wind by the sea Thank you think you were all the shake up I needed. only going to go for places with wedding packages. if i have to spend extra then that is what we will do I've made a.list and am going to call/see them today. it has a.couple of local hotels it is a city so not short that I would be okay with 2 museums a golf club 2 sailing clubs heres praying that one has a space.
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Good luck!  I hope that you find something!

• Thanks ladies

I just got somewhere
    4th placed I phoned having to pay extra but you know what that is okay
    It isn't what I would pick but it is nice (a big victorian museum with the galleries for the drinks reception) and walkable to it from the ceremony.

I get food and drink and they can sort out table linen and things and a dance floor
    I just have to sort out 

flowers
    cake
    my dress - I guess of the shelf
    our 4 neices who are being BM (they asked with the original wedding) dresses - again I guess of the shelf
    FH and his best man are just wearing their best suits so don't need that
    table decor and favours
    A DJ but as they can give us speakers and such might just make a playlist and have that going
    A photographer

ahhhhhhh

• Where are you located?  This is key for being able to give you suggestions.  Try your local board for advice as well.  A few tips, Target has some cute and affordable bridesmaids dresses you should be able to get quickly.  Sams Club has some great prices on flowers.  When calling photographers, if they are booked ask for referrals.  They may know of someone  else who is available.  Best of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards