Wedding Reception Forum

List of rentals needed for an at home wedding?

Greetings!

My finance and I are planning our wedding the the vineyard he started a few years back. The land is adjacent to his family's home + farmstead. We've got the "how" figured out (level ground, electricity, tent, restrooms), but now we need the "what"-- as in rentals. 

Does anyone out there have a list of everything you need to rent to have a wedding+reception at home? We've got the big stuff like tables, chairs, dance floor, dinner ware, napkins, bar ware, cake cutter, heaters, lights . . . oh, and coordinating how everything is being served, cleaned, and moved.  But I know there has to be more than that. 

Anyone been through this with a great list to share? Thank you!

Re: List of rentals needed for an at home wedding?

• Your list looks pretty inclusive.

Are you having this catered? If so, your caterer will have a pretty all inclusive list as well. They will also supply the things you need to keep cold things cold and hot things hot, so no one gets food poisoning.

You'll need a licensed and/or bonded bartender, but since this is a vineyard run by your fiance's family, I'm assuming he has that covered.

You didn't list eating utensils or the chafing dishes if you are not using a caterer. Large buckets for ice & bottles or cans of liquid refreshments, table linens if you want them, centerpieces if you want them, decor, table numbers if you are having assigned seating.

Lighting?

I'd also highly recommend a DOC (day of coordinator) if it is in your budget, and you haven't hired one. I did a ton of DIY for my wedding, and the issue was that we needed someone to set up and tear down other than family. She also kept track of the time with our pre-arranged timeline, made sure every vendor was where they needed to be. Depending on the geographic area a DOC can be $300-$600 for the one day, and trust me, it is WELL worth it. Plus, they have other ideas you may never think of.

Good luck. Your wedding sounds like fun!
  • it sounds like your list is pretty inclusive.  what about tents in case of rain?  Umbrellas?   Even if it doesn't rain, if your wedding is during the day, standing in the baking sun is no fun either.  So, I would have some coverage.

Also, if you are renting bathrooms, rent the nicer ones that come on a trailer with sinks.  Portopotties suck, especially in nice clothing. 
  • In Response to Re: List of rentals needed for an at home wedding?:
    [QUOTE]it sounds like your list is pretty inclusive.  what about tents in case of rain?  Umbrellas?   Even if it doesn't rain, if your wedding is during the day, standing in the baking sun is no fun either.  So, I would have some coverage. Also, if you are renting bathrooms, rent the nicer ones that come on a trailer with sinks.  Portopotties suck, especially in nice clothing. 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! That was really important to us. We're doing the trailer restrooms that are similar to a camper, but sized comparable to a typical restroom.
    [QUOTE]Your list looks pretty inclusive. Are you having this catered? If so, your caterer will have a pretty all inclusive list as well. They will also supply the things you need to keep cold things cold and hot things hot, so no one gets food poisoning. You'll need a licensed and/or bonded bartender, but since this is a vineyard run by your fiance's family, I'm assuming he has that covered. You didn't list eating utensils or the chafing dishes if you are not using a caterer. Large buckets for ice & bottles or cans of liquid refreshments, table linens if you want them, centerpieces if you want them, decor, table numbers if you are having assigned seating. Lighting? I'd also highly recommend a DOC (day of coordinator) if it is in your budget, and you haven't hired one. I did a ton of DIY for my wedding, and the issue was that we needed someone to set up and tear down other than family. She also kept track of the time with our pre-arranged timeline, made sure every vendor was where they needed to be. Depending on the geographic area a DOC can be $300-$600 for the one day, and trust me, it is WELL worth it. Plus, they have other ideas you may never think of. Good luck. Your wedding sounds like fun!
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Our cater is kind of unique. We're doing flat bread pizzas that will be cooked on site in ovens on their food truck (so excited!). But, this is only their 4th or 5th wedding, and it's a fairly limited service. We're doing nicer plates, silverware and glassware through another company. We do have most of the decor + lighting settled upon already. 

I love the idea of a DOC! That is exactly what we need! I'm going to look into it. If there are any other details I haven't listed, please let me know!

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    We had to rent everything.  Here is a partial list:

Tent  - including flaps
    generators
    electrical cords
    lights
    fans
    nice bathroom
    dance floor
    hot boxes
    tables - rounds
    tables - 6 foot
    tables - s-shapes
    tables - high tops
    bars
    chairs
    linens - table cloths
    linens - napkins
    plates - dinner
    plates - salad
    plates - b/b (used for both bread and dessert)
    forks - dinner
    forks - salad
    knives - dinner
    knives - butter
    spoon -  (I think 2 different kinds?)
    glasses - water
    glasses - wine
    glasses - beer
    glasses - soda
    glasses - high ball

ETA - our coodinator handled the setup and breakdown. 

ETA2 - coolers and ice bins for the bar.  I *think* the bartenders (via the caterer) provided their own barware. 

Coffee makers
    mugs
    salt and pepper shakers
    creamer
    sugar bowls
    small bowls to set butter on the table

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    [QUOTE]We had to rent everything.  Here is a partial list: Tent  - including flaps generators electrical cords lights fans nice bathroom dance floor hot boxes tables - rounds tables - 6 foot tables - s-shapes tables - high tops bars chairs linens - table cloths linens - napkins plates - dinner plates - salad plates - b/b (used for both bread and dessert) forks - dinner forks - salad knives - dinner knives - butter spoon -  (I think 2 different kinds?) glasses - water glasses - wine glasses - beer glasses - soda glasses - high ball ETA - our coodinator handled the setup and breakdown.  ETA2 - coolers and ice bins for the bar.  I *think* the bartenders (via the caterer) provided their own barware.  Coffee makers mugs salt and pepper shakers creamer sugar bowls small bowls to set butter on the table  
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Oh, great list! I hadn't thought about coffee, that's a good one. Also, high top tables are probably a nice idea since we're clearing out some tables and chairs after dinner for the dancing. Thanks!
  • we had the high tops near the bar and dance floor.  Great for putting a drink down or just gathering around the bar.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    don't forget tables for DJ, cake, gifts/card box, guest book (if you have one). I think we used 4 foot tables for those

ETA - we also used 4 foots behind the bar for displaying bottles, extra space.

Also large trash cans.  Especially behind the bars.   Using just bags slows you down.

Sorry, my wedding was almost 5 years ago, so I'm trying to remember everything.

[QUOTE]don't forget tables for DJ, cake, gifts/card box, guest book (if you have one). I think we used 4 foot tables for those ETA - we also used 4 foots behind the bar for displaying bottles, extra space. Also large trash cans.  Especially behind the bars.   Using just bags slows you down. Sorry, my wedding was almost 5 years ago, so I'm trying to remember everything.
    That list is awesome.  I'm so glad your brain works so well so it can remember all that stuff for 5 years!
  • Just make sure your caterer has a plan to get people served quickly you don't want to wind up with people waiting in line at a food truck for an hour, or eating cold food that's been prepped in advance and is sitting around.
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: List of rentals needed for an at home wedding? : That list is awesome.  I'm so glad your brain works so well so it can remember all that stuff for 5 years!
    Posted by Knot Irene[/QUOTE]

Well I worked in the hospitality business for a long time.  So that helps me remember random stuff we just don't think of like trash cans or ice bins.  Sometimes we remember all the front of the house stuff and not the back of the house.

[QUOTE]don't forget tables for DJ, cake, gifts/card box, guest book (if you have one). I think we used 4 foot tables for those ETA - we also used 4 foots behind the bar for displaying bottles, extra space. Also large trash cans.  Especially behind the bars.   Using just bags slows you down. Sorry, my wedding was almost 5 years ago, so I'm trying to remember everything.

Trash cans! Another one I didn't think of. This is all great. I really appreciate it!

(Cute dog btw, I love bull dogs!)
  • Remember you might not have to rent all of this.   Someone might have extra lawn trash cans you can borrow for the day.   Or see if someone as a folding or card tables you can borrow.

• Many companies that specialize in event rentals will have a coordinator that will help you with all those tricky essentials (like trash cans).  If all other things are equal, try and find one that does.  A DOC is a great idea for an event like this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards