California-Orange County

Newland Barn

Anybody out there use the Newland Barn venue in Huntington Beach? I'm looking at this as a potential venue for my May 31, 2014 wedding. Any advice or experiece would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Newland Barn

• There's a post about it on the second page of this section actually. Here's the link. http://m.theknot.com/forums/localweddingboards_californiaorangecounty_newlandbarnhuntingtonbeach I noticed that what they provide is very basic and I think I read there is like 1 electrical outlet to use outside?
  • LifeisSweeter's link doesn't work for me so just in case here is the same link for the regular site (not the mobile one).

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-orange-county_newland-barn-huntington-beach

• I'm getting married there in Sept. It's a DIY venue so it requires a little more leg work on your part but also gives you the opportunity to really control your budget. Hit me up if you have any questions! They do an open house at the venue on Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30, no need for an appt., just show up!
  • If this is a small ceremony, it's probably nice. I've been to high school parties here and they were less-than-impressive. But there is a totally cute (WRITERS BLOCK UGH!!) patio.... thing... wow embarrassing. Inside the barn itself has a very small kitchen, and would hold not too many tables. Good place for DJ & dancing though. Behind the barn is a nice place to set up food and bar tables.

But like everyones saying, it's got the bare minimum. But obviously high schoolers are more concerned about a roof over their heads while partying than decorations. I'm sure you could make it look darling! All the outside areas are beautiful IMO. It might not seem like an ideal place (gated and in the middle of a shopping center) but once you enter the gate, you don't see anything beyond the event! Best wishes!
  • Thanks for all of your input! I booked the venue for June 7th, 2014! Let the planning begin!!!!
  • Hi all! Jennifer.. I am looking into newland barn for my July 2014 wedding. We just saw the venue tonight and I think it's the place :) I was wondering what your planning on doing inside the barn.. It looks so plain and I want to make it look nice. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • @summerbride14 I would do a google image search for Newland Barn Wedding. That will give you idea of what some past brides have done. I think that the venue lends itself nicely to a slight rustic theme.

• Thanks for the advice @staar987.. I have found alot of really cute ideas online. I'm leading towards rustic theme I think
  • @summerbride14 Glad that I could kind of help! Feel free to post here with any ideas or questions. The board is pretty slow, but I check here all the time. Good luck!!!

• Anyone know how early you have to camp out to secure the venue ??
  • People get there around 3am to secure the spot, according to the reservation lady I called. They only take the first person there.
  • I'm not really doing anything in the inside of the barn. It is pretty plain. I'm using all of the outdoor space and using the barn as more of a backdrop.

As for camping out for the venue. I tried to book the venue on May 31 and got there at 6 am, and another bride was waiting there at 3am. Needless to say I didn't get it. So we tried again the next weekend. I couldn't personally go to camp out, but I had one of my bridesmaid go, she got there at 3 and waited, no one else showed up. I think that the people at the city are making this crazy by telling people to get there at 3am. People wouldn't be getting there that early if the city would stop saying that. So it's kind of a crap shoot. If you want to make sure you get the date you want then camp out early.
  • That's crazy!!! I booked the venue for March 21 after 1 p.m. Just walked in the office no camping out needed lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards