Wedding Etiquette Forum

I need a little fun today...

So, after being enlightened by several posts from already-marrieds getting to have the wedding of their dreams that they so deserve, I decided that I should have the proposal of my dreams.  

I got engaged in November.  FI and I had been ring shopping previous, but he did a good job of convincing me that he wasn't ready to purchase yet.  I even thought that I might have scared him off a bit with too much pressure.  While in his truck one day I accidentally found the receipt for the ring!  (Silly man, hide your receipt... don't leave it in the centre console of your truck!)  FI hadn't been planning to propose at that time, but since the surprise was ruined, that became the time for it to happen.  

I don't consider this to be our engagement day... even though we have been engaged for 6 months and our wedding is all booked for July 6th, we only got engaged because of the circustamces of that day.  Every girl deserves to have the proposal of their dreams.  I have already planned out my dream proposal - flowers, candle light, a violin playing in the background.  I have taken the liberty of writing a romantic speech for FI to say down on one knee - it will be beautiful!  My question is, how should I let my FI know all of the plans I have made for my dream proposal, without hurting his feelings?

In case it was not implied, please read with extreme sarcasm!  Would a do-over proposal be less- or as-acceptable as a do-over wedding?  Just curious! Smile

Oh, and FWIW, that is basically how the proposal went... but we laughed at the ridiculousness of how 'us' it was.  And I still cried when he put the ring on my finger!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need a little fun today...

• I am confused when the couple goes out and purchases the ring together but the soon to be bride still wants the all out big proposal or the groom to be says "well I am not proposing to you yet because I want to do something elaborate".  I just don't get it  Um, hello, it is no longer going to be a surprise.  You know he bought the ring because you were with him when they slid the credit card and handed him the box.  Just be happy that you are engaged and have a gorgeous ring.  Why the need for the "surprise" proposal when it really isn't all that much of a surprise?

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    OP, I think your real proposal story is great!  Much funnier and more memorable than some staged production, in my opinion.
    I have a friend who is kind of disappointed in her propasal, as is her fiance.  She was a waitress, and he came to the restaurant near the end of her shift to pick her up and he was going to propose after work.  I don't remember what his original plan was.
    Then he stupidly told her coworkers he was doing it that night so they went and got her and made him do it right there, while she was working.
    She still had to finish her shift.
    I think it's a cute story, but I can understand being a little p*ssed at the coworkers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards