Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Mother/Son Dance Etiquette Question

Hello Everyone, greetings!
My Mom & Dad do not dance, so I will not have a Father/Daughter dance; nevertheless, I believe that my fiance should have a Mother/Son dance.  My mom and Dad are religious and do not dance.

I feel awkward that I don't have 'Dad' to dance with and concerned that if I choose someone else, it may embarrass my Mom or Dad where folks might wonder "why isn't she dancing with her Father and instead with her Cousin"?  A friend suggested dancing with my fiance's Dad; another suggested eliminating the mother/son dance, I don't like the idea of either if I can avoid them.

Is it bad etiquette if my fiance has his dance with his Mother and a few minutes into the dance, we open the dance floor to everyone, where everyone might overlook the missing Daughter/Father?  I'm open to suggestions/ideas.
Thank you!

Re: Mother/Son Dance Etiquette Question

• Options
    You can just have the Mother/Son dance and no Father/Daughter dance.  You don't need to explain anything to anyone.  If anyone says anything just say that you and your Dad opted not to have a dance and leave it at that.

Honeslty, I am surprised that your Dad wouldn't just put aside his not liking to dance to have this moment with you.  My Dad hates to dance as well but there was no way he was going to skip out on the Father/Daughter dance because he felt awkward with his dance moves.  But then again I don't know your family dynamics and the relationship you have with your Dad.

• Options
    In Response to Re: Mother/Son Dance Etiquette Question:
    [QUOTE]You can just have the Mother/Son dance and no Father/Daughter dance.  You don't need to explain anything to anyone.  If anyone says anything just say that you and your Dad opted not to have a dance and leave it at that. Honeslty, I am surprised that your Dad wouldn't just put aside his not liking to dance to have this moment with you.  My Dad hates to dance as well but there was no way he was going to skip out on the Father/Daughter dance because he felt awkward with his dance moves.  But then again I don't know your family dynamics and the relationship you have with your Dad.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

It might not be a preference, but rather a religious obligation; some religions do not permit dancing.
  • Options
    You are correct, My mom and Dad are religious and do not dance, and I respect it and would not want to put them 'on the spot' to do something they are not comfortable doing.

Thank you for your response!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mother/Son Dance Etiquette Question : It might not be a preference, but rather a religious obligation; some religions do not permit dancing.
    Posted by marburger06[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your response, as you suggested we will do the Mother/Son Dance and skip the Daughter /Dad. My dad is a wonderful man and we have a beautiful relationship, he and my Mom are religious and do not dance and I wouldn't want him to do something he is not comfortable doing.  Although, I'd pay almost anything to see him dance a little "Elvis" :)

[QUOTE]You can just have the Mother/Son dance and no Father/Daughter dance.  You don't need to explain anything to anyone.  If anyone says anything just say that you and your Dad opted not to have a dance and leave it at that. Honeslty, I am surprised that your Dad wouldn't just put aside his not liking to dance to have this moment with you.  My Dad hates to dance as well but there was no way he was going to skip out on the Father/Daughter dance because he felt awkward with his dance moves.  But then again I don't know your family dynamics and the relationship you have with your Dad.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    [QUOTE]Thank you so much for your response, as you suggested we will do the Mother/Son Dance and skip the Daughter /Dad. My dad is a wonderful man and we have a beautiful relationship, he and my Mom are religious and do not dance and I wouldn't want him to do something he is not comfortable doing.  Although, I'd pay almost anything to see him dance a little "Elvis" :) In Response to Re: Mother/Son Dance Etiquette Question :
    Posted by rojo0814[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the religious aspect would have been a good thing to mention before.

That is great that you and your Dad have a wonderful relationship.  Instead of a dance maybe the two of you could take a few moments with the photographer alone to get some amazing pictures that you both could cherish for years to come.

Edit:  Or I have a major reading fail problem and was able to read your entire post but skipped over the religious sentence.  Oh well.  It is 3pm here so I am hitting a wall LOL!

• Options
    That is sad that because of their religious beliefs that your parents do not dance. May i ask what religion they celebrate? A wedding is a joyous celebration of newfound unity, joining of families...not sinfull in any way. I hope that is not their reasoning. 
  • Options
    We're doing a mother/son dance and no father/daughter dance. You aren't alone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards