Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Vendors Not on Recommended List - Stress!

Has anyone ever used John Madia (Madia Photography) for their wedding photos?  He does family portraits for a good friend of mine (and turns out my mom knows him), and I always love the way her photos look.  I'm not sure about how I feel about his wedding photos online, though.  http://www.photoshelter.com/c/madiaphotography

Also, has anyone used VideoMasters for their videography?  Again, this is a vendor my mom has used for stuff, and I know they've done at least one wedding in my church (an Orthodox church and ceremony so that's somewhat important to me).  Their website doesn't show samples, but I have a sample video (actually shot in my church) that they lent my mother.

I know my mother would be happy with me using these vendors, I know they're all available on my date (a Sunday makes it easier!) and I am very close to just going with them.  I'm trying to decide if it really matters whether or not I've interviewed a variety of people. Am I missing out if I don't? Am I stressing too much about this?  I just want to get everything booked so time doesn't keep slipping away from me!  I just feel like while I've certainly looked at a bunch of vendors online, I just can't seem to decide which ones I like.  Given the fact that my wedding is this July, I need to get on the ball!  HELP!

Re: Vendors Not on Recommended List - Stress!

• edited December 2011
    Don't stress!!!  If you are pleased with the vendors, thats all that matters!

We only talked with 3 different photographers (one being the photog we choose).  We talked to one DJ.  If you start talking to too  many people, I think it can be very overwhelming.  

If you think they would do a great job, the price is right and they are available, I would say BOOK IT!  Laughing

Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only talked to 1 photographer, and 1 DJ and booked them both! The only vendor I'm going to shop around with is the florist... but other than that I would say if you like their work book them! no need to stress... and don't feel like you have to run around the world meeting with different vendors! For me, I did my research online and decided who I wanted - met them in person and booked them! I'm in Philly though, so I can't just get to Pittsburgh whenever I want to meet with different vendors. I hope everything works out!! DON'T STRESS - everything will come together perfectly!

• CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would YOU be happy with these vendors? 

I only met with 1 photog (after browsing through a bunch of websites) and 1 video person (a rec. from my photog). I knew meeting both of them that they would be a great fit for our wedding and booked both of them immediately. 

I think you should do whatever makes you happy and not your mother!! 
    image Ivory
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone (and duqcheer04, thanks for your offer of help earlier - this is the best help you all could give me)!  My problem is I can't decide WHAT I like.  I've looked at a TON of photographers online, and I think they're all fine, but I haven't found one yet that I thought YEAH, that's who I WANT!  TOO MANY VENDORS!!!  How do I choose?
  • concerto47concerto47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're really unhappy with them than don't book them. I only met with one videographer and hired him on the stop. (Actually, I can send you his info if you want. I'm having an Orthodox wedding too and he's Bulgarian so he's really familiar with it. His prices were unbelievable compared to what I looked at on other websites.)
  • edited December 2011
    Concerto47, I would definitely appreciate the recommendation if you don't mind.  I'm not unhappy with these vendors, I just feel stuck and can't make a decision (the real problem!).
  • edited December 2011

I don't know anything about those 2 vendors, but I just looked on the photog's website, and he seems good. Of course, I am no expert by any means, and just went with an independent, low budget photographer who works out of his home. I just wanted some nice, basic pics though. It depends on what style of photography you want- do you want more artsy, photojournalistic photos with effects? If so, I'd look elsewhere. Just my 2 cents!

Only 1 of my vendors was recommended to me by someone on here- I discovered the message boards after I had booked all of my vendors. Do I wish I had gone with some recommendations from the board for them? Somewhat, I do. But everything turned out great. There are lots of good vendors out there that don't make the list/board.

Also, you can call around and interview to an extent, but I'd just book a vendor if you are really happy with their work and prices. I interviewed all of my vendors in person (except for ceremony musicians due to being last minute and OOT), as most do, so I highly recommend meeting with potential vendors. You'll get a much better idea of how much you are interested in them.

Sorry for the novel! Hope it helps!

• edited December 2011
    I agree with Kim-only 1 or 2 of my vendors was recommended on here.  The photographer I got from my cousin's wedding-I thought he was amazing so I booked him myself!  Other vendors I just looked at websites or talked to at the bridal show.  Then I booked the vendors.  If you like the ones you are looking at, book them!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
  • AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am definitely not an expert either- I just looked at a million and one vendors online just like you! I looked at Joanna Bartone's work online only, but I think she is an awesome photographer. Not sure what your budget is, but I think her prices are on the high side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just checked out Madia Photography and a few things jumped out at me.

All of the photos look really well done, properly exposed, etc. I don't see many "mistakes" at all.

They aren't the most creative of shots as far as PJ/naturalistic/lifestyle photography is concerned. Some may say the style is a little more dated, but it depends on personal preference.

This photog definitely does a good job. Many of the photos are too similar with the location for pictures always being the West End Overlook, etc. Some of the posing is dated, like the flowers on the train of the dress. That may have been that bride's preference, however.

How's the price seem? Album layout looks great to me. I *think* this is the same album company I am using, so the quality is probably good.

Don't go with who your mom wants you to use unless you love them.. Moms typically like a different style than us younger girls.

Joanne Bartone and Elizabeth Vincent are excellent.

I would think Elizabeth Vincent is going to be booked. She only has 5 dates left. Also, she starts at 3k, which is probably for reduced hours. I'd imagine a full coverage package with album is going to be 5k+ based on the looks of her work.

Joanne Bartone is excellent too, but it is going to be much more, IMO, than the first photog you mentioned.

It is all about style and what you like. I don't think any of them would be the wrong choice.

Do you have a budget in mind? Did you want 2 photogs or is one okay? Do you want albums? Do you want reprint rights? Do you like posed or candid? How many hours of coverage do you need?

It can be hard to narrow it down!

• edited December 2011
    You ladies are all so helpful!  Non-"getting married"-people aren't nearly as sympathetic to wedding planning anxiety!  ;-)

I did notice after I posted Elizabeth Vincent's website that her packages start at $3,000, which did seem to be a bit high for the starting range.  I don't have a particular budget, but was hoping to stay under $2,000 total. 

I don't recall if Joanne Bartone had prices on her website.  I think my mother told me John Madia started around $1500, but I'm not sure.  It's funny - I thought the same thing about the bouquet on the gown hem picture - a little dated. 

I don't know about photo books, etc.  I guess I have a lot more to think about than just who is taking the photos.  Part of my problem is all my married friends got married 12-15 years ago so I'm no longer in the midst of all this.

My biggest thing with a photographer is that I want the pictures to be about the people in them.  Cool shots are nice, but I feel like a lot of photographers are all about "the shot".  I'd at least like a balance.

Anyway, thank you all again, for putting up with my stressful rant!  I promise to try to limit them to once a week!  ;-)
  • hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think only one or 2 of my vendors are on the recommended list and I was prefectly happy with they way things turned out!  We're definitely always looking for more vendors to add to the list so hopefully you'll have good experiences and can recommend them to other people. 

And ditto everything Kwynn said.  She always gives the best responses! :)

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't limit your posts to 1x/week! They are great posts :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • concerto47concerto47 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sent you a PM with my videographer's info.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Concerto!  I tried to reply to the PM, but I'm still not sure how all this works.  I will definitely check out your recommendation!

AP910 - that's so nice of you to say!  I meant I would try to limit my stress posts to once a week.  Believe me, I have become a daily addict of TK, and try to post fairly often. 

I'll say it again, it's so nice to have people who are going through it/have gone through it to bounce ideas off of, get help and support from, etc.  May we all have wonderful weddings/marriages!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards