Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

over invite?

Is there a rule of thumb for invites. Do you over invite assuming there will be people who won't make it. Or do you invite the amount that you are expecting and then you have less when it comes to final counts.  

Re: over invite?

• Options
    In Response to over invite?:
    [QUOTE]Is there a rule of thumb for invites. Do you over invite assuming there will be people who won't make it. Or do you invite the amount that you are expecting and then you have less when it comes to final counts.  
    Posted by candyqueen137[/QUOTE]

You can assume that some people will decline, but you should be prepared (space and budget) to host every single person you send an invitation to.   So, don't "over invite". 

If you invite 200, but really WANT 150 and can only really afford to host 150, then invite 150. 

There have been a LOT of brides here who overinvited and then had a close to 100% acceptance, and they were shocked and had to find new venues, and cut back other parts of their budget.

They were SURE old aunt hilda wouldn't come because of her arthritis. Or their college friend wouldn't be able to make it from their peace corps assignment in Haiti, and they showed up anyway. 
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    We invited 178 and 120 are coming. I might add that the bride and groom and many guests live OOT.
  • Options
    Definitely do not over-invite.  There are some posters on here who have had over 95 percent attendance at their weddings.  While it is unlikely that every single person invited will come, it is possible that you will have a large percentage attend, and you don't want more people coming than you can fit in your venue or afford.  There are frequent posts from brides on these boards who are in a panic because more people RSVP'ed yes than they planned and now they can't fit everyone in their venue.
  • Options
    In Response to over invite?:
    [QUOTE]Is there a rule of thumb for invites. Do you over invite assuming there will be people who won't make it. Or do you invite the amount that you are expecting and then you have less when it comes to final counts.  
    Posted by candyqueen137[/QUOTE]

Do not over invite unless your venue and wallet can handle 100% attendance.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Never over-invite.  You never know who might decide to accept, and you have to be prepared for everyone you invite to accept, however unlikely that is, because not to be prepared to host someone you send an invitation to is incredibly rude-even if you didn't think they would accept the invitation or show up.
  • Options
    My  DD had a 96% attendance rate at her wedding.  Please don't over invite.
  • Options
    Don't over invite. What are you going to do if more people than you expected decide to come, and then you're over capacity at the venue?
  • Options
    My venue can fit our enitre guest list, but I don't expect anywhere near 100% attendance.  We're over-inviting because my family is enormous (85 people are just my family), but we're getting married a month before Thanksgiving and 95% of our guest list is OOT.  If they are traveling back home (near where we're getting married) for Thanksgiving, they won't make two trips.  I'd obviously love to have everyone there, that's why they're invited, but I don't anticipate it.
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: over invite?:
    [QUOTE]My venue can fit our enitre guest list, but I don't expect anywhere near 100% attendance.  We're over-inviting because my family is enormous (85 people are just my family), but we're getting married a month before Thanksgiving and 95% of our guest list is OOT.  If they are traveling back home (near where we're getting married) for Thanksgiving, they won't make two trips.  I'd obviously love to have everyone there, that's why they're invited, but I don't anticipate it.
    Posted by amaryann210[/QUOTE]

And what will you do if your family does make 2 trips? And you get 100% acceptance?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    amaryann210amaryann210 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: over invite?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: over invite? : And what will you do if your family does make 2 trips? And you get 100% acceptance?
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

I already don't have 100% acceptance, so it won't happen.  We sent out STD cards and 4 people told us they will not be attending.  Even if we have 99% acceptance, they'll fit, so I'm not concerned.  It'll just cost a little more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards