Pre-wedding Parties

Need some advice!

Greetings!  I'm the MOH for my dear friend's wedding coming up and I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Her future in-laws are planning a "bridal luncheon" next weekend and I'm planning to go, of course, but I am having a really hard time distinguishing this between a "bridal shower" if there even is a difference.

I asked the bride and she was pretty non-commital about it.  She said if I wanted to plan a bridal shower I'd need to talk to her mom.  But my partner told me that it's tacky to plan a bridal shower after the future in-laws are throwing a bridal luncheon.

But it's really, really unclear as to whether or not this luncheon is a formal shower!  There was no gift registry in the invitation, and I admit I'm a little peeved because I have been dreaming of this wedding for years (we've known each other since elementary school) and I feel like they kind of stole my thunder.  Petty, I know, but I had elaborate plans for a bridal shower and now I feel like they won't come to fruition.

More than being disappointed in not being able to throw my dream bridal shower, I'm worried that 1) if I throw a bridal shower it will reflect poorly on my friend (some suggest I'd risk making her look greedy) or 2) if I DON'T throw a bridal shower she won't get the same goodies she should expect for planning a wedding.

Anyone have some advice for me?  My plan right now is just to attend the luncheon and assess how elaborate it is.  I can always plan my own intimate bridal shower for my friend and make it a "friend" party rather than inviting a bunch of her family from out of town.

Re: Need some advice!

• The wedding is in 2 months.  I need to get on this ASAP!  I've just had a lot of other things on my mind so this kind of fell to the wayside and then I got that invitation in March so I was confused.  When should I hold the shower then??  The luncheon is in a week, the wedding is in 2 months... can I do it in June?  Is that too late?
  • June would be fine, but I would with the bride's mom. She may have told you that because her mom is already planning one, or would like to help.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards