Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Help with Venues for Winter Budget Bride

I'm living in Virginia and its hard for me to get back and forth to all of the venues so i'm trying to create a short list of places to go see when I go home to Pittsburgh. Please help!

I need a ceremony to work within the same venue so it would have to have a place for both. Its also going to be in February of 2013 so outside venues won't work. The PGH vendor list has great vendors but they were all very pricey. I'm trying to keep a budget for food/venue/ceremony/alcohol  under $8,500. Since we're paying for the wedding ourselves we're trying to be considerate of our fiances and what can really afford.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help with Venues for Winter Budget Bride

• How many guest are you planning to have and in what area are you looking to have your wedding/reception (north, south, east west of Pittsburgh). I have researched places all over the Pittsburgh area from Washington to Butler. A few of the venues do seem pricey but remember when talking with them ask about discounts for winter weddings. Some of the pricey ones might fit your budget! Good Luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its going to be from 100-150 people. We won't actually know how many people will come from DC so we have no idea. We're thinking closer to 125. I don't have a preference to a specific area but my parents live east of Pittsburgh. As long as there are hotels around for my out of town guests i'll be happy!
  • Is the University Club at Pitt too expensive?? The Rivers Club Downtown?? 
  • I emailed the Rivers Club and never received a response. I never thought of the University Club! I'll try that one! Thank you!
  • I live in VA too!!  We are having our reception at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Southpointe.  It's actually very reasonable for someone who is having about 125 guests.  We are planning on having around the same number of guests and  their minimums are reasonable.  I'm not sure if that is too far away for you since it is south of Pittsburgh.  I have never heard anything bad about them from anyone and they have treated us wonderfully!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image174 Invited! image 95 Accept image 60 Decline
    image 19 Yet to Respond RSVP Date: May 1, 2012
  • I don't know the cost, honestly but the Grand Hall at the Priory does a really beautiful winter set-up. Here's some photos: http://randivossphotography.com/2011/02/tina-and-johns-winter-white-wedding-at-the-priory/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second panther, and I know the winter wedding package at the Priory is discounted compared to busier wedding season.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the ideas above. Although I'm not sure how having the ceremony at the Grand Priory works.... I think that it might be a little over the price range too even with their winter discount. Check and make sure though.

We are getting married in two weeks, and we saved a bundle on a winter wedding. I mean a bundle (I think about $5K on catering alone). The only thing I would be cost conscious of is your flowers- too close to valentines day and you will be struggling to find lower cost flowers even though florists purchase wholesale. So be careful about that. But for a winter wedding you could also do something like branches with hanging lights/candles for centerpieces so you aren't purchasing too many flowers. Just a thought.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_help-with-venues-for-winter-budget-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:7020ad5c-436f-46c8-8caa-3306bdf3a5fdPost:860c36ef-92ac-455b-a728-57665d00a539">Re: Help with Venues for Winter Budget Bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with the ideas above. Although I'm not sure how having the ceremony at the Grand Priory works.... I think that it might be a little over the price range too even with their winter discount. Check and make sure though. We are getting married in two weeks, and we saved a bundle on a winter wedding. I mean a bundle (I think about $5K on catering alone). The only thing I would be cost conscious of is your flowers- too close to valentines day and you will be struggling to find lower cost flowers even though florists purchase wholesale. So be careful about that. But for a winter wedding you could also do something like branches with hanging lights/candles for centerpieces so you aren't purchasing too many flowers. Just a thought.
    Posted by sarilynnep[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thats one of the main reasons we're doing winter bc of all the discounts. I'm using branches and vines for the tables and not many flowers. I love the hanging lights idea! Congrats on your wedding!!! Have fun :) I have another year!</div>
  • Thanks! Planning time goes by quick!

And I love the vines and branches ideas. Something unique and still very classy. Just get creative and you will save a ton of cash.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Try Cranberry Highlands Golf Course.  I attended a beautiful winter wedding there last year.  The room is mostly windows and you may get a better price for off season events.  Cranberry is just off the turnpike and 79.  Plenty of great hotels and things to do in that area!
  • What about the Pittsburgh Opera House?  I looked at it when we were looking at venues and while not for us, they did have a nice set up
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I third or fourth or whatever the Priory. It's a beautiful venue, they include a lot of stuff, and they have a pretty hefty winter discount. Good luck!
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Allison,

Vendors are not allowed on these boards.  I'm deleting your posts, and if I see another I will have to ban you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards