Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

AW Wednesday

Show off any new accomplishments (wedding or non)!

Nothing going on the wedding front, but I've started going to the gym again after a long time off the wagon.  I just do the early morning spin/conditioning classes, but I did them every day last week and each day this week so far - im proud of myself for having some willpower.

Re: AW Wednesday

• edited December 2011
    Today officially marks 500 days until our wedding!

I'm in Wekk 2 of the Couch to 5k and I love it!  I haven't had any problems with it yet and I'm excited to go to the gym.

MD - Congrats on your return to the gym.  I really want to try a spin class but I've been to scared.  I might wait until after I do my first 5k then try it out.  Don't you sweat like mad? ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Melis7683 - Don't be afraid of spin! I was intimidated the first time I went to class too, but the nice thing is that you can go at your own pace in terms of speed and resistance. Instructors usually encourage first-timers to just stay seated the whole class. It's sooo much fun and a really awesome workout. I always leave drenched in sweat and love it. What gym to do you go to?
  • edited December 2011

Britt - Your words are encouraging and I think you are right.  Go at your own pace is something that I hear a lot when people talk about doing your first spin class.

I go to the LA Fitness in Bridgeville.  I'm pretty equidistant to the Robinson club as well, so I've been thinking about checking that one out.  I go after work and usually get there around 5:30-5:45.  Sometimes I wait til FI gets off work and we go together around 7:30pm.

Where do you go Britt?  How long have you been spinning?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Britt0412Britt0412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you try it out, you'll be a spin addict before you know it! :) 

I go to Urban Active in Bakery Square. I've been spinning for about three years. It helped that I went to my first class with a few friends. Just go in a few minutes early and introduce yourself to the instructor - they can help you adjust your bike, etc. I think I literally used zero resistance the first class, which is totally fine. You can work your way up to more.

Keep in mind your butt will be sore the first few times you go - the seat takes some getting used to. I also bought spin shoes, which aren't necessary to take the class, but I think they make a difference in how you use your muscles.

Good luck and let me know what you think of it!
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Melis I LOVE LOVE LOVE spin.  But you have to have a good instructor.  Britt is right, it's "your ride," as my instructor likes to say, so you decide how much to dial up/down on resistance etc.  I think it's a fantastic cardio workout...you sweat a lot!

. I dont think you get sore from the seats if you wear bike shorts, which have some padding.  But, I have done triathlons in the past, and I ride to work everyday too, so I might be immune to it at this point.

Id love to hear what you think of it if you go!
  • heb557heb557 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Today is 7 months until my wedding date. And last night I think all reality hit me I have a ton to do!! Ughh! 

But on the spinning note! I have wanted to try it for quite some time! I just never get to a gym to try it out! Plus I think i'm a bit worried about how bad but butt will hurt! My mom and I started riding our bikes in the spring and for some reason I could not get used to the seat, I had a gel cover and everything. Maybe i'll give it a try sometime!

We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • edited December 2011

My gym also offers a cardio kickboxing class on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.  I'm pretty interested in trying this out.  Seems like a great way to get a workout and get of a lot of aggression.  :)  I want and need something to do on my off days that isn't running and I do that on M,W,F.  I think I will try it out next month when FI is out of town and I can lay around and be a bum if I am really sore afterwards.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards