Wisconsin
Options

Polkas at the Reception?

Hello Wisco Brides,

I have heard that it is very common for Wisconsin Weddings to play a few polkas at the wedding reception.  My family is very Polish.  I know my brother played two polkas at his reception.  My cousin actually hired someone to play the accordion for 30-45 minutes at her reception. My siblings and I felt that the polkas dragged on and got really boring at my cousin's wedding, but it was fun watching our mom and aunts dance to the polkas at my brothers.  I was planning on having 2-3 polkas during my reception.  My fiance, however, feels like most of the receptions he's been to played a significant amount of polkas.  He feels like his family will only dance if it is polkas, and they'll sit down or leave if it is other music.  I feel the opposite way. He wants to compromise at 5 polkas (though, still visibly disappointed at that number).  I am afraid that 5 polkas could be close to a half hour, and would be a repeat of my cousin's reception.

Any input? Are you playing polkas at your reception? How many? What have you noticed at other Wisconsin weddings?

Thanks,
Jeanie

Re: Polkas at the Reception?

• Options
    I was planning on just having 2-3 at ours, just like you said, I want to include the polka dancers into my wedding & watch them have some fun too but unless I want to disappoint the 75% of my other guests,  would like a little more variety with other choices. I love polka'ing too but 2-3 willl be plenty.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

FWIW, I haven't been to a wedding in the metro Milwaukee area in the last 10 years that had polkas. It might be a different ratio in other areas of the state, though.

There's no harm in having your DJ play 2 or 3. Stick to the most common ones that everyone knows. Roll out the Barrell, In Heaven there is no beer, etc.

• Options
    Many of the weddings I've been to in the Madison area and around the state have had a couple polka songs played. Two or three songs should be fine, and like the PP said, maybe stick to the more well-known ones.

We're having a DW in Florida, and since my FI is from the Stevens Point area, we're requesting two or three polka songs be played. Hope our DJ can accommodate and doesn't think we're strange! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If your FI wants 5, which does seem like a lot to me, maybe spread them out like slow songs. Play a polka, play some dance music, play some slow songs and repeat. Its been ages since I have attended a 'Wisconsin' wedding, the last one was more of a dance party for mid 20s vs a wedding reception. We will probably have a couple but like most music, we will space them out during the reception.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I'll see what he thinks about maybe 3-4 spaced out. That seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
  • Options

3-4 spaced out should be plenty. The reception should cater to all ages. Not just the old folks. Not just the young. by doing 3-4 throughout the event will ensure that people hear lots of variety. just beware that later in the evening around say 11pm the last thing you want is a DJ just starting to get to the modern pop/ hiphop and all of a sudden someone asks for a polka (for the 5 old people still there) and clears the place out.

• Options
    polka is not polish, just saying ...
  • Options
    My mother called me recently and told me we have to play some polkas so she and her friends can dance.  I never would have thought playing any but after she mentioned it, I do remember a few being played at most of the weddings I've been to (I feel like it's somewhat associated with UW-Madison sports).

I'll put some on the DJ's list to please her and hope he gauges crowd reaction when it comes to how many to play.  
  • Options
    Oh, That is a great idea! The DJ should be able to judge that pretty well. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards