Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Holiday wedding, holiday theme?

My fiancee and I want to have our wedding on the 4th of July next year. I had already begun theme work for a rustic elegant wedding, but thinking of the fourth you think of red white and blue. I know there is ways to make the 4th elegant, but I already had my heart set on the original theme. Is it considered bad if I don't have 4th of July anything during the reception on a 4th of July wedding or is there someway to have it both ways? Any suggestions? 

Re: Holiday wedding, holiday theme?

• Options
    You don't need to incorporate independence day decor for your wedding just because it falls on 4th of july. Also, be prepared for a higher decline rate if you choose to stick with date. Many familes have long standing holiday weekend plans over the 4th so just be aware that you may get a higher than average "no" rsvps.
  • Options
    We had a "rustic elegant" style wedding on July 3 almost 2 years ago.  Nearly all of our guests were from out of town, so it was hard to tell who was declining because of the holiday, but only one family told us they were going on their annual July 4th cruise instead of attending.  The only holiday-type thing we did was get red, white, and blue tootsie rolls to put in the welcome bags for our guests staying in hotels.  

You should also consider, though, that travel costs can be higher on holiday weekends.  If you'll have out of town guests, see if you can negotiate a good deal on hotel rooms (and hotel rooms may go quickly, depending on where you are).  
  • Options
    You can always incorporate the significance of the holiday by serving All-American style foods, beers, etc. Apple Pie, Sam Adams, roasted bald eagle on a bed of mesclun greens.....ya know, 'MMMMRRICAN stuff.
  • Options
    I agree with Sleeper. I'd much prefer if you DIDN'T have a 4th themed wedding. One of my bridesmaids got married the weekend of the 4th and used black, white, and red for her colors. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

id' prefer it if you didn't make your wedding an extension of the holiday. make it unique to the day and do what you want. otherwise it will be no diferent than the thousands of other 4th of july themed weddings that day. boring!

and i agree with PP. expect higher decline rates for holiday weekends. with the 4th being a friday i think a lot of people will have plans made very far out from that date.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I have to agree with PP: Don't use the holiday as your wedding theme, and expect higher decline rates, especially if the holiday falls on a 3-day weekend.  People just don't like having holidays co-opted for weddings (at least that's how they perceive it when weddings are scheduled to coincide with holidays).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards