California-Orange County

Negotiating everything in your wedding

I am wondering if anyone has been as passionate about finding the best vendors and prices as I have been in planning my wedding. For me, it started 10 years ago when I noticed that bridal stores were manipulating prices and trying to make brides think they were getting a good deal when they were actually overcharging. Now that I am planning my wedding, I am negotiating again and I've negotiated everything. I toured 20-some venues in Orange County, Los Angeles, Riverside, and Temecula. Most of the venues refused to lower their minimums for food and beverage to accommodate my mid-sized wedding. Some of these venues were bluffing and trying to hold out on the negotiation to see if I would eventually book the venue, which is horrible behavior considering this bad economy. Even the photographers are admitting that the venues are not booking because of this bad strategy. I eventually found a high-end venue that priced each item out, did not quote a minimum, and let me create my own package. I found a bridal store that was willing to take $400 off my $1,100 dress.  Yes, those trunk shows, 10%-20% off discounts, free shoes or veil, rush fees, rules about ordering a shorter hem, and other such nonsense is all to entice you to buy asap before you find another store! I found a store that was willing to sell my maid of honor a $250 high-end chiffon gown for $185 out the door. I found a DJ that was willing to give us a $4,000 package for under $2,000. High-end and popular wedding photographers are not booked on my wedding day and they are hoping that I pick them because, although they're reputable, they can't seem to fill their calendars. Florists are starting to compete for my business and they want to meet my extravagant floral ideas because they can't seem to fill their calendars either, since most brides are figuring out that they can do the flowers themselves. Their quotes for the same flowers have ranged between $1,700 and $8,000. And don't let them fool you into thinking that the tall centerpiece is truly worth so much more just because it is elevated. They will often buy those vases or candelabras and then return them to the store after your wedding, making you think that they need to make money on a $400 item that they need to store in their warehouse. Coordinators listed on the high-end wedding venue referral lists are even willing to slash their prices. Officiants and trio ceremony performers are slashing prices. Linen companies lower their prices when I mention a certain other store in the area that has much lower prices. Once your vendors get the sense that you are meeting with others in their field, they start to give you a better package and for a lower price. Some of the vendors let their emotions get involved but if they start to give you an attitude, walk away from the deal. You deserve the best team! There are so many other great vendors out there that will give you wonderful deals and will do it with a smile because, in the end, they really need to make money and put food on the table.