Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photography Question!

Originally, I wasn't planning on having a bridal shoot done. However, somehow I won one for free at a bridal show I attended in January. It's not with the photographer we had already booked, but my photographer said how jealous she was that I was getting to shoot with this particular photographer... I couldn't say no! 

My question is- do I need to tip this photographer and, if so, how much? It's a free shoot, so I really just don't know!! I'm willing to - just not sure of the protocol.

thanks!

Re: Photography Question!

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Well even with me not knowing how high-end this photographer is, I'd give them $100 cash in a thank-you card.

I would, however, send it AFTER the shoot just to make sure I'm satisfied with the service.

• Does your shoot include your disc of images and/or any prints?

If it DOES include those things, Iink that a gift card in a thank you note would be a wonderful gesture.

If it doesn't include any digital files/prints, then I think that just thank you card and spending some money on a few prints is  you need to do to show your appreciation.

• It includes a disc of 25-30 images. I already know I'm going to purchase at least one print. I just got home from the shoot and it was fantastic! I loved the photographers.
  • photosby---- said:

I'm a photographer, and anything I got in appreciate would be greatly appreciated.  It doesn't even have to be money.  If you're really happy with your photos, SHOW IT!  I know as a female photographer (I don't know about the guys) but I could say that if I had a bride surprise me with a gift card for a massage or a pedicure, I'd be soooo excited!  After standing up, shooting for up to 12 hours, running around, staying two steps ahead of everything, all the while carrying all the camera gear that can weigh a lot at times, EVERYTHING is sore the next day....especially my feet and neck!

Absolutely only do it if you're happy with the results, but if they're a good person (and I'm hoping they are) then say thank you.  A little goes a long way!!! :)

P.S. I think you're awesome simply for remembering to tip this particular photographer!

You cannot advertise here.  That includes having a screenname with your company name and an avatar with your company name.  Reported.
  • Oh, I'm sorry...I thought as long as I wasn't promoting my company, I could still talk to brides.  I'm sorry.
    You can talk to brides....you just need to change your screen name and avatar.  You are indirectly promoting otherwise and that is not allowed.  @KnotPorscha
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    Justin Price of Priceless images Photography is absolutely the best, reasonable pricing, AMAZING images and a pleasure to have at the wedding.

www.piphotography.com

@KnotPorscha - User above has been spamming the boards.

Can you also please remove my abuse flag?  Whoever did that didn't read the flagging rules!

• JoanE2012 said:
    photosby---- said:

I'm a photographer, and anything I got in appreciate would be greatly appreciated.  It doesn't even have to be money.  If you're really happy with your photos, SHOW IT!  I know as a female photographer (I don't know about the guys) but I could say that if I had a bride surprise me with a gift card for a massage or a pedicure, I'd be soooo excited!  After standing up, shooting for up to 12 hours, running around, staying two steps ahead of everything, all the while carrying all the camera gear that can weigh a lot at times, EVERYTHING is sore the next day....especially my feet and neck!

• I too am a pro wedding photographer with 40 year experience.  Rarely do I get tipped.  I think the rules for tipping is it's not required to tip the owner.  Meaning if the photog is the owner of the company it's not required or expected.  Contrary to the limo driver who is an employee and not making that much.  

In the quote above,  I am shocked that the photog promoted getting tipped and complaining about standing for several hours, etc.  That's what you get paid for and charge 1500.  to 3000.   Why expect to get tipped just because they like your work?  Isn't that why they hired you in the first place and have paid your fees???
  • edited August 2013
    @jimD $1500-$3000? Is that what you charge with 40 years experience? Your pricing is everything that is wrong with the wedding photo industry today.
  • Anajax, you sound like another photog.  Are you?  regarding my pricing.  I charge what the market will bear,  nothing more, nothing less.  Are you familiar with my market?
  • I don't think it is necessary since you won it.  But if it goes really well and you liked them, you could give them a tip afterwards if you wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards