Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

hair up? why?

why o why is it so traditional to wear hair in a updo vs. down?
does anyone know the reason for this?
ive often wondered

Re: hair up? why?

• It used to be a tradition that girls would put their hair "up" when they were ready to court, to receive beaux, to debut into society. Putting one's hair up was a symbol of maturity and elegance; thus, wearing it up at weddings.

Interestingly, in the 1500s, the tradition was for brides to wear their hair long and loose and flowing down their backs to symbolize virginity. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • no idea about the history.  for me it was a battle with humidity that I didn't want to fight on my wedding day =)

Up it went!

• What @lemclane said.

And for me, when wearing a pretty, fancy gown your hair should coordinate and a down do, for me, just doesn't equal fancy.

Also, I have seen many a bride wear their hair down in loose curls only to have it fall flat as a pancake an hour into the day.  Then they are wearing this beautiful gown with everyday hair, just doesn't look right IMO.

• I wore my half up/half down.  I can't do all up.  I have a round face and putting it all up just accentuates it and I HATE it.  
  • If you have a stylist for the day of your wedding I would go talk to them and bring pictures of your dress, ones with you in it if possible, and that way you can talk to your stylist and make an appointment to experiment with some different styles. I'm not sure if this would help, but say you have a strapless dress, maybe wearing a strapless shirt to the appointment might give you and him/her a little bit easier of a time deciding yes or no to a certain style?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards