Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Father/Daughter & Mother/Son Dance?

So with all my wedding planning, I've really been focusing on it not being "all about the bride" we're a couple, and it's my FI's day too.

That being said, I'm not sure what to do with the traditional Father Daughter Dance. I definitely want to do it, but I'm thinking my fiance should dance with his mom as well. But I'm not sure if guests would get antsy sitting through our first dance, then mine with my dad, then his with his mom. But would it be less meaningful if fiance and I are dancing with our parents at the same time?

More to the point though, does anyone have any suggestions for songs that would work as sort of unisex dance songs? So less, father, daughter stuff, more general, "you've always been there for me, etc."
"People tell me the engagement will fly by and we'll be married before I know it, but it hasn't felt like that so far" Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father/Daughter & Mother/Son Dance?

• Options
    I think you should do whatever you and your fiance' want. As a wedding guest, I've never been antsy sitting through all three special dances, but it's up to you guys. I think it actually might be kind of fun to do the father/daughter and mother/son dances at the same time, if that's what you prefer.

How about "You've Got a Friend in Me" by Randy Newman (from "Toy Story")?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Other "unisex" options:

"Stand By Me" - Ben E. King
    "You'll Be in My Heart" - Phil Collins
    "Forever Young" - Rod Stewart

I think people generally expect to sit through three special dances, but I also think combining the father/daughter/mother/son is a nice idea and won't take away from the special-ness of either combo.  Just make sure that both parents in question are cool with it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    we combined the dances and it turned out great (not to mention our photographer got photos of all 4 of us together which is sort of special!)

We used Sinatra - "the way you look tonight"

• Options
    I think it is beautiful to see both the bride and groom dance with their mother and father. It symbolizes to family becoming one. This way people do not have so sit and watch people slow dance for hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards