Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

I give you ...... (what do we use at the end of the ceremony)

Me and FI where talking about how we are going to be 'presented' at the end ceremony
(you know the I give you mr and mrs or whatever bit)

I'm keeping my maiden name so wont be Mrs FI 

Any suggestions?

Re: I give you ...... (what do we use at the end of the ceremony)

• Options
    Either just use your first names or both first and last.

"It is my honor and pleasure to present to you for the first time as man and wife, Laradoll and FI."

or "Laradoll Smith and FI Doe."
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Ditto PP. There are a bunch of options.

"Presenting for the first time as husband and wife, Laradoll and FI"

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We're going to use, "Presenting for the first time as husband and wife" for that same reason.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

don't say "man and wife"  pick either "man and woman" or "husband and wife" 

I think first names are fine, it makes it more personable and intimate.

• Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I think anything you decided would be fine but I like the idea of now presenting as husband and wife FI's first name and then your first name. I have been to a wedding where the bride kept her maiden name and that's how they did it. I don't think anyone really noticed either. They were there to celebrate the marriage - not how they were presented. Lol. Let us know what you and your FI decide to go with. :)
  • Options
    I'm hyphenating, but for the purpose of our wedding, we'll be "Mr. and Mrs. X" at the wedding and reception.
  • Options
    I'd take this opportunity to announce whatever titles and names you and your FI will be using after the wedding, because this is the moment when it comes into effect.

So if you're going to be Ms. Mary Smith-Jones and Mr. John Jones-Smith, that's how I'd have you announced.  You don't have to do it that way, of course, but it's helpful.
  • Options

The reason "man and wife" is what's traditionally said is that in Old English "wife" meant "woman." (it's the same in "midwife") So it really does just mean "man and woman," and not in some weird sexist way either. Just wanted to point it out.
  • Options

The reason "man and wife" is what's traditionally said is that in Old English "wife" meant "woman." (it's the same in "midwife") So it really does just mean "man and woman," and not in some weird sexist way either. Just wanted to point it out.
    It still implies that a woman needs to be a wife to be a woman.  At least it does in this day and age.  And many people find that unacceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards