Getting in Shape

p90x

I'm starting today.  Yes, with 3 weeks to go to my wedding.  I've been wanting to do p90x for some time, and I'm excited to get started after work!  I work out regularly, but my problem is that I always go with cardio, so I need more weight training in my life.  I'd love to hear tips, thoughts, experiences, and also your feedback on the nutrition guide.  

Thanks!
Meddied since 6/15/13!

Re: p90x

• Congrats on only being three weeks away!

I have done p90x twice now, and think I may start up again this summer or next fall.

A few things:

- watch it before you try it, or work out with the video for a week, but don't really count it as your first week.  It'll take you at least once through each workout to 'get it.'

-don't worry about matching the exact speed of the video from the beginning - it puts you at risk of injury from overexertion or poor form (so many people lose form when trying to workout with videos because they're trying to focus on the video so intently that they forget to check in with themselves.)

-start your schedule so that yoga falls on a day where you have a LOT of time

-I didn't use the nutrition guide bc of gastro issues, but I have heard of even more amazing results with it.  I don't think you need to follow it exactly, but the key to their guidance is the carb/protein/fat breakdown, which you could maintain on your own.

Anniversary
  • Thank you!  I've done the exercises previously through a class at my gym.  They essentially 'stole' the routines and we did them in a group setting, which I really liked.  Unfortunately, I can't make those classes now due to my schedule, so I'm doing this on my own at home.  I'm hoping FI will join in with me at some point...  

I dread Plyo.  Ugh.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013

I think I may be doing plyo tonight for my extra workout :)

Awesome!  I hated kenpo by the end, that and leg and back day - simply from redundancy.  I also ended up modifying some of the abs bc of lower back issues.  Plyo is rough but doable - just remember to keep moving, no matter what!  If you need a break from the jumping, just jog in place during that exercise, and then get right back to it.  By the end you'll be flying through it with ease!

Anniversary
  • Plyo as an 'extra workout'?  Are you doing something else in addition?  You're a rock star!

I took an all-plyo 8 week class at my gym once.  I've never come so close to throwing up.  I was sitting in the locker room afterward trying to decide if I was going to be sick or not and the instructor came in.  Another woman stopped her and said, 'Um, excuse me L...  But what were you DOING to those girls in the gym?!?!?'  L just laughed and said, 'That's about as brutal as it gets!'  Horrid.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • finishing up 30ds, but it's so short and I recover from that quickly so I feel like a bum not doing anything else.  I don't do something extra every day, just once in a while.

from the sounds of that class, I think you'll survive p90x plyo with no problem!  let us know how it goes!

Anniversary
  • I'm doing a mix of p90 and 30ds right now too depending on what my schedule allows.  This is my first time with p90, and I borrowed it from a friend, so I have no idea what their nutrition plan looks like, and I don't own the pullup bar.  What I've realized is that I need a variety of heavier weights, and that the chest and back video is tough because I also don't have anything to suspend a band overhead on to simulate the missing pullup bar.  I would say just make sure you have enough weights, because I def don't, and I'm finding some if it too easy because of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013

pt-simple bar modification.  lay on your belly on a table, your bed (though sturdy surface is better), or anything flat, and do the exercise with weights, pulling up toward yourself (so, for wide pull ups, essentially do wide rows laying face down.)

also, pt, to your comment in the accountability thread - google around and you'll see it takes most women at least phase one to see any scale changes.  it took me until week six, which I was okay with bc at least I knew I was getting strong and pushing myself, and then the weight started flying off.  the last few weeks were the biggest scale difference for me, but the physical changes started much before then.

Anniversary
  • @kwitherington Thanks!  I was going to hit some sports stores in the area, but I may just order. Stores would require me going somewhere ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Quick update:  Did arms/shoulders and ab ripper last night.  I'm sore in all the right places and feel really good.  Looking forward to doing Cardio X tonight!  

Thanks for all the support!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards