Wedding Party

Groomsmen Suits

My bridesmaids are wearing an apple colored dress, and I decided on suits instead of tuxedos for the groomsmen. I want them to match the girls with a red tie, but I don't know if I should have them wear a black or dark blue suit, and how important is it that they match exactly?

Re: Groomsmen Suits

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    fowlstar3 said:
    My bridesmaids are wearing an apple colored dress, and I decided on suits instead of tuxedos for the groomsmen. I want them to match the girls with a red tie, but I don't know if I should have them wear a black or dark blue suit, and how important is it that they match exactly?

What does your FI want the groomsmen to wear? It's his choice, not yours.

Black suits are much easier to find than navy blue. Most of the groomsmen would already own them and they don't need to match exactly.

• SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I would go with either black or a dark gray suit. I'm mentally picturing a blue suit with a red time and all I can think about is the 4th or July and fire works. And the suits don't need to exactly match, but you can always solve that by going with black. I was having the same issue trying to figure out if all the suits should be the same. We ended up just getting a color swatch of the shade of gray and are giving it to the groomsmen and letting them get what they want.

Off topic but you said you decided on suits instead of tuxes. Was this you and your fiance? Usually its the groom who decides what his groomsmen where so just figured I would ask.

• My groom said he doesn't really have an opinion on what him/his groomsmen wear. Together we went with suits because they are cheaper, and our wedding isn't that formal. 

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure the grooms men have swatches of the dress color for when they pick out their suits. 
  • itzMSitzMS member
    fowlstar3 said:
    My groom said he doesn't really have an opinion on what him/his groomsmen wear. Together we went with suits because they are cheaper, and our wedding isn't that formal. 

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure the grooms men have swatches of the dress color for when they pick out their suits. 

Why do they need to pick out suits? They probably already own them. Asking them to purchase an additional suit just so it "matches" is pretty silly.
  • If they have a black suit then they can certainly wear it. I do want their ties to match the bridesmaid dresses though. 
  • itzMSitzMS member

You and FI should be purchasing the ties for them if you're requesting something specific and matching. 

If you ask them to wear "any tie with red in it" that would be okay since many of them likely have (or could borrow) something that would work, or can purchase a style they'd wear again.

• SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    fowlstar3 said:
    My groom said he doesn't really have an opinion on what him/his groomsmen wear. Together we went with suits because they are cheaper, and our wedding isn't that formal. 

That is why we went with suits as well. I honestly like the look of them better.

When I said swatch I meant the actual color swatch for the suit. I should have clarified. Sorry. This worked out well for us because some of them wanted to buy their suits and others wanted to rent. So the our only requirement was just sticking as close to the shade of gray as possible.

If you're going with black I think its great they can just wear one they already own. Black is black. 

• Why would she need to buy the ties for the groomsmen? We ask bridesmaids to buy their dresses, and if guys are renting tuxes they are expected to pay for that - if guys are wearing their own suits but have to buy a matching tie that's still a far better deal than the bridesmaids get...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards