August 2013 Weddings

Father Daughter Dance

I'm starting to move into the music portion of planning... picking out first dance songs, must plays, etc. I'm struggling a bit with the Father/Daughter dance. My parents had a rocky divorce when I was 16 and my Dad and I have never been that close (I'm definitely a Mama's girl), but I still want to dance with him for tradition purposes and the fact that I'm his only girl and want to give him that "moment", especially since both of my parents are walking me down the aisle (August 3rd-whoop!)

Any ideas for father/daughter songs that aren't overly emotional/daddy's girl songs? Also, halfway through the dance, I'm thinking of having the DJ ask all fathers and daughters in the room to join us on the dance floor for a large Father/Daughter dance. Has anyone ever seen this done? If so, did it work well? 

Re: Father Daughter Dance

• I am actually going to have all the fathers/daughters dance as well! I thought I was unique LOL My reasons are a little different though. My Daddy passed three years ago, but I wanted to recognize him... The dj is going to play I Loved Her First by Heartland, FI and I are gonna start it out, than after the first verse, have everyone join in. I thought it would be cute, and I didn't want everyone to have to watch us again...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have seen that done and it worked great! I'm planning on the same thing. My Dad and I are close, but not in a "mushy" way, and I'm actually really nervous for the father daughter dance. I'll be looking for a "lighter" song as well.

Crystal I'm so sorry about your dad! Sounds like a nice way to honor him.
  • kryan32kryan32 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

We're doing father/daughter and mother/daughter dances with our kids - second time wedding, etc... 

Anyway, I googled father-daughter dances and found this list - maybe there's something on here one of you can use: http://bridalmusings.com/2012/06/top-20-best-father-daughter-dance-songs-aria-melody-dj/

Take care,
    Kim

• Thank you Xstatic! I was married to an idiot when he passed, I wish he was here to see me finally happy, but I know he will be there! I sent away and got a bouquet charm made with a pic of him and me, as a fat, bald baby. I was going to put a nice pic of he and I all dressed up at my brother's wedding, but that one I chose makes laugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Were doing a surprise mash up of a bunch of different songs which I mixed myself!  :)  No one knows about it besides my fiancé and my dad.

So sorry about your father crystal and hope you find your perfect way to remember him.

• Ashley, my FMIL wants to do that with FI, with a bunch of weird dances, but he refuses LOL...

& thank you, I think he will be remembered perfectly, without it being too much, because i would be a blubberng mess, and I know he wouldn't want that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How about "My Wish"-Rascal Flatts? I love that song, and I've seen it used for the Son/Mom dance, but can be used for anyone really!
  • How about "My Wish"-Rascal Flatts? I love that song, and I've seen it used for the Son/Mom dance, but can be used for anyone really!
    I'm using this song for my father/daughter dance! It's such a nice song!
  • I am having a hard time with this too. So far my dad has veto-ed all of my suggestions, so at this point I have no idea what to do.

Some ideas I've had are:

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac

When the stars go blue - Tim McGraw

The Way you Look Tonight - Eric Clapton

Kind and Generous - Natalie Merchant

Daughters - John Mayer

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just finally ended up asking my dad what he wanted, and he picked As Time Goes By from Casablanca. I thought that was a great idea!
  • I left the father/daughter song to my dad. He picked one but wanted my approval first. He picked a great one!

Ray Allaire A song for my daughter
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards