Ohio-Columbus

Name change service?

Hi, Has anyone heard of and/or used the online name change service, "MissNowMrs"? My mom got a brochure about it from a bridal show recently. It sounds like a great service (one stop shop for all the paperwork needed to change your name). There is a fee to use. Apparently, its supposed to save you a ton of time and hassle with changing your name?? Thanks everyone!

Re: Name change service?

• I have heard of it before, but not sure how legit it is. Changing your name isn't really that hard, nothing you can't do yourself. First things first: social security card and then driver's license. Once you get those 2 things you can start changing everything else. Some places you do business with may require a copy of your marriage license which I recommend getting a few extra copies of. Other than a few phone calls and a little time, it really isn't very hard or a big deal.
  • I second @MissySure20.  Changing my name was not hard at all, and that included changing it with a professional licensing agency.  Pick a good time to go to the social security office (not the immediate beginning or end of the month), if possible, pick one with little foot traffic (I went to Lancaster) then head to the DMV.  I went straight to the DMV after the SS office (again, I went to Lancaster's...they're never very busy).  My bank only required my new ID. 
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • ambrotheambrothe member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2013
    When changing your name, the first thing that you should do is to order a couple of marriage abstracts from the Probate Court, which should be available about a week or two after your ceremony. You can order the abstracts by mailing the form in your marriage license packet or by visiting the Probate Court's website. The first office you should go to with the marriage abstract is the Social Security office. You'll need to bring your current ID and the marriage abstract, and they'll give you a print out that shows that you applied for a new Social Security card. Next, take that information to the BMV with the marriage abstract to get your name changed on your driver's license. Once you've done this, you usually just have to call your credit card companies/banks/frequent flyer programs etc to notify them of the name change, and possibly fax them a copy of your new ID and marriage abstract. As for your passport, you just have to send in the old passport with new pictures, the marriage abstract, and an application for renewal, and they'll send you a new passport (and your old one back too).
  • Marriage abstracts is the word I was looking for in my initial response. Definitely order a few of those. Some of the people you do business with may require them in order to change your name on their documents. For example, my loan company required one after we got married. I had to mail a copy into them before they would change my last name.
    ambrothe said:
    When changing your name, the first thing that you should do is to order a couple of marriage abstracts from the Probate Court, which should be available about a week or two after your ceremony. You can order the abstracts by mailing the form in your marriage license packet or by visiting the Probate Court's website. The first office you should go to with the marriage abstract is the Social Security office. You'll need to bring your current ID and the marriage abstract, and they'll give you a print out that shows that you applied for a new Social Security card. Next, take that information to the BMV with the marriage abstract to get your name changed on your driver's license. Once you've done this, you usually just have to call your credit card companies/banks/frequent flyer programs etc to notify them of the name change, and possibly fax them a copy of your new ID and marriage license. As for your passport, you just have to send in the old passport with new pictures, the marriage abstract, and an application for renewal, and they'll send you a new passport (and your old one back too).

• Thanks ladies!! This is really helpful info to know and I happy to hear the process isn't as stressful as I thought it would be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards