Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invitation Wording when bride/groom and only grooms parents helping pay

I am trying to get my invitations printed out so that they can be mailed out this week... but I am struggling with some of the wording... Our invitations say

Because you have shared in

our lives by your friendship and love, we

Bride

and

Groom

together with our parents

invite you to share

the beginning of our new life together

when we exchange marriage vows

on Saturday, the twentieth of July

two thousand and thirteen

seven o’clock

HOWEVER... I am having an issue with the "our parents" part. The groom & I are paying for the wedding with assistance with some money his dad gave us for "wedding use only" that he came into after my grooms mother passed away. My parents on the other hand... I haven't talked to my father in almost 2 years and when my groom reached out to him he spent the whole time putting me down and did not have anything pleasant to say about me or us. My mother is an alcoholic that can barely take care of herself and is financially supportive on my brother and myself and is only emotionally supportive some of the time, when the mood strikes her. I doubt my dad will even come and I wish I could not invite my mother. 

I feel that it should say "together with his parents" instead of "our" I don't feel my family should be honored like his is. Not when his dad is walking me down the aisle and there for us every day not to mention been a solid support for us both for the past 3 years.

I have read up with what etiquette states... But I don't agree I fit into that....

Re: Invitation Wording when bride/groom and only grooms parents helping pay

• Options
    smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    theres a lovely tool somewhere on the knot for this ..

somthing similar but along the lines of 

his parents blah blah blah
     request the honor or your presence/ pleasure of your company at the marriage of 

you the op 
    to 

their son joe shmo jr 

etc so on and so forth 

eta: pardon the snark...knotting at midnight when tired leads to this 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The invitation wording is not supposed to reflect who's paying, because that's none of the guests' business. Paying doesn't equal "hosting."  It is possible to contribute money without being a "host."

If your parents aren't greeting guests and seeing that their needs are met, they're not "hosts."  And from what you say, they're not.  I like CMGr's wording.
  • Options
    I also like CMGR's wording. If, however, you don't, then go with the very basic: 

"You are cordially invited to/the pleasure of your company is requested at /the honour of your presence is requested at the marriage of 

Bride Firstname Middlename Lastname 
    to
    Groom Firstname Middlename Lastname

at time, date, place."
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013

There is a new construction that might work best for you.

Just list BRIDE and GROOM getting married, etc. in the regular invitation space, then at the bottom, put this:

The bride is the daughter of                                   The groom is the son of

Mr. Jon Smith and Mrs. May Smith.                   Mr. Alan Roan and the late Jane Roan

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The names of deceased persons don't go on invitations, because they can neither host nor be honorees.

I'd use "together with their families" myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards