Chit Chat
Options

Getting too wrapped up in planning?

I was at my FMIL's house last night for a BBQ with some other folks, and the group of us got to talking about weddings, and how expensive they are. FMIL said that they're only expensive if you allow yourself to get wrapped up in them. Okay, this can certainly be true, but from what I've looked into, if a couple wants to have a more traditional wedding and celebrate with their loved ones, venues and service providers have to be booked. FMIL at one point suggested that we have our supper at a local food festival, and give each guest $30 to go get their own food, then meet somewhere on the grounds.

I'm the type of woman who didn't start dreaming of a wedding, or getting married, until the ring was put on my finger. I never thought I'd get married, so I didn't see the point in fantasizing about it. Once I started thinking of it though, I kept picturing a beach and the ocean. I've known some people who have done destination weddings, and they are far more cost effective than a traditional one, even with flights. Plus, the happy couple gets a honeymoon out of the deal, and the guests who are able to attend get a holiday. This is what I'd have loved to do. FH said that his Mom won't fly, and his sister cannot fly. He has since said though that they probably would've gone along with the plan. Second choice was to elope, which I begged FH to do once we decided to go the traditional route and start planning. Everyone stuck their noses in, criticized, kept throwing things at us that FH felt obligated to look into, and I was beyond stressed. He said no to eloping, then he got busy with work, and the planning (all of it, at that point), fell to me. I was planning a huge 250+ person wedding that I honestly didn't want in the first place. Now, my opinions have changed a bit. While I would drop everything and do the beach wedding in a heartbeat, I'm actually looking forward to seeing extended family, friends and family friends (one lady, I haven't seen since I was in grade 6!)

The thing that I keep going back to though: did I let myself get suckered into the world of wedding planning? We both agreed that we could save about $700 to organize caterers, bartenders, etc. ourselves, but decided to go with a middle-of-the-road place in terms of food/bar services that would organize everything for us. To us, that was worth the money. They weren't the least expensive, nor the most expensive, and we've since learned that they go above and beyond and are wonderful to work with! I designed ALL of our printed materials, printed them, and put them together (I'm a graphic designer). Photography is expensive, really, no matter who you choose. I have a friend who is planning to do our makeup at a seriously reduced price, I'm not going for a hair trial, ceremony is in my folks' backyard so the dogs can be involved. I don't really see how I went overboard, but worry now that I did. FMIL had always said that she wanted to contribute something, but it took her 7 months to get used to the impending change, and to wrap her head around the large wedding (that, in my mind, we're planning mostly because I was told they wouldn't/couldn't do a destination wedding), and now she's looking for an accordian player for us (to play us into the reception area and "introduce" us, I think). She cannot find one though. I got online and found a group of them within 30 seconds, although I've kept that info to myself!

Maybe it's just the severe lack of sleep, but I would just like to hide my head in the sand until we leave for our honeymoon. Plus, while I love my dress, I need to lose a few pounds to fit it properly, and diminish the back rolls. That's bumming me out, plus lack of sleep.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Getting too wrapped up in planning?

• Options
    Holy cow, sorry for the length of that post, and all the rambling that probably happened!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not really clear what your question is.

• Options
    In terms of wedding planning, you do whatever you and your FI agree on together that doesn't break etiquette with input from whomever is paying.

Getting wrapped up in the wedding is different than getting wrapped up in planning. I spent a lot- seriously a lot- of time before my wedding doing planning stuff. But we spent below the average for our area. If you get wrapped up in monogramed napkins and patterned aisle runners and outdoing the latest YouTube proposal, yeah, you're probably going to spend more than you planned. But if you're just planning and picking what's best for you, you're not going overboard.
  • Options
    If you FI wants a big wedding and you don't, then he needs to help.  Just stop doing all the planning.  If it really means that much to him, he'll find a way to make it work.  Just so you know, I went on strike a few months ago.  I also would have been happier to elope but my FI wanted the big wedding.  I was supposed to plan it all and I did for a while.  Then I went on strike.  My FI is now actively helping me plan the wedding because when I gave him all the stuff I'd been working on and gave him a list of things to finish up, he was completely overwhelmed with how much there was to do and couldn't imagine doing it on his own.  Some people just need a reality check.
  • Options
    If you FI wants a big wedding and you don't, then he needs to help.  Just stop doing all the planning.  If it really means that much to him, he'll find a way to make it work.  Just so you know, I went on strike a few months ago.  I also would have been happier to elope but my FI wanted the big wedding.  I was supposed to plan it all and I did for a while.  Then I went on strike.  My FI is now actively helping me plan the wedding because when I gave him all the stuff I'd been working on and gave him a list of things to finish up, he was completely overwhelmed with how much there was to do and couldn't imagine doing it on his own.  Some people just need a reality check.
    Absolutely this. You should not be solely (or even primarily) responsible for planning a huge event that you don't want.
  • Options
    I have given him a list, and it has gotten a bit smaller. The thing is that when he was working (he's a uni prof) his hours were seriously long. Like, it wasn't unusual for him to leave work at 11pm. When life runs that late nearly every night, it's tough to get other things done. So, I made 3 wedding to-do lists: 1 long one for me, 1 short one for him, and 1 long one for things that we needed to do together. It actually almost made things a little easier because once he got too busy with work, I didn't feel the need to run every little thing by him, so a lot got done very quickly. Now however, I don't really find that he takes the initiative to do the things he needs to do without reminding. Then, when he had his first major project about a month or so ago, he updated me lots about his progress. He burned 15 CDs in an evening, which was great! I sent half a dozen emails, spent the better part of an hour on the phone with vendors, looked into why my sister's dress STILL hasn't arrived, and stroked 3 more things off my to-do list. Did I update him? Nope.

Do I want this massive wedding? Now, yes, I do. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, and sharing our day with them. But, I recently found out that his immediate family probably would've come on a destination wedding with us, and had I known that, we'd be doing something completely different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards