Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food on a budget!

What should I do food-wise that will still be inexpensive? I don't think my parents will have enough money to afford to feed a full meal to everyone (they are the ones paying), but I don't know what our other options are. We are having lots of out of town guests and I didn't know if it would be bad not to serve dinner? One of my friends told me that it would be. But even if we specify on the invitation? Anyways, we won't be old enough to have alcohol and our parents don"t approve, plus that's an added expense, so how could we plan a dry reception? 

Re: Food on a budget!

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    I think it's slightly unfair to automatically attach a specific age to marriage readiness.  I have a friend at 28 getting divorced for the second time. Despite her age, she's still incredibly immature in romantic relationships. Conversely, my best friend's parents married at 19 & 20, and they just celebrated their 30th anniversary. Age isn't always an indicator. 

However, I do think you should be independent financially, have a career path (and the proper educational requirements to pursue that career), have discussed long-term life plans with your fiance (e.g. jobs, lifestyles, where you'll live, children, religion, etc.) before you have any business being married. That being said: OP, please seek out some pre-maritial counseling if you have not already done so. Late teens - early 20s is a very dynamic time in life for most people; you and your fiance will have to work hard to keep your marriage working. If you can wait on your marriage for a few years, I think you should.

To answer your questions: you don't have to serve dinner at your reception, as long as your reception isn't at a typical dinner time (i.e. anywhere from 5-8pm). An afternoon reception with light snacks, cake, and (nonalcoholic) punch is a perfectly acceptable way to host a reception. Since the budget is so tight, this type of reception might be the best fit for you. 

You don't need to notate anywhere on the invitation that you're having a dry/non-dinner reception. People will get the hint if your reception starts at 2:00pm, for example, that there will likely be no alcohol or full meal served. 

Edited because I originally advised pre-martial counseling instead of pre-marital. Sigh.
  • What should I do food-wise that will still be inexpensive? I don't think my parents will have enough money to afford to feed a full meal to everyone (they are the ones paying), but I don't know what our other options are. We are having lots of out of town guests and I didn't know if it would be bad not to serve dinner? One of my friends told me that it would be. But even if we specify on the invitation? Anyways, we won't be old enough to have alcohol and our parents don"t approve, plus that's an added expense, so how could we plan a dry reception? 
    With a smaller budget you have several options.

1) Have a morning wedding and a brunch reception. This can be done buffet style and, due to the kinds of food being served, is almost always much less expensive than the traditional sit-down dinner.

2) Have an early afternoon wedding (2:00) with some hors d-oeuvres, cake, and punch afterwards.

3) Have a late evening wedding (ceremony starting at 8:00) with cake and punch afterwards, plus other desserts (cookies, brownies, etc. won't break the bank).

Basically, avoid true mealtimes, and people will understand. Please don't print on the invitations "Dinner not served" or anything of that sort, as it's considered rather rude.
  • I know several people don't agree with getting married so early, but it is what works for us. He will already be old enough to drink, and I will be soon after the wedding. We are very excited and are preparing for it as best as possible. We will be about to graduate from college, both have jobs, and will be financially independent. We are very excited about pre-marital counseling! We are trying to do it through our church and I am also being mentored individually by an older, married woman and he is meeting with a man too! I think marriage takes a lot of work, regardless of when in life you get married, so we are looking forward to the challenges and growing together! 
  • edited June 2013
    I know several people don't agree with getting married so early, but it is what works for us. He will already be old enough to drink, and I will be soon after the wedding. We are very excited and are preparing for it as best as possible. We will be about to graduate from college, both have jobs, and will be financially independent. We are very excited about pre-marital counseling! We are trying to do it through our church and I am also being mentored individually by an older, married woman and he is meeting with a man too! I think marriage takes a lot of work, regardless of when in life you get married, so we are looking forward to the challenges and growing together! 

You don't have to explain your choice to anyone! My step-family is LDS and were all married before age 22 and they're ALL STILL MARRIED! Age isn't important...it's love. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

Ok back to food...have you thought about a food truck? Its cute and they usually cut a huge portion off for big parties.

Do you two have a fave place you love to eat at? See if they cater. Our fave taco shop does an amazing catering spread.

Or go super low key and order pizza! In Brides magazine they had the CUTEST budget wedding and they had pizza. I'll try and find the link and I'll message it to you!

The few LDS wedding "receptions" I've attended don't have alcohol (obviously) or food. They have snacks or cakes and they were tons of fun!

• if your reception is dry, consider a brunch,lunch,or tea which would cut the cost because people expect to drink the evening.

If you have your ceremony and reception in one space even better. Rent your own. Flowers become fruit. Small cake with sheet cakes.

• if your reception is dry, consider a brunch,lunch,or tea which would cut the cost because people expect to drink the evening.

If you have your ceremony and reception in one space even better. Rent your own. Flowers become fruit. Small cake with sheet cakes.

Are you missing words?  This does not make sense.

• < even better, rent your own flowers become fruit small cake with sheet cakes.

Haiku'd that for you
  • As long as you arent celebrating during a meal time you dont have to provide a meal. People will understand...they should be there to support the nuptials not the food
  • The appetizer-only suggestions are good.....but if you want a meal, here's what I am doing: fried chicken, mac and cheese, and deli meat and cheese trays from a deli......potato salad and green salad I am preparing myself the day before....and rolls/veggie trays already bought. Friends are serving it. I am going with a beach party theme at the reception so that my less formal food will fit better. And for the record, we have a budget because we are also churchgoing people with 9 (!) kids between us from our previous marriages. So....budget constraints are not only for the young! Best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards