Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Getting to know the couple activity/game at the reception?

My fiance and I have had the hardest time finding an activity or game that we could "play" at the reception for our guests to get to know us since much of our families live in other states and have never met our significant other. Right now, we know a popular game is the Shoe Game (where the newlywed couple holds up their own or the other person's shoe for the answer to a question, such as "Who is the better driver?"). We do like this is idea because it helps the guests get to know the couple a little bit more and because it has minimal guest interaction (I know many guests don't want to be put on the spot or like the idea of games at a wedding). However, for us, the Shoe Game is a bit over done. Does anyone know of a way to modify this game or have idea for a different game entirely? Thank you!

Re: Getting to know the couple activity/game at the reception?

• Options
    kfbrum79 said:
    My fiance and I have had the hardest time finding an activity or game that we could "play" at the reception for our guests to get to know us since much of our families live in other states and have never met our significant other. Right now, we know a popular game is the Shoe Game (where the newlywed couple holds up their own or the other person's shoe for the answer to a question, such as "Who is the better driver?"). We do like this is idea because it helps the guests get to know the couple a little bit more and because it has minimal guest interaction (I know many guests don't want to be put on the spot or like the idea of games at a wedding). However, for us, the Shoe Game is a bit over done. Does anyone know of a way to modify this game or have idea for a different game entirely? Thank you!
    honestly, I think games at weddings are a horrible idea.  Maybe you could do something at your rehearsal dinner.  Chances are, a game isn't going to give your guests a lot of information about the two of you anyway, and it will be really boring to most of your guests.
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm not a big fan of games either. I have seen little signs on the back of the table numbers like "12 random facts about the bride and groom" or "10 things you should know about Mary according to John/10 things you should know about John according to Mary" which guests have enjoyed reading as they waited for the food to be served.
  • Options
    I appreciate your input. We're having a rehearsal, but no dinner so it would be difficult to do it then. I have enjoyed games or similar "get to know the couple" activities at weddings I have attended and for my guests, most of them expect something like this at the reception. I'll give it some thought, but I'm still looking for some game/activity ideas.
  • Options
    I've never heard of games at wedding receptions. Where are you from?
  • Options
    If you're having a rehearsal, it's considered polite to feed those who are spending time at the rehearsal for you. It can be something easy and cheap, but do something. I was in a wedding a couple months ago and the couple just had pizza ordered in - just fine. 

I really like daria24's idea about having the facts on the tables themselves. Honestly, I don't know of many games/activities beyond the shoe game that don't force guest participation (which is not ok in my opinion). 
  • Options
    kfbrum79 said:
    I appreciate your input. We're having a rehearsal, but no dinner so it would be difficult to do it then. I have enjoyed games or similar "get to know the couple" activities at weddings I have attended and for my guests, most of them expect something like this at the reception. I'll give it some thought, but I'm still looking for some game/activity ideas.

if you are having a rehearsal, you need to host the people who attend the rehearsal in some way. It can be a simple pizza and beer or sandwiches at your home.  If you have your wedding party rehearse though, you should provide some food and beverages.
  • Options
    kfbrum79 said:
    If you have a rehearsal, you must have a dinner.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but if your friends and family are taking time to rehearse for your wedding, you need to host them afterwards.  Even something as simple as pizza is fine!

And ditto the PPs, skip the games.  Your wedding should be classy, not reminiscent of a kid's birthday party.  Adults do not want to play any games.  Trust me.
  • Options
    1. If you have a rehearsal, you absolutely, 100 percent, must have a dinner.  

2. I've never heard of games at wedding receptions.  I think that good food, good drinks, and good music are the keys to guests enjoying themselves, so I would focus on these things.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You need a meal of some sort after any rehearsal.  This is mandatory.  It doesn't have to be expensive and fancy-it can be sandwiches or pizza with soda and water.

Please, skip the games.  Most adults don't like them-they feel like "ice breakers" at work- or group activities that get on everyone's nerves.  People will enjoy themselves with dancing and just talking to each other.
  • Options
    I wasn't very clear about the rehearsal dinner. There will be food provided, but it's a come and go thing, not a "traditional" dinner. People will be fed. Please don't worry about that. I'd still appreciate ideas for the reception that are along the lines of what I'm already doing. I hear all of you and will take it into consideration, but currently I am going with a game and still need ideas, not people saying I shouldn't.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    I think you're out of luck if you're going to be asking for game ideas here then, because Knotties aren't here to validate ideas they don't agree with.

Sorry, but if you ask anyone for help of any kind, unfortunately you have to accept "don't" as the answer you're given.  It's not okay for you to dictate what kind of help you want.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

Charades, you should definetly play charades at your wedding.  It's a fun game!

• Options
    imo skip it.

• Options
    Weezy56Weezy56 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I would skip it. I'm sure it would make your guests feel terribly awkward
  • Options

I found a site for you which has a whole list of games.  I have seen the shoe game done and it was hilarious and i loved it!!

www.torontobrides.com/wedding_games_re.php

Too bad people can not keep their negative opinions to themselves

• Options
    It's not a game, but what about putting picture frames on each table that has facts about the both of you printed on paper & inserted into them? People can look at them as they eat without having to stop enjoying themselves/mingling/dancing to watch you play a game. Personally, I'd make every effort to talk to the folks you don't know from his side of the family & vice versa to get to know them & allow them to get to know you. That's how it usually works. But, the picture frame thing is far less awkward than a game & accomplishes the same thing.
  • Options
    Weezy56Weezy56 member
    niki&rob said:

I found a site for you which has a whole list of games.  I have seen the shoe game done and it was hilarious and i loved it!!

This is a public forum. People can post how they please. If someone can't take hearing thoughts that are different than theirs, maybe the Internet isn't the place for them.
  • Options
    niki&rob said:

Most people will post their opinions in order to help brides and save them embarrassment.  We have no vested interest in your wedding and will tell it like it is.  Your family and friends may not because they don't want to hurt your feelings. 

The majority here already said to skip it.  It's a wedding, not a birthday party.  In my eyes, if I saw games at a wedding, the wedding automatically loses classy points.  If you provide good food, music and drinks you don't need any silly games.  Adults can keep themselves entertained.
  • Options
    You girls act like a bunch of teenagers.  you have never seen the shoe game, it doesn't involve particaption from your guests, and since you have no idea what she was asking, your ignorant opinions should be kept to yourselves!  you are all being very snotty and condescending, grow up.
  • Options
    niki&rob said:
    You girls act like a bunch of teenagers.  you have never seen the shoe game, it doesn't involve particaption from your guests, and since you have no idea what she was asking, your ignorant opinions should be kept to yourselves!  you are all being very snotty and condescending, grow up.

the OP asked a question.  She got answers. She may not have received the answers she wanted, but she got valid answers. That doesn't make us teenagers or snotty.  We give honest advice and opinions here.  Games at weddings are generally ridiculous and childish.  That's the real issue. 

If you want butterflies and rainbows and validation of really horrible ideas, feel free to cruise over to weddingbee.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    niki&rob said:
    No, you grow up.

We don't have to have seen the "shoe game" to know we don't want to play it at anyone's wedding and would side eye it, and we're entitled to say so.

If you can't handle disagreement like an adult, this is not the forum for you.  It's not your place to decide how we respond.
  • Options
    Weezy56Weezy56 member
    niki&rob said:
  • Options
    niki&rob said:
    You're right, it doesn't involve direct participation from the guests. It involves them sitting there watching the bride and groom play a game. They are supposed to laugh when they get answers wrong, applaud when they both get them right, etc. It's boring. It disrupts the conversations, the families' getting to know each other, etc. that had probably been going on. 

And why exactly are you assuming that none of us have ever seen such a game played at a wedding? I have. I was bored. I thought it made the bride and groom look not only tacky but also self-centered, making everyone stop what they were doing to watch them for 15 minutes right when the party had gotten good.

On the other hand, I do sometimes appreciate having something a bit more game-like during cocktail hour, that guests can choose to do or not as they please. For example, wedding mad-libs that they can fill out and put in a box for the bride and groom to read and laugh over later. That way, guests who enjoy games can enjoy them, and guests who don't do not have to.
  • Options
    niki&rob said:
    No, we're the adults stating our opinion that games are childish and don't belong at a wedding!  The only person that needs to grow up here is you.  Just because you don't like the answers doesn't mean we're ignorant. 
  • Options

I wasn't fond of the shoe game I saw, I thought it appeared very awkward, I'm not sure what you could do to 'modify' it. I haven't seen any other games at weddings.

Not sure what you think about showing a small video at some point? I have seen that a couple times near the end of the meal before the start of dinner. I liked those (as long as they weren't too long) as they showed pictures of the couple and let you see their relationship along the way. Just an option.

• Options
    Im having a madlib printed for guests to fill in during the time we are having picutres. its there is they wish to do it, but if they dont im not bothered. That being said, FI has said he will agree to hiring a professional photographer IF we go to the historical pubs he likes for pictures. He also mentioned allowing the guests to join us so the madlibs may not be needed at all! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    niki&rob said:
    you are all very snotty, the girl was asking for game suggestions, not whether or not she should have a game.  To each their own, your opinions should not disuade someone from the vision of their wedding.  I do not agree with most wedding decisions, but i am not going to JUDGE like most of you children are doing.  By the way, i notice most of whom happen to be the most distasteful commenters are the ones who have already been married, can i ask, are you that bored that you have to put your ignorant two cents into everything just to gang points on this site?  Im calling you out because i did not come on this site to see this kind of bullshit. i was hoping to see comradery and helpfulness.  Find something better to do you bitter, unfullfilled bitches!

JIC. And FYI, of course many of the women on this site are married. We've all planned a wedding and lived to see how those plans turned out in reality. I'd say we're vastly qualified to give wedding planning advice. If you wanted advice on childbirth who would you trust more, a pregnant first time mom or someone who has already had a kid?
  • Options
    I've seen the shoe game at a couple of friends' receptions and wouldn't do it simply because I'd feel like I'm copying them. Our DJ gave us a checklist that includes "facts about the bride and groom." We are looking for something they can do between the ceremony and reception while we're out taking photos, but there will be plenty of things going on during the reception (toasts, cake-cutting, first dances, etc.) so I don't think games are even necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Please, OP, just let your guests mingle and talk like the adults they are. That's far better than any game. Games are for showers, not receptions, and even then a lot of people don't actually like them.
  • Options
    My brother's reception he taped raffle tickets to the bottom of the seats they had chivarli chairs so it worked , they had my adorable nephew pick the raffle tickets from a hat and guest won prizes gift cards from $25- $100 it was fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards