Chit Chat
Options

Car accident - advice needed

Hey all, I need your quick advice on something. I was just in a small accident (minor scrapes on both of our cars, not a huge deal) in a situation which seemed to be the other driver's fault. We were driving down a one-way street and I was in the leftmost lane. I was looking in my rearview mirror (for apparently too long) when I looked forward and the car in the right lane started to turn left in front of me to pull into a gas station (not at a light). I managed to veer off the road and avoid a street light but I made minor contact with the car. I was awesome and calm and we exchanged information (license plate, driver's license, photos of damage, name and number) but the guy was quick to blame me. I told him we'd let our insurance companies figure it out. I remained friendly and optimistic because he was young and obviously upset.

I tried the non-emergency police lines but after ten minutes I gave up when no one answered. They usually don't show up for such minor accidents anyway.

So I started to call my insurance agency (after I got home) to file the claim but then I got a call from the kid I got in the accident with. He had his dad on the phone who is a "retired police officer" and he asked if we could get this resolved without bringing in our insurance companies because he didn't want his son to have a tarnished record right out of college. So basically they admitted that it was his son's fault. They asked me to get a few quotes for repairs and send them and they'd foot the bill.

Are there any loopholes here? Should I still talk to my insurance company? What would you do? This is the only accident I've been in where I was one of the drivers.

Thanks in advance ladies (and a few gents)!

Re: Car accident - advice needed

• Options
    If I were you I'd still file a claim.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    Glad you're ok! I'm not an insurance expert, but I would also probably just file the claim. 
  • Options
    File a claim. I have been burned by this type of situation before, it's better to cover your ass!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

File the claim.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Do I have a deadline for filing a claim? Can I give the guy 24 hours to get back to me on the estimates and then call the insurance company?
  • Options
    Glad you are ok, but definitely file a claim. This sounds fishy to me. I was in an accident once that I'm pretty sure was caused on purpose by the other guy to get business for his friend's auto shop. So now, whenever something seems off with car stuff, I don't trust it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    File the claim.  Sounds like it was his fault if he was changing lanes and you were going straight.  
  • Options
    he was probably texting...why would you try to turn the opposite way from the side of the road you were on?!?!?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    he was probably texting...why would you try to turn the opposite way from the side of the road you were on?!?!?
    NO idea. He yelled at me, "Didn't you see my turn signal?!" Because a turn signal obviously automatically gives you right of way. Right. And I hope he wasn't texting, because his mom was in the car with him and then that means there were two people essentially texting rather than watching where they were going.

I called my insurance company to let them know about the accident and they filed a draft of a claim with the other party's information. They said that I could try working it out with the other party first and that I can finish the claim at any time - that it's worth a try. After talking to the guy's dad on the phone, I recapped the conversation in an email to the dad and stipulated that they would provide a cashier's check or cash to cover the costs of repairs. I asked him to confirm within 24 hours and that I'd have the estimates to him by tomorrow evening. If he doesn't confirm (and I didn't tell him this because I'm trying to remain fair and friendly right now), I'll be submitting the claim.
  • Options

His mother was in the car with him?  Does she have an opinion on  what happened?  This story seems weird to me.  I'm not going to comment on who was at fault because there are a number of factors missing from the story - how fast you both were going, how far in front of you he was when you started looking in the rearview mirror, how long you were not paying attention to the traffic in front of you, etc.  But, I would've called the insurance company as well.

Good luck!

• Options
    I think you did the right thing by calling your insurance company anyway.  About 6 months ago, one of the onsite techs at work backed straight into my car in front of 2 of my coworkers.  It was also caught on camera.  I flipped out for a few minutes and then talked to him and he didn't want to call the cops.  We exchanged info and I went and got 2 estimates.  I presented him with both and he paid me in cash.  I got the impression that accidents were a common occurrence for him and he couldn't afford to be dropped from his insurance.  

It worked out for me because I didn't have to rent a car since I was going away for 4 days on business.  If he pays you cash, make sure you are covered for a rental or someone has a car you can borrow.
    photo a30c432e-0cf0-41d0-b1f3-bf4836bea2fc_zps89190598.jpg
  • Options
    Joy2611 said:

His mother was in the car with him?  Does she have an opinion on  what happened?  This story seems weird to me.  I'm not going to comment on who was at fault because there are a number of factors missing from the story - how fast you both were going, how far in front of you he was when you started looking in the rearview mirror, how long you were not paying attention to the traffic in front of you, etc.  But, I would've called the insurance company as well.

Good luck!

Thanks! They already admitted fault since they asked to pay for the damage. I was looking in the mirror for maybe 3 seconds and he didn't have his turn signal on before I looked in my mirror. I'm not sure how fast he was moving, but I was going about 30 MPH. I'm just glad that I swerved as much as I did without hitting the streetlight!

The mother didn't say anything but was very pleasant to me. She was on the same page - not discussing who was at fault and just exchanging information. Her son was a little upset and tried to discuss it but I "beandipped" him.

It is fishy, and I have enough information from them to take it to the insurance company tomorrow if they go MIA for some reason.
  • Options
    Ah - that makes sense.  Sorry this happened, zoberg!
  • Options
    File the claim.  A lot of times, estimates are for less than the actual cost of repairs - because some damage can't be determined until they take your car apart to fix it.  So, even if they give you an actual check for the estimate, you could still end up owing more when the work is actually done.
  • Options
    Noooooooo, file now. Or yesterday. It is a common scam to convince minor accident participants to skip a file, after which there is no official report on the severity of the damage, both to driver or car.

Your insurance company will probably get a claim from him where he's got whiplash, and oh his bumper is missing, and his transmission's never been right since.. etc.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options

I tend to agree with Gisellerina. I was rear ended at a stoplight a few years ago, the damage appeared really minor but the estimate that their insurance company gave me was several thousand dollars less than the actual repairs.

If you do end up not filing the claim, I would get it in writing that they are responsible for the cost of any additional damage the repair shop finds and that by paying they are admitting fault.

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Keep in my also, just because they offered to pay, and that is them accepting blame in your mind, they could turn around and say something completely different to the Insurance Company.  Especially if the damage is to the read of his car and front of yours.  That type of damage can easily be construed as you rearending him (even though that does not seem to be the case at all from what you are saying).  The last thing you want is him suddenly popping up with a suspicious injury blaming it on you.
  • Options
    I agree that you should definitely file the claim. They may honestly want to take care of the damages for you and keep it off the son's record, but as others pointed out it could turn out very differently.  I also agree very much with @missax that without submitting a report from your point of view of what happened, you're opening yourself up for a less scrupulous person to invent a very different story down the road. Lastly, I don't know how common this is, but my insurance company guarantees repair jobs performed by approved garages for 5 years. Meaning if the repair doesn't hold up as it should, my insurance company will take care of getting it re-done. If you take these people's cash and go to a garage without involving your insurance company, you won't have that protection.  
  • Options
    I would file the claim. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I would not want to NOT file and then have it bite me in the ass later. The only time I agreed to not file is when someone just barely side swiped my car while it was parked (I was in a restaurant and they actually came in to find out who the car belonged to) and a small side light on my car fell off. That was the only damage, the gave me their phone numbers, address, and insurance info just in case but preferred to pay me directly, It only cost 20 bucks, I found out, so I just had them mail me a check.

Anything more major and I would definitely file. Just like a PP said, you don't want them coming back later trying to sue for injuries, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I have watched enough Judge Judy and People's Court and Joe Brown and Mathis to know that you should file a claim!!! People end up in court because even though they protected themselves by keeping e-mail records and getting notarized letters promising to pay any damage.....they don't always do it!
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    First, the idea that he was texting and that is why he was turning left is ridiculous. How exactly do you get to something on the left side of the road if you you don't turn into it, @Smalfrie19? I'm sure it was probably his fault, but this claim makes no logical sense. For the rest, I've been on both sides of this (especially when the damage is likely less than the deductible) and never been scammed, but I agree that if you feel even a little uneasy, you should just file the claim.
    I totally agree with this. As someone frequently involved in car accidents (seriously ridiculously frequently, I have the worst luck and am also probably a crappy driver) I have done it both ways but if you are getting a weird vibe I would definitely file the claim. I've had it work out fine just getting a check from the other driver when it was a friend's car that was involved. But, on the other hand, I also once got left in a parking lot by a guy "running to grab a pen" after he completely smashed my car. Definitely better safe than sorry! 
  • Options
    First I'd report it to to the police to get it on record, file a claim because you know they will not file. I do all of this just to save my toosh...even though it may be minor. You can NEVER trust people! It doesn't hurt you by filing a claim or reporting it. It also doesn't involve this kid's father or that fact that the kid is in college (really? a sap story to make you feel bad?) I wouldn't even have responded or spoken with these people, that's what the insurance company is for. I'm sorry this happened to you, but thank goodness they were able to give you their insurance info and do make it easier on yourself by letting the insurance company help and protect you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards