Catholic Weddings

Catholic ceremony

Could anyone provide me with a "cheat sheet" of every reading, song, and how many people participate in each. It will be much appreciated! I'm trying to figure out who will be doing what at the ceremony. Thank you in advance!!

Re: Catholic ceremony

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I answered your other post on the Ceremonies board.

That being said, who are you doing Pre Cana with? The priest at this church you're "renting" or with your guest priest?

We went over the order of worship and our preferences for readings and hymns during one of our Pre Cana meetings with our priest. While the order of worship is "generally" the same, each priest has his preferences for Marriage ceremonies.

• @ItzMS We have recently moved so we have did the focus test with the priest marrying us and marriage encounter where we live now. It's so complicated!
  • Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    This is a good overview for a Catholic wedding with a full mass
    http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-with-mass.htm

Or for ceremony outside of mass
    http://www.catholicweddinghelp.com/topics/order-wedding-outside-mass.htm

Generally you can have up to 3 readers (first reading, second reading, prayers of the faithful). The people doing readings should believe in what they are reading, but some priests may prefer readers to be Catholic so check on this.

You can also ask people to bring up the gifts if you are having a full mass (usually 2-4 people and IMO they should be Catholic).

If you are thinking of asking friends or family members to sing or play instruments it may help if they are familiar with the Catholic mass and you should contact the music coordinator at the church (if you have one that helps with weddings) about this.

• @MJ4205, we did the Focus test first with our priest, but you still need to do pre cana.  At the end of pre cana your priest should give you a book that guides you on the ceremony.  It varies if your both Catholic or not, if you are doing a full mass or not, etc.  I would definitely meet with your priest again, at the least to discuss pre cana.
  • For the record, our priest never mentioned anything about the ceremony once.  So, for some brides and grooms, it is necessary to research some on their own, and ask questions.  I finally asked my priest some questions, and his preferences are much different than typical ceremonies.

SaveSave
  • @monkeysip, did you do your pre-cana with your priest?  
  • Yeah, but our pre-cana was kind of informal.

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards