Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Sizing

I'm trying to figure out my size. I have been dieting and working out hard core lately because I want to be in a size I am happy with. Is it true that most wedding dresses fit tight and that you have to get like 2 sizes bigger than what you normally wear?

Re: Sizing

• Options
    JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
     I don't think this is true. My dress is in the size I would normally wear. It could depend on the style of dress maybe, but the ones I tried on all fit in my one size. Also, remember you can always have your dress sized after purchasing it if you lose some more weight. 

Why is it you're trying to figure out your size by the way? Are you waiting before dress shopping to be a specific size? Or are you wanting to know your size before ordering online maybe? If you're going to purchase in store, they'll size you to know what sizes to show you samples in. If you are looking to order online where you can't sample sizes, you can always go to a seamstress & have them size you. That way you have your measurements. (This generally costs $ if you're only going to them for this). You could also do some local wedding dress shopping to get an idea of what you want. They'll size you for free, and that'll not only let you know what size you are, but give you an idea of what type of dresses suit your body type. :) Just a couple of ideas for you if this is the dilemma you're dealing with. Good luck! 

*J

• Options
    It will vary depending on the dress style, your body shape and the designer.  I am a street size 14/16.  My wedding dress was a size 20.  In dropped waist or mermaid I was a 22 in some designers.  in some a-lines,  I could easily fit into a 14/16 I some designers.  At Davids Bridal, I was in a 16 in some dresss and a 20 in others.  On average though from what I've seen here and in my own experience, most people are 1-2 sizes bigger in bridal sizes than they are in street clothes.
  • Options

It depends on the designer and the style of your dress.  I ordered my dress in an 8.  By the wedding day I was wearing a 4-6 in street clothes.

When you shop for your wedding dress the last thing you should be concerned about is the number on the tag.  What you need to focus on is fit and how it makes you feel when you are in it.  My friend made the mistake about focusing on the number when she bought her dress.  She was horrified when they told her she needed to order a 16.  She instead ordered a 12, I guess to make her feel better even though no one would know what size her dress was.  Well guess what?  The dress came in and it didn't come close to fitting.  They had to do a rush order to get her a new one.  Listen to the bridal salon when they give you sizing suggestions.

• Options
    d2vad2va member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I dont get the "I want to know my size" thing. Are you happy with yourself, how you look now? Why does the actual number even matter?

Each designer is different, and will size their collections differently.

As PPS stated, if youre wanting to know your exact dress measurements you will need to go to a seamstress in order to get the numbers, unless you plan to go to DBs and be in stealth mode, waste your time and pretend to want a dress to get your measurements.

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm a size 2/4 in street clothes and my dress is a size 8. I'm technically a 1/2 inch too large for it in my bust and hips too. It didn't phase me at all when she said that because I knew bridal sizes tend to be different than street sizes. 
  • Options
    In my experience, the sizes do run larger. When I got married the first time, I was a size 6, and I had to order a size 12 wedding dress. Now, I'm a size 10/12 (hoping to be more firmly in the 10 range by the time of the wedding!), and my wedding dress is a size 16.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The size doesn't matter, and like pps said, you need to go try on dresses anyway, but all the dresses, from many different brands, i tried on were too small.

They were all sample size 12, which is my size.  None of them would zip up, but the one corset back I tried on would tie up, but was still too small.  In all those dresses, I probably would have had to order a 16 or something.

Same with my BM dresses.  Both my girls were really freaked out by the number... at least 2-3 sizes larger than their normal size.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Thank you, I just wanted to know so I could get an idea of what to possibly start looking for and for how much weight I want to lose before I go looking.
  • Options

You know, you would think the bridal industry would take note of the horrible self-esteem problems they are giving brides by sizing the dresses so damn small and start sizing them normally.

• Options
    Lots of formal dresses are like this, not just wedding dresses.  My prom dress was 2 dress sizes bigger than normal, as was my wedding dress.  Formal wear tends to not be vanity sized, whereas everyday clothes are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I normally wear a 4, but my wedding dress is an 8. My dress has a corset back if that helps any. The 6 was just slightly too small. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards