Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tea Reception

Is it ok to have a tea reception after a morning or afternoon wedding? I will have guests (mostly family) coming in from out of town, but I would specify on the invitations that it is a tea reception. I just can't afford a sit down meal or even lots of food for a meal-time buffet. What types of things should I include for the tea? How would I keep the tea warm? I was thinking having several different cute teapots, but I'm not sure of the logistics. Would this be ok and fun? Or would this be a bad idea for a summer wedding (in a barn)? 
I'm thinking maybe also have cold treats, like chilled watermelon slices and maybe sherbet or italian ice. Not sure about the pricing for those though. 

Re: Tea Reception

• That sounds good! Would you suggest getting these things catered? Or just getting them from somewhere and having a friend or someone else in charge of setting them up and keeping them ready during the reception?
  • Also, would it be appropriate to have dancing at this style of reception? And is it ok just to have different serving stations and a few tables, rather than having seats for every guest? I feel like people will end up mingling. We will probably have some seating inside and outside of the barn, I was thinking a picnic table and some cute benches outdoors, maybe with a cute umbrella. 
  • I agree with sleeper that it would be best to hire a caterer.  You don't want your friends to work at your wedding (either invite them as a guest to enjoy it or pay them for their services if they work), and a caterer will ensure that all food is at the proper temperature, especially an issue if it's going to be hot.  

And please have seating for every guest.  If it's going to be hot, I would not plan on many guests sitting outside in the sun.
  • you also need to figure out what time your ceremoney starts and ends if its during dinner time you want to serve them dinner if its early afternoon you should be fine. call up some catering companys and see if they will work with you.. 
  • @leighbie87 - an iced tea and lemonade bar sounds awesome for a summer afternoon wedding!

Take care,
    Kim

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards