Chit Chat

I LOVE MY TO-BE FATHER-IN-LAW!!

Everything about him,  I love my to-be MIL too, but we lived with her for a period of time and I've gotten the chance to tell her I love her. Mostly during a break down of some sort,  but on many occasions I've told her I love her. We've been spending more time with to-be FIL, this past weekend he invited us to a camp, we had A BLAST! On top of all the amazing things we did,  we sat around fire, drank beer, and talked.  To-be FIL is not really the type to open up and especially talk about his feelings but I saw a side of him I hadn't really seen. Even after FI fell asleep,  his dad and I stayed up talking probably another hour.  It was awesome,  we get along really great. What I'm getting at though,  the next day when we were parting ways, I wanted to tell him "I love you" but I don't know,  I didn't do it.  I'm curious when you started telling your in-laws that you loved them.  I guess it will probably happen when we actually get married. 
Lilypie - (pZmO)

Daisypath - (m6Pg)

Re: I LOVE MY TO-BE FATHER-IN-LAW!!

• kryan32kryan32 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

i think it depends on how outgoing you are and how affectionate/outgoing/easy-going he is...  We say I love you all the time in my family and we're big huggers, but not every family is like that...

I'm sure you'll know when it feels right to say it

Take care,
    Kim

• I'm so glad. I told my future mother in law I loved her after 7 years of knowing her.  She had taken me on an overseas trip and made me feel like one of the family.
  • I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your post sounds obsessed and crazy. 

LOL
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Um yeah, this was not something that I sat around and thought about... the amount of effort you're putting into this seems a little creepy. If you are in a situation where you want to say it, just say it.

ETA: I tell my MIL I love her occasionally (at the end of phone calls, after a long emotional convo) because I do. I don't say it to my SFIL, though I respect him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Ditto @Misssunshine17

I've found that if I ever start thinking about when it's "appropriate" to tell someone you love them, chances are, it's because your relationship isn't at the point where you're really ready to say it.  Stop worrying about it.  In time, it will happen naturally.

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Cgelske said:
    Everything about him,  I love my to-be MIL too, but we lived with her for a period of time and I've gotten the chance to tell her I love her. Mostly during a break down of some sort,  but on many occasions I've told her I love her. We've been spending more time with to-be FIL, this past weekend he invited us to a camp, we had A BLAST! On top of all the amazing things we did,  we sat around fire, drank beer, and talked.  To-be FIL is not really the type to open up and especially talk about his feelings but I saw a side of him I hadn't really seen. Even after FI fell asleep,  his dad and I stayed up talking probably another hour.  It was awesome,  we get along really great. What I'm getting at though,  the next day when we were parting ways, I wanted to tell him "I love you" but I don't know,  I didn't do it.  I'm curious when you started telling your in-laws that you loved them.  I guess it will probably happen when we actually get married. 
    I don't say 'I love you' to my MIL or my FIL. I could see myself saying it to my MIL at some point in the future but H doesn't even say it to his dad so I don't know why I would. 

I agree with PPs that your post sounds a bit creepy. 

• rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Yeah, I agree that this post is weird and sounds a little obsessed.  It reminds me of the girl last year who dumped her FI for her FFIL. 

I don't know if I will ever tell my future in-laws whether I love them.  But I'm not like that. If that is you, go for it.  But try and not obsess over it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of my FFIL, and for good reason, but when his Mom says I love you to me, I say it back. (His Dad has never said it, and neither have I to him.)  It isnt something I sit and ponder to myself all night weather or not to say it.  I say I love you to all my family, especially when parting ways, it just seems natural.   I wouldn't go up to my FIL at a family gathering and gaze into his eyes and tell him I love him though lol 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards