Wedding Woes

Grumbling inside

So, I've just stepped up and taken charge of something in my social group.  And I just want to grumble about the fact that people talk a big game, but never step it up.

#1  I have been gently and nicely asking for ideas for our website.  I've purchased the domain and been nicely waiting for something, anything to happen with it for about 3 months now. Well, I'm fed up.  I lined up a web designer friend who is willing to work on the cheap as long as he can use the website for promotion of himself and we have a meeting set to hammer out details.  I've got a list of ideas for him to look over and a deadline of 2 months to get a basic up and running, then a month for fine tuning, then another month to see about hosting needs to hammer out possible discussion boards and blogging (as requested).  So, I ask the group what things would they like to see on the website?  *crickets* is the response.

The thing that is irritating me is that I KNOW once the effin' thing is up, people are going to be all, "Why didn't you do this?  I wanted this.  This should be like this".  And I'm going to nicely say, EABOD, I asked you.

#2  People were all full of ideas at last meeting about why our meetings suck.  So, I step up in planning the meetings.  Fine.  I ask the group, "This and this were mentioned as things that sucked.  I have put into place this and this, however, are there specific things you would like to see?"  *crickets* again.  So, group monthly meetings are All Varuna's Ideas, All the Time.  Which I'm totally fine with myself  :), however, this is not Varuna's Club.

#3  I have a real problem with criticism coming from people who aren't paid members.  I struggle mightily with not handing a Ho Sit Down Card to them.  I'll listen to them until they get annoying, but if you're not a paid member, I'm not going to be annoyed by you, okay?

Please note:  I have never laid out this criticism to anyone except board members in private meetings.  I'm not trying to scare off potential members and I'm trying to rein in my natural inclination to Lay Down The Law.  It just gives me a headache sometimes.  :D

Re: Grumbling inside

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've been struggling a bit with this in our group too.  I have no wisdom.
  • VarunaTT said:

So, I've just stepped up and taken charge of something in my social group.  And I just want to grumble about the fact that people talk a big game, but never step it up.

#1  I have been gently and nicely asking for ideas for our website.  I've purchased the domain and been nicely waiting for something, anything to happen with it for about 3 months now. Well, I'm fed up.  I lined up a web designer friend who is willing to work on the cheap as long as he can use the website for promotion of himself and we have a meeting set to hammer out details.  I've got a list of ideas for him to look over and a deadline of 2 months to get a basic up and running, then a month for fine tuning, then another month to see about hosting needs to hammer out possible discussion boards and blogging (as requested).  So, I ask the group what things would they like to see on the website?  *crickets* is the response.

The thing that is irritating me is that I KNOW once the effin' thing is up, people are going to be all, "Why didn't you do this?  I wanted this.  This should be like this".  And I'm going to nicely say, EABOD, I asked you.

#2  People were all full of ideas at last meeting about why our meetings suck.  So, I step up in planning the meetings.  Fine.  I ask the group, "This and this were mentioned as things that sucked.  I have put into place this and this, however, are there specific things you would like to see?"  *crickets* again.  So, group monthly meetings are All Varuna's Ideas, All the Time.  Which I'm totally fine with myself  :), however, this is not Varuna's Club.

#3  I have a real problem with criticism coming from people who aren't paid members.  I struggle mightily with not handing a Ho Sit Down Card to them.  I'll listen to them until they get annoying, but if you're not a paid member, I'm not going to be annoyed by you, okay?

Please note:  I have never laid out this criticism to anyone except board members in private meetings.  I'm not trying to scare off potential members and I'm trying to rein in my natural inclination to Lay Down The Law.  It just gives me a headache sometimes.  :D

I hate that. Hate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards