Luxury Weddings

Post all of the beautiful things here

Re: Post all of the beautiful things here

• AJuliaNJ said:
    CrazyCat - yes, Diana by Vera Wang! Soooo dreamy! And I LOVE solitaires! A "real" diamond doesn't need little ones around it. I think halos make take away from the carat size and makes it look artificially big in size, but makes the large center diamond smaller.
    I love my halo. I wore my ring as a solitaire for a year and a half, but fell in love with a halo setting when we were searching for bands. Trust me, my diamond is a "real" diamond. 
    Well said. I have a 3 stone halo ring. And trust me it's very "real".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AJuliaNJ said:
    CrazyCat - yes, Diana by Vera Wang! Soooo dreamy! And I LOVE solitaires! A "real" diamond doesn't need little ones around it. I think halos make take away from the carat size and makes it look artificially big in size, but makes the large center diamond smaller.
    I love my halo. I wore my ring as a solitaire for a year and a half, but fell in love with a halo setting when we were searching for bands. Trust me, my diamond is a "real" diamond. 
    My halo is also very "real," trust me, we have the certification to prove it.

Hoboken, I love your ring!  Very unique! 

Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Here's my real diamond.  The resolution isn't great :(
  • That's beautiful, @NYCBruin!
  • Thanks!  I love it.  FI picked it out with some input from my MOH (I had no idea).  I love that it's my style but that he picked it.

All the rings on here are seriously stunning.  I love yours; both with and without the halo!
  • LoredLored member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Angelica - not sure if you're still following this, but your wedding looks gorgeous and amazing!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!
  • My ring :-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @prettygirllost, oohhhh pretty! I love it! The side detail is really unique and beautiful.
  • AJuliaNJ said:
    @prettygirllost, oohhhh pretty! I love it! The side detail is really unique and beautiful.
    Thanks!  I loved the detail on the band and the "surprise" diamonds too.  The ring was a total surprise, GG FI :-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Angelica - not sure if you're still following this, but your wedding looks gorgeous and amazing!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!
    Hi girls, thanks for the compliments. Actually ealier this year in January our wedding was featured on Brides Magaxine duh! How could I forget! Anyway, here's the link to the blog where it was published online: http://www.brides.com/blogs/aisle-say/2013/01/romantic-outdoor-wedding-califorina-st-regis-monarch-beach-resort.html Quickie highlight video:
  • edited July 2013
    I'm not a comp person so not sure what happened Check out this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/NNPyeasMO3U
  • AJuliaNJ said:

I never said they weren't real. I said a "real" [big] diamond doesn't need to be made to look artificially larger by adding a halo. It takes away from the center stone (my opinion). It's cheaper to get a 2-3 carat stone and wrap a halo around it than to buy a 4-5 carat stone. Stones this large don't need halos, they speak for themselves. All rings are beautiful but nothing is classier than the Beauty of the solitaire!
  • NYCBruin said:

AJuliaNJ said:

I never said they weren't real. I said a "real" [big] diamond doesn't need to be made to look artificially larger by adding a halo. It takes away from the center stone (my opinion). It's cheaper to get a 2-3 carat stone and wrap a halo around it than to buy a 4-5 carat stone. Stones this large don't need halos, they speak for themselves. All rings are beautiful but nothing is classier than the Beauty of the solitaire!

Ugh...you're first two sentences are not the problem, that's an opinion. The rest is where you imply girls with halos do so because they don't have as much money as you, which is impossible to know and rude to imply. You should really just drop it.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• edited July 2013
    AJuliaNJ said:

Some people may just prefer the halo look, nothing to do with being cheap necessarily, but I don't mean this in a combative way.

I'm like a magpie, I love me some sparkle! 

However, unpopular opinion here, I don't like solitaire rings aesthetically, and I especially don't like huge solitaire rings.  They can look really gaudy and AW, and on some people's fingers I think they look way too big.  Not directed at anyone in this thread, just a confession!

ETA for clarity and typos.

• Ajuliana said:
    AJuliaNJ said:

Ugh...you're first two sentences are not the problem, that's an opinion. The rest is where you imply girls with halos do so because they don't have as much money as you, which is impossible to know and rude to imply. You should really just drop it.
    I know, I should drop it, but I wanted to say that I did not read into her original statement the same way. I did not think that she was hinting at having more money or anyone being cheap. In fact, based on some of the pics I've seen on here, some of the halo center stones are probably larger than some of the solitare rings. But, what does size matter any way? Everyone has a different priority on how they spend their money. Some people spend money they don't have, others have a ton of it and never spend it. Some people throw their money into a ring, but don't have a fancy wedding. Others throw their money into a wedding and not the ring. Again, I didn't get that vibe at all from that statement and the point of this board is to be able to talk about things wihout having to worry about money being brought up in a negative light (whether it's not having a budget or someone bragging to make themselves sound important.)

• That's so ugly to say. If the shoe fits, lace it up and wear it. I never ever meant it to be demeaning in any way, but it seems certain ppl have insecurities about it already or they themselves do think that way. I said this is my opinion only. I like the classic Tiffany setting, the class of Elizabeth Taylor, etc.
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Ajuliana said:
    AJuliaNJ said:

Agreed.  It's fine to have an opinion that you like solitaires better than other settings, but it really does come across as judgmental of people with halos to imply that the reason why people have halos is because they can't afford a larger stone.  Everyone has different preferences when it comes to engagement rings, which is why not everyone has the same one!  

For example, some people would rather have a smaller flawless stone than a larger stone with even a few flaws in it.  Other people would prefer the larger stone.  Some people want one large focal stone, other's prefer the look of multiple stones or halos.  Other people prefer to not have a diamond as their focal point at all.  Think about Kate Middleton or Jackie O.

To assume that someone has a preference on their ring based on cost alone does come across as judgmental, which is why people were upset with your statement.
  • Correct, that's why I said my opinion. I never said its better. I did not imply anything.
  • That's so ugly to say. If the shoe fits, lace it up and wear it. I never ever meant it to be demeaning in any way, but it seems certain ppl have insecurities about it already or they themselves do think that way. I said this is my opinion only. I like the classic Tiffany setting, the class of Elizabeth Taylor, etc.
    I'm sorry if you thought my post was directed at you, it really wasn't!

I wouldn't call it insecurities, I just get offended when someone implies that FI selected my engagement ring to make it look bigger to compensate for not being able to afford a bigger diamond (which apparently are the only real diamonds).  I have a halo ring because FI found out from a friend of mine that I adore the halo look and would prefer that over a solitaire or a three-stone ring.  

I'm sure you would get offended if someone came here saying "I think large solitaire rings are for people who are compensating for their relationship for not being enough.  If your relationship is strong enough then you should only need a small diamond."  Obviously that's not true and would be a hurtful thing for someone to say.  Just like your statement implying that people with halos are trying to compensate for not being able to buy a bigger diamond is hurtful and untrue.
  • @stage, that comment was beautifully done.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• CrazyCat - yes, Diana by Vera Wang! Soooo dreamy! And I LOVE solitaires! A "real" diamond doesn't need little ones around it. I think halos make take away from the carat size and makes it look artificially big in size, but makes the large center diamond smaller.
    I never said they (diamonds in halo settings) weren't real. I said a "real" [big] diamond doesn't need to be made to look artificially larger by adding a halo. It takes away from the center stone (my opinion). It's cheaper to get a 2-3 carat stone and wrap a halo around it than to buy a 4-5 carat stone. Stones this large don't need halos, they speak for themselves. All rings are beautiful but nothing is classier than the Beauty of the solitaire!
    Correct, that's why I said my opinion. I never said its better. I did not imply anything.
    No, see you did say they (diamonds in a halo setting) weren't real - see the first bolded. If you had just left it at "I LOVE solitaires" no one would have batted an eye. 

You also assume that people with halo settings are trying to make their diamonds look bigger by adding little stones around them. Maybe they just like the setting. Maybe they didn't want a solitaire. Maybe their FI picked it out and it's special to them for that reason. Whatever the reason, it's not your place to make assumptions.

In the second bolded, you dug yourself a deeper hole by explaining what you meant by "real". You clarified that a "real" diamond is a big diamond. Implying that smaller diamonds are not "real". How materialistic and untrue. Not everyone wants to be blinging around town like Zsa Zsa Gabor. If YOU want to, good for you.

Here's what's ok, "I love solitaires."  "I think halos distract from the center stone" (both opinions and I agree with you on both counts, btw, which is why I have a solitaire myself), but what's NOT ok and what I DO NOT agree with you on is what is and is not a "real" diamond and your assumptions that the purpose of everyone's halo is to make their ring look bigger. It's a personal preference and judging someone else's is not your place.
    *********************************************************************************

• Omg you guys are reading wayyyy to deep into it. I don't take offense to anything you've said because I know the way I meant it. Yes, other women who have super rich husbands compensate by "if I have this lifestyle and everything I want, I can turn the blind eye at his cheating" etc. I do real estate for a living, so I see it a lot. It doesn't offend me that anyone can think that of me because I know the truth: I actually triple my husband's income. People don't know that and I don't care what they think.

I NEVER said they weren't real I said Halos make diamonds look ARTIFICIALLY LARGER (did I say it makes the diamond fake? No.) AND that in MY opinion a diamond is so beautiful it needs nothing else. Like when your husband or fiancé says "you look so beautiful without makeup", like THAT. In MY OPINION, a gorgeous diamond doesn't need to be dressed up.

Halos are popular. Almost every single bride to be has one. Not for me. I like classic elegance. Fads come and go. The classic setting will stand the test of time. Just like lace gowns: timeless, ageless, can't put a date on it.
  • You can believe I am wrong and you can think what you want, I did not say that you could not do that.  My life goes on wonderfully despite what you believe I said and despite what you think of me.

Now, can we all get over it?

• I admit to everything I typed, I never denied anything. 

"I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you hear".

• I admit to everything I typed, I never denied anything. 

"I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you hear".

I'm not saying that is or is not a good mantra to have in real life, but on the Internet it's definitely an unwise one.

We don't know you.  We can't read your tone.  All we have to go off of is the words you type.  That means that sometimes what you mean to say and what you actually say won't be the same thing.  Welcome to the faceless world of the Internet.

Usually if a whole bunch of people think you're saying something that you didn't mean to say, it means that you need to clarify.  You didn't really do that in this case.  You tried to explain what you meant and ended up saying more insulting things (whether intentional or not, that's the way they were read), and that's why people aren't letting it go.

In the future if you write something and realize that it was read by people in a way you didn't intend, own up to it and apologize.  People will move on pretty quickly.
  • Of course I can apologize for the misunderstanding. I did say That I in no way meant for it to be understood in the offensive manner a few ppl took it, but of course that wasn't enough, speaking of the Internet, why take it this far and so seriously? I sure don't. Relax, nothing is ever that serious.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker

This was such a fun thread there for a while with everyone showing pictures of their pretty rings, dresses, cakes, etc.

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards