Luxury Weddings

Favorite/least favorite thing at a wedding

What are the best and worst things you've experienced at a wedding?

Best-I love a photo booth. I don't dance so that is something entertaining for me besides talking to people. I also love cupcake wedding cakes.

Worst-I hate when the DJ and other women make a big scene out of forcing single women to participate in the bouquet toss. The DJ announced its happening. If someone doesn't get up, they don't care to partake.

Re: Favorite/least favorite thing at a wedding

• My favorite part of a wedding is the cocktail hour!  

Least favorite is gaps between ceremony and reception.  I feel like it's a complete waste of my time.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013

Least: Black tie wedding that dont really qualify as truly black tie. I also hate gaps.

Favorite: watching the groom watch his bride come down the aisle. It is always such a moment of pure bliss! Also, dancing and open bars rank high on my list :)

ETA: I have never witnessed a dollar dance, or any other fundraiser, but that would have to go on my least favorite list also.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do not like the whole bouquet/garter toss spectacle. I always avoided it before I was married. I enjoy any personal touches that are incoporated in to make the wedding unique. Example- I had a friend have carolers outside the church as you entered since they got married on 12/26. Another friend has a total candy addiction, so they had a massive candy bar. I know that is something people do, but anyone who knew this person thought it was just so perfect. One of the most important aspects of my wedding was that it was so personal. Since we somewhat eloped, noone got to see it, but I really tried to make it a personal, intimate, all about our personalities type thing.

• My least favorite thing about weddings is contrived cuteness, whether that's having very small children who are too young to participate or dogs "included" in weddings, cutesy poems, signs, jokes, or themes, and other things that say the couple is just trying too hard to get an "Awwwwwww" reaction out of their guests.
  • Jen4948 said:
    My least favorite thing about weddings is contrived cuteness, whether that's having very small children who are too young to participate or dogs "included" in weddings, cutesy poems, signs, jokes, or themes, and other things that say the couple is just trying too hard to get an "Awwwwwww" reaction out of their guests.
    Good one! Are you having flower girls or ring bearers? We aren't and couldn't really articulate why we didn't like it. You very eloquently put our feelings into words. I'm actually horrified by some of the "cute" things kids do while walking down the aisle.
  • Least: Dollar dances, Sunday evening weddings, unassigned seating, bad DJs, "open mics", garter/bouquet toss, choreographed dances (chicken dance, YMCA, shout, etc), cash bars, "wedding food" which sometimes I question is food at all...

Best: Open bar! Air conditioning! I also love watching the groom as the bride walks down the aisle. I think I tend to always love the ceremony the most -- especially when it gets emotional. A great DJ or band is also awesome. And everything that is the opposite from the above!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Favorite part: if there is something entertaining for the guests

Least favorite: huge gaps, not enough food, or serious lack of entertainment

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AJuliaNJ, you would have liked our wedding -- we had a cupcake wedding cake and a photobooth.

My favorite thing at weddings is when couples have small touches that really represent their personalities.  H and I are both English teachers, so at our wedding we had books for centerpieces. We also had plastic bookmark sleeves with tassels so that people could turn their photobooth strips into bookmarks.  These were my favorite details of our wedding because they were so "us".

My least favorite thing at weddings is when a DJ sucks.  It just kills the entire atmosphere.  I also get really crabby if the cake is bad.
  • Favorite:

• Dancable band (with adequate dance floor),
    • personal touches including children and dogs if they are important to the couple (but not too cutesy).
    • Good food.

Least Favorite:

• Never seen a dollar dance but I am glad I haven't.
    • Gaps.
    • Choreographed dances for guests (as pp above stated).
    • Bouquet and garter toss but my MIL really wanted it so we did it. The woman who caught the bouquet was getting married in a month. The guy ended up meeting someone within the year he ultimately married. They used the garter in their wedding.

Cash bar.

• Daizy914 said:
    I feel bad now! i know gaps suck but I didn't have a choice. The ceremony starts at 3pm and will last no more than an hour. Estimated to be about a 1/2 hr. That gives people time to go home, and get dressed for the cocktail hour that starts at 6pm. I couldn't do the ceremony later because the church has Saturday mass at 5pm, so I didn't want to cut it too close because I wanted time to say hello to everyone who came to the church and get some pictures. I didn't care too much about the gap bc its only 2 1/2 hrs- and not everyone comes to the church.

My least favorite part of a wedding is the speeches/toasts- sometimes there are way too many of those! Its annoying when the food is no good and the music sucks. Cash bar, I mean I am giving a monetary gift and I have to pay for my own drinks.
    You had a choice.  That choice was to start the reception earlier.  You chose not to.  Why would people go home to get changed for the reception?  I've always worn whatever dress I wore to the church to the reception. 

• KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Best: good food, full bar, good dj/band Least: the "tosses" and trying to incorporate too many ideas, things, etc...it becomes cheesy.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • New least favorite: DJ's who have to bring their own photographers/videographers. Who wants to go to a wedding where 6 people are documenting them? FML.
  • My "hate it" list is waaaaayyyyy too b****y to post. 

I like seeing classy, rarely-done things in weddings--like a lack of the chicken dance, or a full church ceremony, or maybe a brunch reception, blah blah blah. 
  • AJuliaNJ said:
    New least favorite: DJ's who have to bring their own photographers/videographers. Who wants to go to a wedding where 6 people are documenting them? FML.
    LOL. 

At a typical wedding in Tel Aviv, you get, literally, approximately 6 photographers and videographers all up in the ceremony, to the extent that they are LITERALLY all you see... and this is considered to be OKAY! 

Okay. That's something that's socially acceptable to be sick of, I suppose. x-P 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    JoanE2012 said:
    Daizy914 said:
    I feel bad now! i know gaps suck but I didn't have a choice. The ceremony starts at 3pm and will last no more than an hour. Estimated to be about a 1/2 hr. That gives people time to go home, and get dressed for the cocktail hour that starts at 6pm. I couldn't do the ceremony later because the church has Saturday mass at 5pm, so I didn't want to cut it too close because I wanted time to say hello to everyone who came to the church and get some pictures. I didn't care too much about the gap bc its only 2 1/2 hrs- and not everyone comes to the church.

My least favorite part of a wedding is the speeches/toasts- sometimes there are way too many of those! Its annoying when the food is no good and the music sucks. Cash bar, I mean I am giving a monetary gift and I have to pay for my own drinks.
    You had a choice.  That choice was to start the reception earlier.  You chose not to.  Why would people go home to get changed for the reception?  I've always worn whatever dress I wore to the church to the reception. 

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. Of course you had a choice. You choose a catholic wedding and an evening reception thus inconvinencing your guests.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Favorite: GOOD food. There is way too much bad wedding food out there. I mean, it's turned into a joke. When food is excellent, I am a very happy girl.

Least: dollar dances. I've sat through way too many of them, and each time, my parents thrust dollars at me begging me to dance with the bride and groom when no one lines up. I refuse to participate.
  • Favorite: the vows especially if they are personal and unique to the couple Least: waiting long periods of time: for it to start, to eat, lag in between ceremony and reception etc..
  • Favorite-a good vegetarian meal, I hate when I go to a wedding and when I say I'm vegetarian I get pasta, a desert bar of some kind or a viennese table

Bad- feeling like I'm in a club with a DJ, loud music and obnoxious lighting

Most wedding I've attended have a gap when there is a wedding at the church when I was looking at venues some venues gave me a choice when I could start my reception like either noon or at 5pm because they would book an afternoon and a night event.

Anniversary

• @danser55, what are your favorite vegetarian dishes? Would you maybe take a look at my venue's options and let me know what sounds tastiest to you? I thought the Wellington sounded rather good:

http://www.wc-wi.org/index.cfm/weddings-parties/menu/dinner-vegetarian/
  • @zobird

I am also lactose intolerant but they all actually sound really good and different! The pot pie sunds good the penne pasta seems a bit generic though.  I would be willing to risk the stomach ache for the wellington.

I had a meal with a seasoned rice grilled veggies(zuchini, eggplant, squash), and a nice big portabello mushroom and some potatoes it was simple but pretty good that one stands out to me. 

Anniversary

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Food, good music and touches meaningful to the couple are my favorites. Least favorite things are bad/cold food, brides and grooms who make no effort to speak with their guests and not enough cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  

Daizy914 said:
    JoanE2012 and @katwag

I didn't have a choice to start the reception earlier because they had an event prior to mine. Not everything can be perfect in a wedding. I have never been to a wedding where there wasn't a gap.

you had a choice:
    if you had chosen a different kind of ceremony or had chosen a different date (i.e. one where your venue hadn't had an event prior to your wedding), you might have avoided the gap.

I've never been to a wedding with gaps.

Heart felt welcome by bride&groom and their families, good food

What I dislike about weddings:
    facebook invite, not enough space and squeezing people together into a tiny area, where everyone has to get up, if you want to go to the toilet, bride and groom not thanking anyone for coming

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    I was at a wedding this past weekend and I remembered another wedding thing I dont like: guests who bang/ tap a glass to get the bride and groom to kiss. Can't the bride and groom just kiss when they want to?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    I was at a wedding this past weekend and I remembered another wedding thing I dont like: guests who bang/ tap a glass to get the bride and groom to kiss. Can't the bride and groom just kiss when they want to?
    OMG- agreed! I'm heading to a wedding this weekend, so maybe I'll have more to add to the list when I get back :)

• KatWAG said:

THIS. I am dreading anyone doing this at our wedding. It's so obnoxious - I feel like its a buzz kill and party interrupter.
    *********************************************************************************

• Was at my brother's wedding this past weekend. Liked: photo booth, no gap, extensive cocktail hour. Disliked: tosses. Though it turned out that the girl and guy who caught the bouquet/garter were actually dating. So, it was a little more humorous than normal. I also had another dislike that is more on a personal level. My parents are divorced and do not get along. It's more my dad that is the problem than my mom. However, my SIL thought it necessary to have them sit in the same row at the ceremony and then be announced. The annoucements took much longer because her grandparents were also divorced. It's just like a never ending train of people. It's nice that she wanted to recognize all of the important family, but it was VERY TENSE for a few moments.

• I realize that this post is a little bit older, but just on the subject of gaps- this is a great chance to show your guests something fun or interesting about the place that you are getting married! My sister rented out a carousel between her ceremony site and venue, it provided beautiful pictures and a chance for everyone to have fun and relax!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards