Attire & Accessories Forum

Sizing question

I found a dress I absolutely loved last night!  Their sample size was a 10 and it *just* zipped (uncomfortably tight, but zipped).  After measuring me they recommended I order it in a 16...wha?  I was deeply skeptical and eventually they said a 14 would probably be fine.  There are a few reasons why I'm still skeptical though:  1) At other stores (and variety of different designers) if the sample size was 12 it fit PERFECTLY!  I mean zero alterations needed (going tea length so even a hem is doubtful) 2) My size really doesn't fluctuate (28 and can fit into pants from high school) 3) The 10 was zippable but going 2 sizes up seems a little much.

So.... what the heck do I order if I end up going with this dress?  It's already at the upper end of my budget but my fiance said it's fine if I go over since I set myself a pretty low dress budget (in my mind it is a dress for *1* day and even spending this much seems crazy for me). It also seems annoying to have to set myself up for alterations that there's a good I could avoid... but part of me has gone into worry mode.  Is it worth it suck it up, play it super safe and deal with alterations for the bodice?  It's fairly simple (no beading except for a removable belt) so I'm guessing alterations wouldn't be ridiculous.  Thoughts?

Here's the dress:
Bridal Gowns Voyage by Mori Lee 6747 Bridal Gown Image 1

Re: Sizing question

• Just remember that samples in bridal stores have been tried on by many shapes and sizes over and over again.  Because of this the dresses tend to get stretched out, meaning that size 10 sample could easily be a size 12 due to stretching.

An example (and this was before I was in the know about stretching) when I purchased my dess th sample was a bit too big and had to be clipped when I tried it on.  It was a size 10.  When they measured me they said I measured as a 10 but that since the sample was too big that an 8 would be best.  Well when the dress came in it was too small.  Luckily with working out and watching what I ate I was able to fit in it perfectly without many alterations.

What I think you should do is to get them to measure you (possibly by 2 or 3 different people) a few times just to make sure of the measurements and then go by the size the measurements are telling you. Alterations are pretty much unavoidable because a dress never fits perfectly because it was not custom made to you but rather just to a generic size so you need to prepare yourself for alterations.

• What everyone else said and also it's easier to have a dress taken in than it is to let it out so you could be inbetween sizes and they want you to go up to make sure you don't have to have it taken out anywhere. For example, I tried on a size 10 and it fit perfectly everywhere except my chest. I ordered a 12 and I'll have to have the waist taken in, but that was easier than having the bust taken out.
  • Thanks guys!

Part of the reason I'm so skeptical is because I've ordered BM dresses based off of size charts before and they ended up ridiculously huge *everywhere*!  Then the last wedding I was in I was able to try on a sample in my size and it fit like a glove (even being strapless).  Basically experience has taught me to be wary of size charts :(

I'll probably end up going with the 14 to play it safe--I've got my mom's worry genes :)  I'll try asking local tailors if they can possibly give me a rough estimate before I order as well.  Do you think it's reasonable to expect to keep it under $100 to take in a fairly simple bodice (i.e. just gathers/pleating, no beadwork or anything like that) and possibly add straps (I can order extra fabric with the dress so no worries about matching)?  I'm completely clueless about what alterations cost...
  • seshat303 said:
    Thanks guys!

Part of the reason I'm so skeptical is because I've ordered BM dresses based off of size charts before and they ended up ridiculously huge *everywhere*!  Then the last wedding I was in I was able to try on a sample in my size and it fit like a glove (even being strapless).  Basically experience has taught me to be wary of size charts :(

I'll probably end up going with the 14 to play it safe--I've got my mom's worry genes :)  I'll try asking local tailors if they can possibly give me a rough estimate before I order as well.  Do you think it's reasonable to expect to keep it under $100 to take in a fairly simple bodice (i.e. just gathers/pleating, no beadwork or anything like that) and possibly add straps (I can order extra fabric with the dress so no worries about matching)?  I'm completely clueless about what alterations cost...

My alterations were $360.00 for a hem, bustle and taking in the bodice.  It can vary greatly on geogrophy.    A lot of brides around here have said alterations have run them $150ish, but again, that can drastically vary.   I wouldn't count on it being less than $100.00 though.  Maybe just for the bodice portion, but if you need a hem or a bustle, that can shift significantly.
  • As for the sizing, I normally wear a size 4. The size 6 just barely fit, so I ordered an 8. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Since I'm going tea-length I definitely won't have to worry about a bustle, and there's way more leeway with the hem than if it were floor length so I won't necessarily need a hem and even then the bottom of this dress has zero detail so hemming would be super basic (take it up from the bottom vs taking it apart at the waist).

I'm taking my shopping buddy out tomorrow to show her the dresses I found when I went out with my mom and I figure I'll go from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards