Wedding Etiquette Forum

Shower gift etiquette

Ack, we're getting so close to the wedding, and I'm having so many questions come up.  The list keeps growing!

We got our first wedding gifts yesterday!  One was a check that someone sent with their RSVP, and I know that I'm supposed to cash it, send a thank you immediately, and use the money once we're married.  No issue there.

We got a package from BBB, so I know it's off our registry because I haven't ordered anything from them recently.  Question is, now what?  I'm having a "surprise" shower.  I'm not allowed to know when the date is, which has made it impossible to plan around.  But based on everything that's been said to me, I think it's tomorrow, or possibly Sunday. 

Should I wait to open this gift until the shower?  What if I'm wrong, and the shower isn't this weekend?  The soonest it could be is 3 weeks from tomorrow if that's the case.  I want to send a thank you soon so that whoever gave it to us knows we got it.  My FI told me to wait a few days, which is just another clue leading me to believe the shower is soon.  Hopefully it's tomorrow and I can avoid this whole mess.  I guess if the shower isn't this weekend, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it.  What's the proper thing to do here?

While I'm on the subject, I just want to double check my etiquette.  If someone sends us a gift after the shower, I open it and send a thank you immediately, right?  I don't wait until the wedding to open it, right?  I just don't use it until after the wedding, that much I know.  Just wanted to make sure of that.

Thanks so much for your help! 

Re: Shower gift etiquette

• Open it and send a thank you right away.
  • Thanks PPs.  That's what I thought.  I think my FI told me just to wait a couple days partly because it was his way of hinting that stuffs happening soon.  He knows how stressed out I've been trying to plan around the "suprise", but has promised the hosts that he'll go along with it and not tell me.  My mom, on the other hand was like "No, that's for the shower!  You need to wait!".  Um, ok.  Based on how weird everyone has been acting, the shower has to be tomorrow.  It just makes too much sense.  But still, I'll open it tonight and get the thank you sent tomorrow.  Thanks again!
  • A surprise shower where they won't even tell you "mysteriously" to keep a date open (or just make fake plans with you so you don't double-book) sounds awful, I'm sorry you're going through that aggravation.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards