Wedding Woes
Options

Have to buy a trendy and expensive high chair

I spoke with DD's speech/feeding therapist last night. Turns out that the high chair we have at home is causing a lot of the feeding issues we have with DD.

It turns out that if DD is in a position that doesn't activate her trunk muscles, she uses her TONGUE(!) to balance herself. Which hinders feeding because you can't eat with your tongue out.

Her recommendation is the Stokke Tripp Trapp. It's expensive, but it will carry her through adulthood as an actual chair. The therapist also wants us to get DD a more medically study stroller, but luckily the PT and OT disagree. Especially since we're working so hard on getting DD to walk.

Seriously, this is so beyond frustration just across the board. And expensive. Early Intervention might be able to help, or the therapist might be able to write a letter to insurance to get the high chair covered as a medical/therapy necessity. Regardless, it's a PITA. And just one more thing on the heaping plate-o-crap.

Re: Have to buy a trendy and expensive high chair

• Options
    I had to google that.  Holy crap.
  • Options
    Sorry Dixie.  I can imagine it sucks to be told at every turn that it's going to be something else and that something else is going to be $$$. 
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Damn.  I'm so sorry.  Maybe try to reach out to someone at the company? 
  • Options
    At least it's pretty? 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6, I might try that. I know the therapist was speaking to our coordinator about what can be done via EI.

I DID just get my 5 year anniversary "bonus." It would cover the chair and the tray (tray is an additional $50 on amazon) and leave me a little bit to get a new purse.
  • Options
    It is a pretty highchair, but that is quite pricey.

What kind of high chair do you have now?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Fisher Price space saver. We got it 1) because we live in a small apartment 2) it's portable and 3) we didn't know DD had any issues when we bought it.
  • Options
    My parents have one of those at their house. It's unfortunate it's not working for her, although I never would have thought a high chair had anything to do with it.

I really hope that you can get some financial help with the new highchair.
  • Options
    Loveshine, I found it so interesting, albeit a PITA. For some people, especially those with muscle tone issues, posture can make all the difference in the world.
  • Options
    I really hope the new highchair will help her and alleviate at least some of the stress as far as her eating. 
  • Options
    I've been looking up alternatives. Still $150+. I've emailed links to her SLP. Hopefully one of those would also work well.
  • Options
    Would any type of sturdier high chair work?

I have the peg perego. It's not much cheaper at $250, but it's a good, sturdy high chair. It still has that cushiony seat though,but the back does look more supportive than the space saver one.
  • Options
    It really needs to be a straight back chair with a place for her to very firmly plant her feet.
  • Options
    Yeah this one probably wouldn't be good then. I really hope you can find something at a cheaper price, or at least get some sort of discount off the cost.
  • Options
    loufusloufus member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I was able to get a used Tripp Trapp type chair on Craigslist for under $100.  It might be worth considering.
  • Options

Damn, Dixie, I'm sorry to hear that.

DD had a Tripp Trapp, and yeah, it was ridiculously expensive, but she loved it.  Hated the previous high chair (Chicco something or other) and did really well in the TT.  I will say that she stopped using it when she was three or so (by then we had long since removed the baby seat and lowered the seat/footrest), so some of the claims on their website about how long it can theoretically be used may not be practical.  But it worked really well when we needed it.

Do you absolutely need the tray?  Just checking--we always used it without and pulled her right up to the table, but your preference/needs may be different.

• Options
    Hi Dixie, I'm not sure what state you are in but have you looked into the katie becket waiver or any other programs? I have a 3 year old daughter who is severely disabled and once we were able to get the waiver for her it drastically changed the financial aspect for us. It also opened the door to a lot of other programs that have been incredible for her.

Sorry this is short. I'm on my phone which isn't the easiest. I can explain or help you with anything once I'm at home and can actually type.
  • Options
    @tiffad, we haven't looked into any of the waivers yet, but we will be. EI has been incredibly helpful, as has DD's program. She's in a hospital based day program for EI (she's 2. )

@heffalump we *do* need the tray because she's not ready to be at the table. Plus we need it for other therapies. Also, she'll probably use the seat for a very long time because of the posturing that it provides.  I sent the therapist links to the keekaroo and a couple of others that are similar. But I also know that I can get the TT for $179 at one site and the tray for $50 on amazon.
  • Options
    @DixieNormous330 Start looking now and getting all the paperwork in. The process is long for everything but well worth it. Seriously, when EI ends it just ends. A lot of people describe as falling off a cliff and it really is. One day you have all these therapists and connections from EI then you're child turns three and everything is done. We waited to put in everything for Katie Beckett and I really regretted it afterwards. Now that she's on the waiver it pays for everything that's left over from our insurance including all copays and pays for things that insurance won't cover. We also needed a specific chair for eating that was turned down by insurance but covered through the waiver. Its also bridged the gap for her wheelchair, prosthetic, horseback riding, medications, hospital stays, diapers after she turns three if she needs them, etc. Katie Beckett doesn't take into account your finances only your child's so it has endless programs she can get into if you choose once she is three. Do you think your daughter will be transitioning into your local school sytem when she turns three or to a more specialized school?
  • Options
    @tiffad, she can't go into the local school system. At least not yet. Luckily she's a January baby so we're graced to 3.5. We've already started talking to our OSC about the transition. I'm also working on getting a Special Needs Lawyer to draw up a trust and the like and I have a call into the social worker assigned to DD at her program to start the medicaid/waiver process.

She's got a feeding tube and right now we're paying out of pocket for her pediasure.
  • Options
    @DixieNormous330 Which state are you in? The waiver functions a bit differently depending on your state. But for us in Rhode Island because it only takes into account her finances she is on WIC. And WIC pays for her pediasure. Which is $100 a month plus some other random food she may eat. Our daughter was never on a feeding tube but has some other issues going on that makes eating/feeding very difficult.

Our daughter is also not in the local school system. I can almost laught at it now but the local officials had looks of absolute horror on their faces when I described what she needed and daily life at the initial meeting. Needless to say we were quickly tracked out.

• Options
    @tiffad - we're in NY.

I'm fairly certain we'll get looks like you did.
  • Options
    @DixieNormous330 it sucks about the cost, especially for something that looks like Ikea furniture gone wrong, but hopefully will be a big help to Miss M's eating/therapy. insurance sucks. :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards