Just Engaged and Proposals

Sweet Proposal Story

Kate McCayKate McCay member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
We have been engaged for awhile but I never posted in here. I think the story is really sweet but I might be bias. He proposed on his 28th birthday, September 14th.  We are getting married October 6th and I couldn't be happier! The story was written right after it happened: 

Josh and I have been dating for over a year now and although I thought he might ask me sometime soon I never thought he would propose on our trip to Georgia to attend my cousins wedding.

About a month ago I saw a quote that I felt fit our relationship quite well – A perfect relationship isn’t ever actually perfect, it’s just one where both people never give up.

Like every couple we have had our struggles, the majority surrounded by the insecurities I have in myself.  Since the quote was so perfect for us my design side took over and I created a desktop wallpaper for my computer.

I could tell when Josh came over that night and saw my computer that he loved it as much as I did.  Little did I know this was one of the reasons he knew we were meant to be together forever because no matter how bad things might get we will never give up on each other.

The week before our trip Josh got extremely sick.  He had a high fever and viral infection making it difficult for him to talk or do just about anything.  I told him he didn’t have to go but after being to the doctors on Wednesday he was feeling a little bit better by the time we had to leave.

What I found out later was that the only reason he went to the doctors in the first place was to find some kind of medicine that would allow him to actually speak. Josh doesn't like going to hospitals. He even told the doctors and nurses about his plan and all he wanted to do was to be able to talk.

Friday was a long day of driving and I knew Josh wasn’t feeling well when we finally got to Georgia.  That night we were supposed to meet up with my family to have dinner and possibly play some games. 

Somehow we got the wrong address to the restaurant and ended up 30 minutes away on the other side of Atlanta.  Once we got the correct address it was already getting late and I was crying because I was so frustrated with the detour. Josh could barely talk at this point and I kept insisting that we just call it a night and see my family tomorrow.

Of course I didn’t know his big plans and he persisted that we had to go. So we went and arrived late to dinner where most of my family was waiting.

Afterward we went back to their hotel across the street to play games in the lobby.  Once we were all around the table my Aunt Carol wanted to make a toast to weddings
and to families and my cousin, Jackie, and her husband closing on their first home.

Jackie then pointed to Josh saying and to birthdays, since it was his birthday. Josh then stood up and said well I actually have something better to celebrate.

The second he stood up I knew exactly what he was about to do but honestly I couldn’t believe it was happening.  I can’t even remember everything he said cause I was so stunned.

In his speech he even mentioned the quote before he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.  I could barley get the words out yes, still in a daze of what was actually happening and how much it meant to me.

Probably my favorite part, other then having the man I love ask me to be his wife, was after he puts the beautiful ring on my finger and we kiss my grandmother who had been insisting all night that we had to sing to Josh, she simply says, “Well, I still think we need to sing him happy birthday.” We all laughed and everyone was so happy for us.

Everyone busts out laughing and was excited for the two of us.  Looking back I just feel like a dork for just sitting there, I didn’t do anything, I didn’t get up and give him a hug nothing, I was honestly just shocked, there is no other way to describe it. Oh and I wish I could have been wearing a cuter outfit.

But anyways, my aunt never did get to finish her toast and since she knew about the proposal ahead of time she was able to record most of it.  In my state of oblivion I didn’t even notice her searching to find her camera when he started speaking.

The rest of the night while we were playing games I could hardly pay attention to anything.  I was too busy looking at my ring and trying to wrap my head around the fact that we just got engaged.

Afterward, Josh told me how hard it was for him to give that speech and there was so much more he wanted to say but couldn't cause not only was he nervous he was in a lot of physical pain as well. 

I’m glad I got to share that moment with the rest of my family, some of which already knew that he was going to pop the question that night. After we left I called my parents and sister who of course already knew since Josh had the dreaded conversation with my father about asking for my hand.

The next night at the wedding word had gotten around to pretty much everyone even people I didn’t know on the grooms side so we had people coming up and congratulating us all night.  I didn’t want to take away from the bride but she was just so genuinely happy for the two of us.

Our wedding will make the fourth wedding in my family in four years.  They are always great family reunions and I’m happy to be apart of what seems to be a new tradition.

Re: Sweet Proposal Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards