Pre-wedding Parties

Who Goes to the Rehearsal Dinner??

Hi, I am just curious....
I am looking around for places to have the rehearsal dinner...traditionally I know its supposed to be hosted by the groom's parents, however my FH and I are taking care of most of the wedding on our own. In this case we are hosting the rehearsal dinner too. Who gets invited? I know the parents, the wedding party and their significant others, the officiant and their spouse... Is there anyone I would be missing. I know traditionally out of town guests would be invited however I see this as an issue as the only out of town guests are my uncles from my mothers side and they would cause problems with my father, I am sure they would much rather spend time with my grandmother, who also wouldn't be invited for the same reason. I am having 2 readings at the wedding, would we invite them as well... seems like a silly questions but I wanted to be sure, I mean does that need to be rehearsed as well? IDK! Let me know!!
Thanks

Re: Who Goes to the Rehearsal Dinner??

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I personally feel that anyone involved in the wedding itself should be included in the rehearsal dinner invitation.  I don't think the criteria should be whether something actually needs to be rehearsed.  Almost no "position" actually needs to be rehearsed.  The majority of it is common sense.  We did invite our readers to the rehearsal dinner.  We also made sure they had a copy of their reading ahead of time.

I do not feel that out of town guests need to be invited to the rehearsal dinner.  I have attended many out of town weddings.  I never expected to be invited to the rehearsal dinner.  I am perfectly capable of managing dinner plans on my own.
  • I'd say that at a minimum, the couple, parents and immediate families of both, bridesmaids, groomsmen, the officiant, and any spouses/fiance/es/SOs of any of these people need to be invited. 

It's not required that you invite out-of-town guests or anyone else.
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Great! Thanks. I really wouldn't mind inviting these people, I just don't need to deal with that kind of family anxiety 2 days in a row.
  • Ditto what the other ladies have said. Only the wedding party and a few other close relatives will be attending mine. 
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    Thanks you guys. I think I have a better idea of who goes. Would it be inappropriate to have a relaxed rehearsal dinner if the wedding is a formal event?
  • That would be fine.  There's no requirement that the rehearsal dinner has to match the formality of the wedding.  One can be very formal while the other is laid-back.
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    Great! That answers a few questions. We found a great BBQ joint where everyone will be comfortable hanging out with each other since some people will just be meeting others for the first time at that point. 
    Looking forward to a bit of laidback time the day before the wedding.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• Daizy914 said:
    Rehearsal dinner = Wedding party only.

In my wedding party we have a total of 20 people
    (the breakdown of the 20 is myself, my fiance, his parents, my mom, grandmother and aunt, 5 GM & BM's, the flower girl and ring bearer)
     and there is only one person who is coming (this is the 20th person) but not in the wedding party and that is my FSIL who is one of my BM's, her husband. He is coming because his two children are the flower girl and ring bearer. He is however participating in the wedding during the ceremony, he will be doing a religious reading.
    Wedding party and SOs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards