Flowers

Confused about what florists actually offer

So I was poking around on this board and reading the thread about average flower costs, and realized that my original flowers budget (under $1000) was ridiculously low for a New England wedding. My dream was yellow tulips for the bridesmaids, yellow tulips with blue irises for me, red tulip boutonnieres for the groomsmen, and red+yellow tulips for the centerpieces during the reception.

To scale back on my costs, I started looking into wholesale flowers and found that I can get enough tulips (100 stems) to do the centerpieces for $200. But for the bridal and bridesmaid's bouquets, I think I need someone professional to actually make the bouquet because I can't just grab a bunch of stems and call it a bouquet - right?? There's some work involved in securing the flowers together and arranging them, correct?

Well I e-mailed a few florists, and two responded. They had very different responses. One said they could not guarantee tulips because it would be too late in the season (this would be 14th June 2014). The other said sure, I can do tulips, for the bridesmaid's bouquets that will be $50 each "including a vase". I don't get what she is selling me, though - if it's in a vase, then is that just going to be the same thing as me ordering the wholesale flowers and sticking them in a vase?? How is that a bouquet? And why is she happy to provide tulips when the other florist says they're not in season at that time? I'm just trying not to get ripped off here. I'd rather go DIY and save money, but I thought there was some special bouquet-making skill that I didn't possess and would be paying for. Thoughts?

Re: Confused about what florists actually offer

• If you Youtube Blooms by the Box, they have tutorials on how to make your own bouquet. I've watched a few of their videos on ideas for how to do my own centerpieces. I think you'll need floral tape & pins, but I'm not 100% sure. Just keep in mind that you have to keep wholesale flowers fresh & to ask the best way to do that.
  • Thanks. For the centerpieces I was just going to stick the stems in vases once I received them and then put out those vases on the tables. I am worried about the bouquets, though. I'd rather have a florist do it for me. But maybe I should get over it and check those videos like you suggest.
  • If you are only using one type of flower, bouquets are fairly easy to make, you just need to wrap them tightly. It's more complicated when you have many different flowers and you need to arrange them.

Why don't you grab some tulips and try it out and see how it goes? Right now 10 stems is about $8-12, I think it's worth $10 to play around and see if you can save yourself the money.
  • That is definitely true. It would be awesome if I could make my own! Thanks! But how early can I make them? Probably no earlier than the morning of, right?
  • Tulips are quite fragile and difficult to work with. They're really not for amateurs. Arrangements are difficult as they turn toward the light rapidly. Their heads are quite heavy relative to their stem strength. This gives them a droopy look, which is a look only some people like. Finally, they wilt quickly. Frequently you'll hear suggestions to use flowers that are in season. This is not so relevant anymore as we import almost all our flowers from Central America. Tulips, however, are the exception. They really need the cool weather. I recommend you talk to many, many florists so you can be sure you'll be satisfied with the results.
  • Wow, that's almost the opposite of the impression I got from watching the videos. It looked so easy. I do think your advice of talking to florists is good, but I hate to waste their time if I'm just going to go DIY in the end.
  • I practiced with fake flowers 1 to take my time to practiceand 2 to get a real count of the flowers ill need to make my bouquets. then decided to just go with fake and do them all myself bouquets and centerpcs. Just start with a flower then add another 2. use floral tape to hold stems together while adding more stems and tape about 2inches down. Some flower shops in my area offer classes you could check in your area and Michaels hold work shops like this too. afloral.com have premade bouquet packages also check out costco.

• @doctorpreggo the florist meant by "and to include a vase" is that the bouquet will be hand wrapped with tape and ribbon and then placed in a vase of a few inches of water to keep it fresh prior to and after your ceremony.  For you ceremony you remove the bouquet from the vase, dry off the ends of the stems, and carry it down the aisle.  Flowers, when hand tied have to be kept in water so that they do not wilt and die after an hour or two.

Another thing about tulips you need to know is that they continue to grow after they are cut.  So you may make your bouquets the night before and they look all pretty and perfect but the next morning you could wake up to tulips that have grown and the perfect bouquet is no more.  I used to work for a florist and when we used tulips in centerpieces for weddings we would make the centerpieces the Thursday before and then the day of we would have to go back and recut some the tulips from the centerpieces since they grew.

Finally, I wouldn't suggest you use tulips for bouts.  They are not good out of water and all the bouts will look horrible quickly.

• Maggie0829 that's a lot of helpful advice. I couldn't find much about tulip boutonnieres online, plus they seem a bit complicated to make, so those I think I was going to get like a boxset from Sam's Club or something. Thanks for explaining about the vase. I guess I was just surprised because the price was so reasonable (only $50 per bouquet for bridesmaids, $125 for my bridal bouquet with irises) that it was almost not much more than DIY. If they're really going to make bouquets for that price then I'm happy going with a florist! 
  • @callalily07 thanks. I am definitely going to practice. However, I'm a bit confused about whether tulips are available in June or not. You say they are a bad idea - and one of the three florists who got back to me agreed. The other two, on the other hand, said they would be able to find me tulips. Are they bad florists?
  • @doctorpreggo no they are not bad florists.  Now a days it is somewhat easy to get any type of flower even if it is out of season in your region.  Most flowers bought by florists come from South America, Holland and then California and Florida where it is pretty warm year round.

Will tulips be more expensive at different times of the year?  Yes.  Will they not be a big a beautiful at different times of hte year?  Yes.  But they are still available.

The most important part when it comes to DIYing your flowers is the cutting, cleaning and processing of the flowers.  If this is not done correctly the lifespan of the flowers shortens incredibly.  IMO, unless you are using rather hearty flowers like daisies and carnations then a professional florist should be used.  And any good professional florist will be able to stay within your budget but still be able to provide you with arrangements that meet your vision.

And I do not care what anyone else says, it is a known fact that cut tulips continue to grow and bend due to light and gravity no matter what you do to them.  So if you want perfect round arrangements or bouquets tulips probably aren't your best option.

• Check out Sam's Club. They make floral arrangements, including bouquets, and deliver them a couple days before your event and give specific instructions on how to keep the flowers fresh. It's significantly cheaper than paying a florist
  • Thanks @DianaMick1215 - I've checked Sam's Club but for some reason they don't do tulips! Fiftyflowers.com do - though I can see prices already went up significantly since last week even.
  • @doctorpreggo no they are not bad florists.  Now a days it is somewhat easy to get any type of flower even if it is out of season in your region.  Most flowers bought by florists come from South America, Holland and then California and Florida where it is pretty warm year round.

Will tulips be more expensive at different times of the year?  Yes.  Will they not be a big a beautiful at different times of hte year?  Yes.  But they are still available.

The most important part when it comes to DIYing your flowers is the cutting, cleaning and processing of the flowers.  If this is not done correctly the lifespan of the flowers shortens incredibly.  IMO, unless you are using rather hearty flowers like daisies and carnations then a professional florist should be used.  And any good professional florist will be able to stay within your budget but still be able to provide you with arrangements that meet your vision.

And I do not care what anyone else says, it is a known fact that cut tulips continue to grow and bend due to light and gravity no matter what you do to them.  So if you want perfect round arrangements or bouquets tulips probably aren't your best option.

It's called phototropic and I did not say that tulips do not continue to grow, I said there are things you can do to control them. And yes there are things that can be done to stop them, you are ignorant.  Look at the thousands of pictures and designs with tulips that involve manipulation.  You really don't know what you are talking about and/or don't have enogh experience to know.  That is a fact.

So calling me ignorant because I don't fucking agree with what you are saying is a cool thing do huh?  Wow.  Yes, I fucking know that tulips can be manipulated but I am sorry but I worked in a shop that did not believe in fucking with flowers just to get them to stand on their head in a damn vase.  I am of the group that believes that flowers should be used as they naturally are rather then forcing them to do something that is "artistic and contemporary".

Who knew that you were the end all be all to floral design?  Forgive me for not bowing down to your royal highness of floral design.  Get the fuck over yourself!

• callalily07 Those are all great questions but I don't think that florist is interest in going into that much detail! I asked her if she was sure about tulips, and then she sent the following:

"I have been doing a little research and yes tulips are generally only available until the end of may...I check out a few sites from California and its about $230 for 100 stems...yikes! but they are guarenteed fresh! SO...unless they would last till the14th of June I am afraid its not looking in your favor.  I will keep you in mind and consider some other options thay may be helpful...."

Seems like she's not really very familiar with tulips...?
  • @doctorpreggo I am glad you are looking into florists that seem to be very helpful.  I know that your dream are tulips but have you given any thought to other types of flowers if tulips aren't possible?  Tulips to me are "happy and fun" flowers, not sure why but whenever I see a tulip I smile, probably because it makes me think of spring and the fact that summer is right around the corner.  What about using gerbs (both mini and regular) with irises?  You could even mix in a few roses as well and then use the roses as bouts?  Just a suggestion :)

But keeping my fingers crossed that the tulips work out for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards