Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

How to Set Up Hand-Held Chuppah During the Ceremony?

Ours will be an indoor inter-denominational ceremony officiated by a minister from my former church.  Because my fiancee is Jewish (although not religious), we will be incorporating a hand-held chuppah and the breaking of the glass in our ceremony.  What are some appropriate options for setting up the chuppah during the ceremony?  

Might it be acceptable to have someone carry it to the front during the procession?  Or could it be preset at the front of the room, either lying on a row of chairs, or leaning against a wall until the appropriate time?  Would it be disrespectful to have it carefully lying on the ground in front of the front row of chairs until the appropriate time?  We need to coordinate things so that it can be introduced into the ceremony and erected in a smooth and coordinated fashion at the appropriate time. 

Personally, I would prefer to simply anchor it in tastefully-decorated flagpole stands to avoid the clutter of having four additional people at the front of the room and further obstructing the view of guests, but my fiancee likes the idea of it being hand-held by close friends.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: How to Set Up Hand-Held Chuppah During the Ceremony?

• The huppah is set up in advance, not during the procession.  It is held up by 4 people.  This is considered an honor.
  • Thanks.  But how far in advance? I don't think we'd want to ask them to stand there holding it up during the full 15-30 minutes before the ceremony when the earliest guests start to take their seats.

• Just before the ceremony starts.
  • edited June 2013
    I've actually come across some references to (and photos of) the chuppah being carried in by the four holders during the processsion, both during very traditional and more liberal wedding ceremonies, and I think I like that idea.  Thanks.
  • You're welcome.  Mazel tov!
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    At my brother's wedding, I helped carry/hold the chuppah. I can't remember the order very well, but I know we came out after the officiant, but before the bridal party.

It does not have to be set up prior to the ceremony.

Often, asking people to hold it (instead of having it set up and free-standing) is a way to honor more people without having to increase the size of the wedding party.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • To clarify: By "in advance," I just mean that it is set up before the processional.
  • Our chuppah was held by family members.  They walked in--I believe the cantor walked in, then the chuppah-carriers, and then my H with his parents (we didn't have bridesmaids or groomsmen) followed by ring bearers and then me with my parents.  

We definitely practiced this the day before.  The four carriers walked in holding the poles straight up with the chuppah tied to the tops of the poles but collapsed (so they walked in two rows of two, if that makes sense, all close together).  My H helped hold the chuppah for a friend that used our poles, and H and another guy carried the poles in together, holding them parallel to the ground, and then the other two people that were going to hold it waited up front, so they set it up once two of them walked it forward.  

I don't think it would be disrespectful to have it carefully lying on the floor unless you were using a tallit as the huppah, which I know people do.  

Let me know if you have more questions!
  • In my first wedding, the huppah was tied to the poles in advance, and the four people walked down the aisle together, holding the folded huppah between them, in advance of the bride and groom. then when they got to the end, they spread out the canopy by standing in a square. We practiced it like twice, it was pretty intuitive.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks, pesematology.  My fiancee doesn't want it brought in as part of the formal procession, she feels that the ceremony of that invests the chuppah with a bit more of the orthodox symbolism than we intend.  I don't necessarily agree, but I can understand where she's coming from better than I did at first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards