Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Checks Galore!

I'm going to apologize in advance for the LONG post, but I've been on a WR check roll lately! This weekend, FI, FMIL, and I went home to Pgh for our food tasting! It went so well and we finally have a menu :) Here it is!

Passed Hors d'oeuvres:
- spanakopita
- tomato, buffalo mozzarella, and basil pesto on bruschetta
- sliced sirloin of beef, carmelized vidalia onions on baguette with a creamy horseradish sauce
- vegetarian egg roll with sweet and sour sauce
- deep fried artichoke with fontina cheese inside

Soup and Salad:
- Italian Wedding Soup
and
- Mixed field greens with mandarin oranges, crumbled blue cheese and cranberries with tangerine vinaigrette

Entree options:
- Rosemary roasted loin of pork with orange and dried cherry chutney
- Pistachio crusted sea bass with chardonnay beurre blanc sauce
- housemade vegetable lasagna with ricotta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and spinich

Cake:
- Pumpkin spice cake with praline buttercream filling and vanilla buttercream frosting
- the top tier (our 'anniversary' cake) will be white cake with raspberry buttercream filling :)

Also, we FINALLY registered this weekend! We had my mom and FMIL there to help us decide what we will and will not need which was great - we registered at Macy's, William-Sonoma, and Crate&Barrel and are hoping to also do Sears or Home Depot for a grill and tools etc. I'm super excited!

Last but not least, we decided on groomsmen attire! We decided on suits for the guys - that way they can have something to keep them afterward, instead of paying 170 to rent a tux and return it. Plus, I'm not a fan of the shiny lapels (sp?) on tuxes. We are going with a charcoal color suit with a subtle stripe (I let FI pick) from Men's Warehouse - it was on sale for 199.99 with a buy one get one free option! The guys can go in 1/2 each and spend no more than 150 with alterations. I'm super excited about it - we've contacted all the guys and they are excited about the idea - they are all going to their local MW to get their sizes then we're going to order all of them! woohoo! i'm so excited!

Oh, one more thing - I finally got my stamp in so I can finish my invitations! I also got the proof in for my custom map so that should be moving right along also! Hopefully this weekend FMIL and I are going to get the invites done :) I also decided to print the invitation addresses on my home computer and got them all done on my snow days! They look so nice and it saves me a little money which is great! I'm rolling right along! :)

ETA: Forgot to add that my mom and I also stopped by the bridal salon and Gregory told me that my dress will be in this Friday! Now I have to get home again for the fittings!! SO excited!

Re: Checks Galore!

• dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

wow impresssive checks!!! So exciting!

Your menu sounds DE-lish! And i love your idea for the guys suits - so smart!

Did you have fun registering? How long did it take you to get through those places?

• gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    db - thanks! The food really was delicious and during the tasting we also finalized the linens, space layout, etc. It felt like a massive load was lifted off my shoulders! It was also great b/c with our package, we get a coordinator and the girl we're working with is awesome! She is basically handling everything for me which makes me feel so relieved!

As for registering, it took A LOT longer than I thought it would! It took us about 4 hours to do Macy's and William-Sonoma (we did those one day) then the next day we went back to C&B and that took another 2ish hours... it was exhausting but fun! It also really helped to have my mom and FMIL there to let us know what types of things we need and will really use and what to skip on. It was fun :)
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on all of those checks! Your menu sounds delicious, especially the wedding soup (my favorite) and the hors d'oeuvres!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!  And oh my goodness....that menu sounds absolutely amazing!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!!

Kim - great to 'see' you!!! Wedding soup is my favorite too :)
  • Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the checks, G!  Menu sounds awesome and yay for the dress being in soon!  

Registering was exhausting for us-- it took us forever at Macy's and FI hated every second of it, so we went to BB&B and scanned like 2 items and left.  I finished it up online.  It was much easier that way.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    You are so good!! Congrats on all the checks! And, your menu has made me very, very, very hungry! :)
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Janiceb2010Janiceb2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the checks!!!  Definitely sounds like a delicious and exquisite menu.  Awesome!!!  (PS- I absolutely love spanokopita)

Pittsburgh September Siggy - Our honeymoon will be at the Royal Suites Turquesas in P*nta Cana. Super excited!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks again girls!! I'm super excited about it :)

Ash - I hear you on FI hating it... my FI hated every second of it! I'm definitely going to be managing mine online a lot - he was getting so ansy - especially toward the end!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on the checks! Your menu sounds delicious!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    Yeah!  You're closing in now!  The hors d'oeurves sound fantastic!  After reading through all of them, I was wondering how anyone will have room for the main course:) haha  You're guests will be raving!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards