August 2013 Weddings
Options

Awkward invitation moment...

This might just take the cake of awkward "can we bring..." moment...

Let me start this by explaining that I adore my future mother-in-law and I think she is the greatest! She is kind, caring, and cooks like an angel! Seriously, she is great!

OK, so on to the story,,,

We are having an Hawaiian wedding and our guests are using the trip as a vacation. My fiance's cousin has invited her friends to come to Hawaii with them and she felt strongly that her friends should be invited to the wedding. So she did the logical (read sarcastically) thing and invited them without speaking to us about it. She then tried talking to my future mother in law and asking if it would be OK. My MIL talked to us, we said no, and she relayed the message on...well, cousin was too embarassed to tell her friends that they weren't actually invited, so she convinced my MIL into talking to us again and begging us to let them come.So, if that wasn't awkward enough, here is where this story goes down in awkward moment history...

We were visiting the future in laws for the weekend and I had just gotten out of the shower. I was in the guest bedroom getting ready and blow drying my hair. (I blow dry my hair in the nude because i get so hot otherwise...) and i thought i heard a knock on the door. I convinced myself that I was hearing things and kept blow drying. Then the door opened and it was my mother in law (my fiance and his family are Vietnamese) and she came right in and told me "it's ok, youre my daughter now" over and over again. She then told me that it would be really nice if we would just let the friends have an invitation to the wedding because the cousin was too embarassed to uninvite them and the guests would give us at least $200 for a gift (I LOVE that Asians give cash for wedding gifts). In an attempt to just stop this awkward moment of me being nude in front of my FMIL, I quickly agree that the cousin should bring their guests.MIL smiled, said that we just make cousin a very happy woman and walked out. After a sigh of relief, I continuted to blow dry my hair....and then the door opened again. MIL was back to ask me if I would be the one to bring this up with my showering fiance as it would be received better coming from me. And out she left.

I was embarassed at first, but now I am so glad it happened because it is the greatest story to tell...so funny.

The second she left the second time, I grabbed my phone and texted my bridesmaids...so funny! All you can do is laugh at that moment!

Now, as for the "uninvited" invited guests? The received their invitation and RSVP'd "yes" a few days ago. Hopefully it *pays* off for them to be there!

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Awkward invitation moment...

• Options
    Oh. My. God. That is hysterical! I probably would've died!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LOL! That is too funny!!! Thats great you are taking this the right way and not freaking out about your MIL walking in on you in the nude, I know some women that would freak out and hold a grudge against their MIL for life. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards